987.1 2005 Boxster S oil consumption

Sabotage

Hi All, I've had the above now for nearly three years and it's been running fine. I noticed however that yesterday after a drive from Sydney to Bathurst, that after I had it sitting for a few hours and started her up again, that the oil level had dropped to the second lowest point on the digital read-out. It had been parked on a slight incline, so I drove home as normal and parked. This morning, I checked the digital read-out again this morning (without starting the engine) and after being parked over night, the oil level had risen and is now at the second highest point, so not bad, but definitely some oil consumption. It's never done this in the three years that I've owned it, however I barely drive it either. I've driven maybe 3000kms in the whole time I've owned it. Last service and oil change was in January this year. Next service will be January next year.

Can any one chime in here as to whether this is normal or not? Maybe Twoheads Tas can assist?

Done about 153-154K kms.

Thank you in advance.

Edit - extra details and clarification.

Edited by Sabotage
Extra details and clarification

Had a similar thing happen once to our former car. It only did it once but then returned to normal - tech thought it may have been a faulty sender, or even an air lock in the oil cooler.

If parked overnight, check beneath (on a clean floor) for any obvious leaks. Check also for any sign of oil in the water coolant (it will be quite frothy) in case it is a head gasket.

Ended up doing several thousand more Kms after this without any issues.

22 hours ago, 42 South said:

Had a similar thing happen once to our former car. It only did it once but then returned to normal - tech thought it may have been a faulty sender, or even an air lock in the oil cooler.

If parked overnight, check beneath (on a clean floor) for any obvious leaks. Check also for any sign of oil in the water coolant (it will be quite frothy) in case it is a head gasket.

Ended up doing several thousand more Kms after this without any issues.

Thanks for the tips. Checked under the car and floor and not a single drop of oil. Also checked the water coolant and that is still full and clear.

3 hours ago, Jason E said:

My 2003 996.2 did this to me once, not long after having a complete service at a reputable Indie.  Fixed itself the next time I turned it on.  Bloody cars!

Here's hoping there's nothing wrong with mine either. Mine had a $2K odd major service done at Porsche at the beginning of the year! I'll update the thread as I discover more, because I find that somebody researching this might be helped one day in the future.

On a separate topic, I see on your profile pic you have an MX5. Many used MX5's are about the same value as used Boxster's of the same vintage. I'd like to know what you think - are the MX5's overrated/overvalued or are the Boxster's underrated/undervalued?

25 minutes ago, Sabotage said:

Here's hoping there's nothing wrong with mine either. Mine had a $2K odd major service done at Porsche at the beginning of the year! I'll update the thread as I discover more, because I find that somebody researching this might be helped one day in the future.

On a separate topic, I see on your profile pic you have an MX5. Many used MX5's are about the same value as used Boxster's of the same vintage. I'd like to know what you think - are the MX5's overrated/overvalued or are the Boxster's underrated/undervalued?

I can't comment on newer MX5s, but we moved from an NB MX-5 to your car, chalk and cheese in that case, but not so sure about later NC / NDs?????

BTW I was chatting to one of the guys from Duttons yesterday and he worked for Porsche for 17 years.  He reckons the car was an original demonstrator for PCQ, and couldn't recall any other 1st gen 987 in the Seal Grey / Terra Cotta combo.  I can't recall anything in the Service manual whether first owner was Queensland or NSW, so it may or may not be correct.  Perhaps there was more than one in that colour combo, but I've never seen any other reference or comment from anyone else having a car with that combo....

7 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

I can't comment on newer MX5s, but we moved from an NB MX-5 to your car, chalk and cheese in that case, but not so sure about later NC / NDs?????

BTW I was chatting to one of the guys from Duttons yesterday and he worked for Porsche for 17 years.  He reckons the car was an original demonstrator for PCQ, and couldn't recall any other 1st gen 987 in the Seal Grey / Terra Cotta combo.  I can't recall anything in the Service manual whether first owner was Queensland or NSW, so it may or may not be correct.  Perhaps there was more than one in that colour combo, but I've never seen any other reference or comment from anyone else having a car with that combo....

I've got a soft spot for NB MX5's and that's the MX5 I thought I would've ended up in, but I got the Boxster instead. Yes - the Seal Grey/Terracotta is a terrific colour combo and I love it. I would've preferred a Speed Yellow car, but honestly the Terracotta interior for me just elevates it and I've never seen another 987 Boxster with it either. Full leather makes it nice too - bloody rare on a 987 Boxster. It just evokes a real classic look with a bit of theatre and passion, damn it! Lol! Vast majority of 987's for sale with their depressing grey or black all plastic fantastic interiors - so dull, so lifeless IMO.

Checked the manual - it was delivered and registered in Sydney (Parramatta) and all services up until it started getting serviced in Tasmania are in Sydney.

9 minutes ago, Sabotage said:

I've got a soft spot for NB MX5's and that's the MX5 I thought I would've ended up in, but I got the Boxster instead. Yes - the Seal Grey/Terracotta is a terrific colour combo and I love it. I would've preferred a Speed Yellow car, but honestly the Terracotta interior for me just elevates it and I've never seen another 987 Boxster with it either. Full leather makes it nice too - bloody rare on a 987 Boxster. It just evokes a real classic look with a bit of theatre and passion, damn it! Lol! Vast majority of 987's for sale with their depressing grey or black all plastic fantastic interiors - so dull, so lifeless IMO.

Checked the manual - it was delivered and registered in Sydney (Parramatta) and all services up until it started getting serviced in Tasmania are in Sydney.

OK, must have been 2 that colour, or the ex Porsche guy was getting his states mixed up 🙂 

My 987 Cayman S also used a lot of oil. Keep an eye on it as the digital readout is notoriously unreliable, but it is something that happens with these engines. My car would use around 1 litre per 1000km, maybe a bit more than that. It would also blow a large cloud of smoke blue smoke on cold start up. 

Porsche actually says that 1 litre per 1000km is acceptable, but we al know that is excessive. I don't want to unnecessarily worry you, but I believe my car had the notorious bore scoring, which from my anecdotal experience seems to be mostly with 987.1S and 997.1S engines.  

17 minutes ago, MFX said:

My 987 Cayman S also used a lot of oil. Keep an eye on it as the digital readout is notoriously unreliable, but it is something that happens with these engines. My car would use around 1 litre per 1000km, maybe a bit more than that. It would also blow a large cloud of smoke blue smoke on cold start up. 

Porsche actually says that 1 litre per 1000km is acceptable, but we al know that is excessive. I don't want to unnecessarily worry you, but I believe my car had the notorious bore scoring, which from my anecdotal experience seems to be mostly with 987.1S and 997.1S engines.  

My car has never blown any smoke ever - not at start-up and not when driving. My understanding is that the 2005/2006 Boxster S 3.2's are much more unlikely to get bore scoring, like the base model 2.5's and 2.7's. My research says that it's the 3.4's and the 3.6's that get the bore scoring.

On 14/11/2023 at 18:51, Sabotage said:

Hi Sabotage,

Interesting question re MX5/ Boxster comparison.  I've never owned a Boxster but have owned a 2003 996.2.  The interior comparison would be similar I expect.  I've owned 2 MX5s, both NC models, the first a 2007 Series 1 & the 2nd a 2013 Series 3. 

It's quite interesting as I am always looking at 986/7 Boxsters thinking I would buy a good one for the right money.  Having said that, they are far, far more expensive to maintain than an MX5.  I paid 18k for a one owner, 2013, Series 3 with 100,000ks & in very good condition.  The yearly maintenance is measured in the hundreds.  They are very reliable & low maintenance.  Cheap on fuel/ rego/ insurance.  They are an excellent commuter.

Not a great deal of theatre unless you do a bit of tricking up.  The interior is very cheap & plasticy.  They drive brilliantly & of course spending a few dollars will make them amazing.     

I think, pound for pound, you can't beat a MX5 for value for money in all round terms.  If money isn't an option a Boxster is a cheap entry into a great brand that will only cost you 4 times the price in yearly maintenance (if you're not spinning the spanners yourself).

I'd love a Boxster, it would shit me paying a Porsche Indie mechanic rates to keep it on the road though.  

I get a little bit of white smoke at start in my Cayman S, the exhaust looks like it has some oil going through it, not wet or anything, just carbon looking, but it could have been running a little rich for a while too.  Currently uses around 500ml-1l per 1000km.  the gauge is very sensitive to the levelness of the ground and I only get a reliable reading on my shed floor.  Sometimes after a service it doesn't touch oil for a 3-4000km then starts drinking it again.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on my oil situation. I have been driving around a bit more and took it for another decent drive up the coast yesterday. When the engine/oil is warm, the digital reader says it's full. When cold, it still sits on the second highest mark. So doesn't seem to burning any more oil. Looking more and more likely that that the digital guage is simply unreliable. Going for a service in a couple of months so we'll see what Porsche says. What was wrong with the good old fashioned dipstick?

1 hour ago, Sabotage said:

Just an update on my oil situation. I have been driving around a bit more and took it for another decent drive up the coast yesterday. When the engine/oil is warm, the digital reader says it's full. When cold, it still sits on the second highest mark. So doesn't seem to burning any more oil. Looking more and more likely that that the digital guage is simply unreliable. Going for a service in a couple of months so we'll see what Porsche says. What was wrong with the good old fashioned dipstick?

over the years I've been through it a few times with 987.1,  986 S and 996.1. It rarely repeated on each car. Level parking is critical for digital gauge accuracy. By memory I think each "bar" on the digi guage is around 150ml?  And the engines do have a good old fashioned dipstick which I usually checked as well

19 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

over the years I've been through it a few times with 987.1,  986 S and 996.1. It rarely repeated on each car. Level parking is critical for digital gauge accuracy. By memory I think each "bar" on the digi guage is around 150ml?  And the engines do have a good old fashioned dipstick which I usually checked as well

It's a bit of a shame the 987 doesn't have the dipstick. It still has the spot in the boot with the coolant and oil, but no dipstick like the 986. Would much prefer they kept the dipstick. How did we get to the point where cars each year look better on paper but are worse in real life? Lol!