Did Aust Delivered 993 Miss Out on The Gremlins?

Peter M

I've been reading up on what to look for when buying a 993 and it appears that the unique issues for this model relate to:

• Failure of the engine wiring harness insulation resulting in shorts and then other serious damage, 
  • Clogging of the air injection ports in the exhaust ports of post 1995 models resulting in a "Check Engine" fault. 

Can anyone confirm if the Australian delivered models were susceptible to these issues like the USA version please? 

With the air injection issue, did the Australian models actually come equipped with an air injection system?

Thanks in advance!

Peter  

Firstly, welcome aboard Peter. Can't believe how many members from Newcastle are here!

I'm fairly certain the wiring harness issue was a global recall.

My 993 is a 95 and has the harness update.

As far as the dreaded CEL fault, I believe this is isolated to US cars and the local cars do not suffer from this and do not have the SAI.

Thanks Theo!

Yes, I've been pleasantly surprised at the number of Newcastle members too.  I need to make contact with Ben, Peter, Uncle and co because I have about 20 questions regarding 911 ownership that I need answered and I don't mind buying the coffee/beer! 

Thanks again

Peter

Carefull what you wish for Peter.

Those boys will have you painting your car with plastic paint, installing turbos, developing OCD and drinking Scotch!!!!

Firstly, welcome aboard Peter. Can't believe how many members from Newcastle are here!

I'm fairly certain the wiring harness issue was a global recall.

My 993 is a 95 and has the harness update.

As far as the dreaded CEL fault, I believe this is isolated to US cars and the local cars do not suffer from this and do not have the SAI.

Hey Theo was the harness update something you did or bought it already updated? would you know what this would set you back if not done?

Carefull what you wish for Peter.

Those boys will have you painting your car with plastic paint, installing turbos, developing OCD and drinking Scotch!!!!

Hey Hey, You make that sound like a bad thing!

Welcome Peter. I'm thinking about a Newcastle cars & Coffee meet soon so I'll keep so keep your eye on the meets section mate.

Hey Hey, You make that sound like a bad thing!

Welcome Peter. I'm thinking about a Newcastle cars & Coffee meet soon so I'll keep so keep your eye on the meets section mate.

Uncle. I'm sure my wife regularly gives thanks we live in Melbourne as I'm not exposed to the shenanigans. of the Newcastle crowd.

Tony. Official Porsche recall I believe.

Theo,

So do you think if you were to give the VIN number to the local importer would they be able to advise if that particular car had been done as part of the recall and any other recall for that matter?

Thanks

Peter

PS:  Thanks for those other warnings too.  I'll be on my guard! :D   

Welcome to the forum Peter, only learning myself but keen for a Newy meet and great.

Thank you both!

I'll keep my eye out.  My questions won't be too difficult or tedious to answer.  More for reassurance than anything!

I'm thinking about a Newcastle cars & Coffee meet soon so I'll keep so keep your eye on the meets section mate.

I was going to post one up yesterday calling for interest for a meet and greet over the long weekend but thought most will have plans too shorter notice. Maybe the following weekend would be better.

Peter,

Have you driven a Porsche yet?

I hadn't when I first joined and started looking, no regrets here.

correct,engine wiring harnesses were replaced as part of a recall,i did heaps of them

these were done way past warranty,from memory new harness had a part no.ending in ......07(yellow sticker on harness has no.)

Yeah fellas getting keen for a drive/ meet up/ coffee/ beer etc, hopefully get all/most of the Newcastle guys to turn up it would be great to meet everyone around the Newy area.

Good luck with the Porsche search Peter

Theo,

So do you think if you were to give the VIN number to the local importer would they be able to advise if that particular car had been done as part of the recall and any other recall for that matter?

Thanks

Peter

PS:  Thanks for those other warnings too.  I'll be on my guard! :D

Porsche Australia should have a record of all recalls done on that VIN.

Early cars with the harness upgrade have an extra unused connector hanging near the blower fan.

When I first got my car I thought it had become unplugged, but its for the later models with Varioram.

correct,engine wiring harnesses were replaced as part of a recall,i did heaps of them

these were done way past warranty,from memory new harness had a part no.ending in ......07(yellow sticker on harness has no.)

Porsche Australia should have a record of all recalls done on that VIN.

Early cars with the harness upgrade have an extra unused connector hanging near the blower fan.

When I first got my car I thought it had become unplugged, but its for the later models with Varioram.

Excellent!  Gentlemen, that was exactly the type of information I was after.

Thank you

Peter

• 2 months later...

I just rang Porsche in Willoughby (Sydney) to check a VIN for the harness recall - they were totally happy to look it up and confirmed it was done very quickly. Great service and support, as you'd expect. Also according to them there were no other recalls in Australia for the 993.

Gavin.

Archived