Boxster 987.2 LED DRLs?

CoSo

Hi all, 

Does anyone know if any Aussie 987.2 Boxsters came with the DRLs instead of the lower single fog lights? I have had a look on Carsales but it seems all of them that I've seen so far do not have the quad DRLs but  instead just has the lower fog lights. Did they come on Aus delivered cars?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi CoSo, Happy new year! If you mean the current "signature" look of the Porsche cars with the four dot LED DRL's, this only became a thing quite recently. The 987.2 doesn't have the four dot look, but has DRL's on the front bumper in the same position the 987.1 has the driver's/fog lights. Incidentally, a company has recreated the current four dot LED DRL headlights for 997's but alas not the 987's. Link is below. I'm not really big on modifications, but I personally think they look mint. If they extend the range to 987, I might be interested in buying. Check it out;

https://www.morimotohid.com/Porsche-911-997-05-13-XB-LED-Headlights?quantity=1

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks Sabotage. I was in fact referring to the fog light housing, where EU/USDM 987.2 Boxsters got DRLs along the bottom light bar where our fogs are.

Here's an example picture:

Screenshot_20240130_200444_Chrome.jpg

Ah yes - sorry I went a little off topic there. Yes - correct - the 987.2 in Australia does have the lower DRL's instead of the drivers/fog lights on the 987.1.

On the topic of lights, I do hope some genius comes up with an easy way to update headlights though. Halogen has very poor performance when compared to newer headlights. I'm hoping Porsche themselves might come up with a retrofit similar to the head units they do for older models.

On 01/02/2024 at 11:47, Sabotage said:

Ah yes - sorry I went a little off topic there. Yes - correct - the 987.2 in Australia does have the lower DRL's instead of the drivers/fog lights on the 987.1.

Really, do you know the part numbers? I can't find any Aussie ones with the DRLs, every example on Carsales has the single fogs on the lower bumper instead.

Regarding headlights, I don't think there's really any legal options... but if you're happy for non ADR approved lights, adjustable LED bulbs might be the best option. 

CoSo - try the below. They are for the 997 but not entirely sure if they fit the 987. Maybe just need to change the first three digits to 987? Might be best to double check with Porsche or Autohaus or someone to double check. Also, if you do, maybe ask if they can be retrofitted to 987.1's?

Let us know how you go;

LED LEFT Side fog light: PN 997 631 077 03

LED RIGHT Side fog light: PN 997 631 078 03

Just above to my last post. You got me curious and I've been looking and now I'm not so sure that DRL's were standard on 987.2. There seems to be a lot of confusion and a mix between they were standard or were optional extras. Some say that DRL's were fitted as standard and you have to manually turn them on the onboard computer, while others say they DRL's were optional.

Maybe somebody knowledgeable can pipe up here, but given that only myself and CoSo are posting means I don't like our chances.

CoSo - if you do happen to find out the answer, please let us know so that somebody in the future might stumble across this thread and get an answer.

No a Boxster but on my 2012 Cayman R the Lower lights were FOG lights. You could turn the headlight low beam on as DRL function in the options. I got caught out a number of times at night thinking I had the head lights on when it was only the DRL using the low beams and so no tail lights. 

11 minutes ago, Sabotage said:

Are those tiny slit lights on the front bumper, factory?

They are, the Spyders did get the LED DRLs but they're tiny slits as you can see. The base and S have the standard fogs like on mine below, but I've not seen any with the LEDs like in my example picture earlier.

20230807_155639.thumb.jpg.0fb918e314a16c50326ed8017d122211.jpg

On 06/02/2024 at 19:42, Sabotage said:

CoSo - if you do happen to find out the answer, please let us know so that somebody in the future might stumble across this thread and get an answer.

Will do mate. I wondered if it was just what was in the examples on Carsales but I suspect we may just have not gotten them in Aus. I'll ask the dealer next time the car is in for a service in June. I did also have a look on ebay and I think it'll run about $1.5k to $2k to get them changed out and I don't know if it's plug and play because of voltage...

The plot thickens. Hopefully your dealer is across the older generations. I find that my local dealer, while generally pretty good, doesn't understand the older models as much. They once thought there was a problem with the engine because it was taking a while to heat up and needed extra investigation. They discovered that apparently the "older" models take a little longer to heat up than current models. Hahaha!

I have a Cayman 987.2 with halogen headlights so not all the information may be relevant to your case.  My car has round foglights and a slim LED strip that lights up when  the headlights are switched on.  The DRLs were the halogen headlights, and these are activated through the onboard computer.

Caymans with factory HID/xenon headlights had DRLs in place of the foglights.  They were the same shape but around the periphery had a few small LEDs rather than a central halogen bulb.  

I replaced the halogen bulbs in the foglights with JW Speaker LED bulbs.  Using a Durametric Pro, I coded the car as having HID headlights.  My foglights then became DRLs.

A decade ago, I replaced the halogen bulbs in the headlights with genuine Philips H7 HID bulbs.  They are properly aimed, have a sharp cutoff and are not above the 1800 lumen threshold that in a factory fitted car would require self-levelling and headlight washers.  Haters, I am not interested in your comments as have been directed at me in the past on this forum.  If I was doing the same now, I would use a good quality Philips LED H7 bulb, although electronic CANBUS cancelling units may be required as the lower current draw may trigger the blown bulb warning on the dashboard.  Oncoming traffic has never flashed its headlights at me.  

• 1 month later...
On 01/02/2024 at 11:47, Sabotage said:

On the topic of lights, I do hope some genius comes up with an easy way to update headlights though. Halogen has very poor performance when compared to newer headlights. I'm hoping Porsche themselves might come up with a retrofit similar to the head units they do for older models.

I’ve got a 986 and wanted to update the globes, then saw these. Wondering if anyone has experience with them? HID kit for $127 seems pretty cheap. https://www.ledperf.com.au/porsche-boxster-986-xenon-hid-conversion-kit-obc-error-free-p-14306.html?