Targa top cover replacement

A mate of mine is looking for a trimmer to replace the targa panel cover. Preferably in Sydney but other places ok too.

Any recommendations? Most trimmers he contacted are either too busy or don't want to do the job.

It's a 1979 SC

On 04/03/2024 at 17:34, cafe_racer said:

I went through the expense on this. The top still wasn’t great. I really think the value is having this guy do it on your car. 

echo this, had mine done locally when I had my targa, it sucked (and i should've used that guy). 

Did he try east coast trim shop in Sydney? Just like any trade a hefty wait period is expected when someone has a strong reputation. It’s a smaller job and if you’re bread and butter is big jobs with long term clients it will be hard to get a look in- patience will be needed. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/03/2024 at 15:34, cafe_racer said:

I went through the expense on this. The top still wasn’t great. I really think the value is having this guy do it on your car. 

I concur.  I sent my top to Dan as well, got the top sent over to him with the new rubber part he sent. For the expense, I did not think it was worth it and did not think it was any different. (I sold my targa in the end.)

I’ve heard Prostitch in Sydney are good, have seen a couple done by them. I had mine done by Dan in the US, took the roof to him on a trip there, also got his front edge seals. Contrary to the others mine has been fine, however it was 5-6 years ago. Dan must’ve been well into his 70’s then so maybe things have got worse with time. He does sell a complete kit that any decent trimmer could use.