Apple CarPlay for PCM 3.1

edgy

Hello, 

Has anyone had Apple CarPlay added to their PCM 3.1 locally? 

My Rennlist searching leads me to a few options 

I've decided this is the one mod-con I refuse to live without in a daily driver, so if anyone has had one of these or something equivalent locally, would be good to hear your feedback.

Cheers 

Blows me away that car brands still to this day don't integrate both Apple Carplay and Android Auto. The latter of which is even more egregious due to the fact that 70% of phones (globally) are android based, and many manufacturers will have Carplay and not Android Auto.

1 hour ago, sleazius said:

Blows me away that car brands still to this day don't integrate both Apple Carplay and Android Auto. The latter of which is even more egregious due to the fact that 70% of phones (globally) are android based, and many manufacturers will have Carplay and not Android Auto.

I hear you... it is free money for a lot of these manufacturers (ie Porsche), I am not sure what it costs to "option" it on a new build, but you just know they're having a laugh when you get it (wireless too) on a Kia Picanto as standard equipment! 

In this case, I am looking to add it to vehicle that predates it as standard equipment... it way MY17 that it became an option for the PCM 4.0 iirc

8 hours ago, P-Kay said:

Pretty sure Jeff @MFX did something to his Macan on this front? Perhaps he can chime in on option chosen and current operation/satisfaction?

Yep. I put the Joyeauto unit into my Macan and the most difficult part is getting the dash off to get the unit out. After that it is not too difficult. I did a video on it, but James at Auto Amateur's video is more thorough. 

It is wireless and I have been using it for at least 18 months or so now. Only hiccups I have had was the reverse camera didn't work, but I just had to tweak some dip switches on the unit and it came back. The only other thing is that I listen to the cars regular radio, but I have the carplay running Waze while I drive. If I get a phone call, I can answer it on the screen, but I have to hit the cars Source button and switch from FM to AUX to get sound. If you listen to music or podcasts or whatever all through the Carplay you won't have this issue though.

I am no audiophile so I can't comment on the sound quality. Sounds fine to me, but I wouldn't know the difference ;)

I ordered this Kit from Chris who is very active on various FB groups: Carplay / Android Auto Plug and Play Kit for Porsche PCM 3.1 - 991.1 9 – carplayretrofits 

I think it is based off a similar platform - Chris says that his kit has ironed  out some of the bugs (unconfirmed). 

I am on the fence regarding the install. My 991.1 has the extended Porsche warranty and as much as I would like the Apple Carplay feature, I am not sure I want to deviate from OEM. 

I could be persuaded to move this on if someone wanted to through with the installation.

4 hours ago, Goofen said:

I ordered this Kit from Chris who is very active on various FB groups: Carplay / Android Auto Plug and Play Kit for Porsche PCM 3.1 - 991.1 9 – carplayretrofits 

I think it is based off a similar platform - Chris says that his kit has ironed  out some of the bugs (unconfirmed). 

I am on the fence regarding the install. My 991.1 has the extended Porsche warranty and as much as I would like the Apple Carplay feature, I am not sure I want to deviate from OEM. 

I could be persuaded to move this on if someone wanted to through with the installation.

Not sure about that unit but with mine, the factory system is unchanged. If you disconnected the power to it you would never know it was there. You just toggle between the Carplay and the PCM with the factory Nav button.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...