Ceika Coilovers on Porsche 996/997.1 RWD

CapnHyaku

Hi all,

Getting desperate for some help.  Has anyone fitted CEIKA coilovers on their 996/997.1 RWD (not 4/AWD)?

I have a concern about the length of the front strut and it's ride height and want to be sure about the fitment before proceeding further in the replacement.

Below is the new strut next to old and where they are expected to rest on the knuckle before fastening (see red lines).  This is meant to be "at or near ride height" according to product specification.

image.thumb.png.0f39d8a63fa32dd4495e462fc2b18417.png

3 hours ago, CapnHyaku said:

Hi all,

Getting desperate for some help.  Has anyone fitted CEIKA coilovers on their 996/997.1 RWD (not 4/AWD)?

I have a concern about the length of the front strut and it's ride height and want to be sure about the fitment before proceeding further in the replacement.

Below is the new strut next to old and where they are expected to rest on the knuckle before fastening (see red lines).  This is meant to be "at or near ride height" according to product specification.

image.thumb.png.0f39d8a63fa32dd4495e462fc2b18417.png

Bit of blurb on rennlist that might be of help.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1061943-ceika-performance-coilovers-my-review.html

42 minutes ago, tomo said:

Bit of blurb on rennlist that might be of help

Thanks.  Yeah I read that and the photos were from a C4S.  They have different front strut layout/knuckle.  So wasn't sure still.

I saw one other photo of the fronts installed on a C2 on the CEIKA website, but can't tell if they got the "super low" kit or mine.

A mate who races (not porsche unfortunately) and has done plenty of coil overs has convinced me to just get it on the ground again and see if it's wrong or not.  He says... can't tell by looking at it out of the car, based on the big difference between coil-overs and the bee-hive spring used on the stock shocks.  Will share pics soon!

3 hours ago, CapnHyaku said:

Thanks.  Yeah I read that and the photos were from a C4S.  They have different front strut layout/knuckle.  So wasn't sure still.

I saw one other photo of the fronts installed on a C2 on the CEIKA website, but can't tell if they got the "super low" kit or mine.

A mate who races (not porsche unfortunately) and has done plenty of coil overs has convinced me to just get it on the ground again and see if it's wrong or not.  He says... can't tell by looking at it out of the car, based on the big difference between coil-overs and the bee-hive spring used on the stock shocks.  Will share pics soon!

Yep, I suppose having a crack is the only way to find out, Good luck.

If they are wrong Ceika are pretty good at replacing things free of cost to you. It's more about the time for the parts to arrive. 

Can you adjust the lower section down by twisting the body? It looks like it was put in the lowest setting for postage

The coilovers will also be much stiffer than factory and comparing the shock droop of standard to coilovers will always net a huge difference in length. I would suggest adjusting the shock length to make it a little longer and then installing it to see what the real ride height is. 

Also look at shortened adjustable sway bar links if you lower the car, as they will be under tension while at ride height. It will make the car nervous on first turn in if not adjusted.

Also before you start, measure from the bottom of the rim to the guard to get your ride height baseline so you know what to aim for each corner.

Sorry for the general info dump

9 minutes ago, woot woot said:

If they are wrong Ceika are pretty good at replacing things free of cost to you.

Thanks mate.  They got back to me and reassured me the photos of ride height on the new shocks look correct and are fitted in the knuckle correctly.  I can't wait to get it on the ground and see though.  Waiting on some other parts to do while the car is up and wheels are off, always find something new that needs work when I look underneath the petticoat.

So here is a side by side.  I selected the option "Low" on the CEIKA site, instead of "Extra Low" or "Lift".  The pop-out text describes "Low" as adjustable from "around stock height to -10".  I have the front at the highest setting and it is sitting super low.  I will continue to work through this with CEIKA but so far... I am not impressed.

Before:

image.thumb.png.fc5c3c14a530a3ae512bff3afb08548f.png

After:

image.thumb.png.1b0299207a5dfe8391444bb33a90f3d7.png

4 minutes ago, tomo said:

They must have more height available

They are at the highest setting (two locking collars at bottom in OP).  Vendor said if need to go higher to increase the preload a bit, but that is like the opposite of what to do unless you want a shit ride.  I'll see what they say after the latest photos.  Hopefully they realise they have indeed sent me the wrong ones...

It looks lower than mine, But just went to the garage and had a gork, It looks to be about the height as mine, You have to keep a eye out for crook bits of road, But besides that it rides good.

6 minutes ago, JWM said:

I would have thought you'd be aiming for something similar?

Basically trying to maintain factory ride height, but refresh 20 year old suspension with more comfort and future adjustability.  Will let you know what the CEIKA says after these photos etc.

7 minutes ago, CapnHyaku said:

Basically trying to maintain factory ride height, but refresh 20 year old suspension with more comfort and future adjustability.  Will let you know what the CEIKA says after these photos etc.

Good plan ... I went with the lowered springs but they were too low in hindsight ... just refreshing and having nice new factory height would have been the better option. If I had kept my car longer I think I would have swapped the springs by now.

Good luck with it 👍

1 hour ago, JWM said:

Good plan ... I went with the lowered springs but they were too low in hindsight ... just refreshing and having nice new factory height would have been the better option. If I had kept my car longer I think I would have swapped the springs by now.

Good luck with it 👍

After 6 months or so with my lowered springs I'm quite happy, and haven't given any thought at all to returning to the factory springs.  Mine were H&Rs, presume pretty similar to the Eibachs.  They are on stock shockies.

This is my front now

20230508_153744.jpg

Oh dear, just noticed my crest is not pointed towards the valve.  Smack on back of hand....

1 hour ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

After 6 months or so with my lowered springs I'm quite happy, and haven't given any thought at all to returning to the factory springs.  Mine were H&Rs, presume pretty similar to the Eibachs.  They are on stock shockies.

This is my front now

20230508_153744.jpg

Oh dear, just noticed my crest is not pointed towards the valve.  Smack on back of hand....

My springs are H&R aswell but seem to sit a bit lower, car has been sitting a week, So maybe a bit higher when active. Couple of pics fo reference probably still have 15 mm higher than you.

20230508_165557.jpg

20230508_165629.jpg

Can you wind up the locking collar under the helper spring and squash it more? Then raise the lower locking collar? That spring does not take any load, it's just to keep the main spring from rattling around in droop

Try wind it up 2cm max and see what height the car is. It will probably go up a fair bit as I don't think the motion ratio is 1:1.

For example if you raise the lower locking spring 20cm. It might raise the height 30cm. They do not directly match on many cars.

It maybe a 1cm at the shock to 2cm at the chassis type ratio

Does the bottom part of the shock spin off? Or is it all part of the shock in one piece as some coilovers adjust height by having a bottom peice that spins downwards to adjust height rather than having to touch the spring. It looks like it does but it's hard to tell from the one pic.

If not, the locking ring directly under the helper spring should control ride height. And move that up 1cm and check ride height. 

On 08/05/2023 at 18:55, woot woot said:

Does the bottom part of the shock spin off?

Nope.  The RWD front knuckle clamps onto the strut body directly.

10 hours ago, woot woot said:

Any luck with this?

Kind of.  CEIKA finally after back and forth admitted to get close to stock height I either need to increase my preload, which is a no-no generally with coilovers (adjusting a linear spring's compression to adjust ride height, to be precise) or machine a larger spacer.  I am going with the larger spacer route.  I am VERY lucky to have a neighbour who's a regular at the track to coach me on this upgrade.

I finally got on level slab and took ride height measurements of the kit fitted as delivered.  I am gobsmacked.

Maybe 80mm ride (stock for me is 138mm minimum) at the front (I couldn't actually measure lower).  113mm (min is 153mm) at the rear.

image.thumb.png.1532d8d1fc86bf246e5be5297fa40e6b.pngimage.png.ff8f9ef4f2890862d6567b46506eab97.pngimage.thumb.png.0af877d7e3e4bbcba2c47fd66a7fb85d.pngimage.thumb.png.a257082a6beca672a18596e3b2fc4502.png

On 12/05/2023 at 22:25, CapnHyaku said:

Nope.  The RWD front knuckle clamps onto the strut body directly.

Kind of.  CEIKA finally after back and forth admitted to get close to stock height I either need to increase my preload, which is a no-no generally with coilovers (adjusting a linear spring's compression to adjust ride height, to be precise) or machine a larger spacer.  I am going with the larger spacer route.  I am VERY lucky to have a neighbour who's a regular at the track to coach me on this upgrade.

I finally got on level slab and took ride height measurements of the kit fitted as delivered.  I am gobsmacked.

Maybe 80mm ride (stock for me is 138mm minimum) at the front (I couldn't actually measure lower).  113mm (min is 153mm) at the rear.

image.thumb.png.1532d8d1fc86bf246e5be5297fa40e6b.pngimage.png.ff8f9ef4f2890862d6567b46506eab97.pngimage.thumb.png.0af877d7e3e4bbcba2c47fd66a7fb85d.pngimage.thumb.png.a257082a6beca672a18596e3b2fc4502.png

I would honestly be stunned if that bottom leg was not adjustable. The whole shock body is threaded and if was solid mounted that would make the coilovers non height adjustable besides adjusting by spring perch, which is rare and obsolete for this type of coilover. Bilstein b14s are spring perch height adjustable only, but you have two sets of locking rings on the shock. One located under the spring which you shouldn't need to touch, and the other where the bottom leg is, and that bottom set should be able to be loosened and then the leg unwound to increase total length and height. 

Any chance you can take more pics of the coilovers up close?

2 hours ago, woot woot said:

I would honestly be stunned if that bottom leg was not adjustable.

I assure you it isn't, CEIKA have confirmed: "The 996 C4 is different, the coilover can be adjusted like a standard coilover (like the rear for example. I attached a picture. We can't make it like that on the C2 because the diameter is too thin )"

2 hours ago, woot woot said:

The whole shock body is threaded and if was solid mounted that would make the coilovers non height adjustable besides adjusting by spring perch, which is rare and obsolete for this type of coilover

Yep, exactly the problem I have.

New spacers on now:

image.png.2f49e08ddd81b600bce550842cfc64f4.png