77, 930 - Whats it worth?

vivid911

Good morning,

Like many others, my Porsche hunt is into its second year. Which I don't mind because there is soo much to learn!

There is a local 77 Porsche 930 for sale which is only 10 minutes from my house. I have been for a drive in it and had a quick look over it, albeit in the dark.

The paint is of average condition (peeling in a couple of places) Interior is in average condition (torn dirvers side bolster) Dash Ok.

What I have been told thus far;

It was originally imported from Washington state in 94 by a perth businessman. At this time the engine was rebuilt (to what extent I am still finding out) It was converted to RHD and set up for the track and rebuilt at the time I've been told, by K-Tec in WA. It had 5 logged races in 1995 with 1 record still standing. Was then placed in storage. The current owner I bought it 4 years ago, out of storage service performed by K-Tec.

It has bilstien suspension. It does leak oil which I was concerned about until I spoke to Porsche mechanics who said this is common. I haven't used it on the track, just enjoy driving it. Have had brakes, exhaust, tyres, over boost sender replaced and summer/winter services each year. No rust.

It has a bolt in Half-cage.

Just wondering if you guys with a bit more experience think it would be something worth pursuing further? I am aware of a few of the pro/cons about owning a pre 79 turbo, but if you would like to add anything I encourage all comments. Also some oil leaks can be a concern, so I would have to see where they stem from.

I am not that fussed that its not an original ozzie car however I'd like to find out the quality of the conversion. What are some things to look for?

I'd consider myself a novice in the mechanical world, however in the future I'd like to get more hands on with a car like this. Bad idea? 

There are a few pictures attached.

Let me know your thoughts.

Regards,

Scott

post-1370-0-15562800-1370750861_thumb.jp

Original advert

Appreciating classic, CAMS licence and logs, known history. Reluctant sale. Last of the 3 litres, approved half cage, harness points ect. Road licenced. NO TXT. More photo's on request. Not immaculate but a daily driver with huge beifits.

Another thing to note, Odometer reading is incorrect. When current owner bought it 4 years ago it was on 102k's. Possibly disconnected on the conversion, I have no idea.

Regs,

Scott

Hey Scott.

How much does he want for it ?

How much is it worth to you ?

Is a rough track car what you want ?

If so it may be a good car for you.

I am not a fan of the 3L 930, if it was me I would get a nice 78 on 3.3.

Do you have a link to the ad ?

Nice special car, one of the original Turbo Carrera's.

How much is it worth?

OK, recently 1975 and 1976 3.0 Carrera's have been on the market for 120-150K. Both were, low K Aust delivered minters that have not been messed with in any shape or form.

It also worth considering that if its registered in Perth it may not be able to be registered in other states or territories.

I would estimate the value of this car, subject to a closer inspection and any corrosion, poor conversion, poor accident repair, broken head studs, broken gearbox etc etc...

To be a Low of 40k and a High of 60k(ie the more expensive issues it has the lower the purchase price)

For prices around the top end of this range you can find a later 3.3 that is an all round better car, however is not as rare.

I am assuming that the common oil leaks are just normal oil weeping, which is acceptable on air cooled engines. It does however indicate that it will need to be put right at some stage. The more leaks, the closer a rebuild is.

If you are very keen on this car, contact Richard at RJP Motorsport (Welshpool) on 08 9472 4600 and he will beable to do a comprehensive PPI and give straight, honest advice about this car and what faults and issues it has.

Its an exclusive vehicle, however it has changed dramatically from when it left the factory so this does affect its current value dramatically.

If it was still  LHD it would be worth significantly more.

2 Cents, ker-plunk.

Thanks for the replies: Here is the original Ad.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fremantle/cars-vans-utes/1977-porsche-930-coupe/1019141212

A track-able street car is really what I am after. It wont be a daily driver, I would say a couple of times a week driver.

Currently it is advertised for $52k, I'd be leaning towards the mid/low 40's as a possible offer pending a thorough PPI and the outcomes from that.   

I believe you could pickup a decent 79' onwards 930 for around to $70k mark. It may take $30k to get some of the things right on this one. ($10k panel/paint through a friend, motor/gearbox etc.)

I would definitely call it a roughy. The centre caps on the Fuchs are missing, the headlight squirt things are missing etc etc.

I will have a chat with Richard from RJP and see how much he charges for a PPI and take it from there.

Thanks again for the responses, much appreciated.

Scott

Imho if you are not mechanically inclined it will send you broke. Better to pay $70k for one you don't have to spend big repair dollars on.

I would place it in the $30k to $40k range personally but it always depends on who is around with the cash as to what it will sell for.

Have you spoken with Richard?

Hi, Yes I have spoken to him. He actually done the work on this car when it had an original rebuild in 1995, small world! Thankyou for pointing me in the right direction.

I have been trying to get ahold of the owner, he works FIFO so sometimes its hard. Still, this car is a serious consideration (at the right price).

Scott

Send this guy a msg http://forums.pelicanparts.com/members/47009.html

He had a 3.3 for sale that was all set up ready to go in Perth.

Worth a try :)

Hi Vas930,

I have met Bill a few times and looked at his 86 930 a year or so ago. I just couldn't do the RHD thing. I think he ended up selling it for $38k. (minus the close ratio gear set) Bill knows a hell of a lot from what I gathered and nice bloke.

Cheers,

Scott

Hi Guys,

I went for another look at the car this afternoon. The paint is pretty much scrap and some of the panels are looking rough too.
I stuck my head underneath the engine bay and I would describe the situation as damp rather than just a few weeps here and there.

Soo, I would say more than likely an engine rebuild is on the table, then obviously at some stage panel and paint. All the original window/door/boot seals are shot to pieces so windows out for the repaint with new seals in.

What sort of ball park are we in for a complete engine re-seal? Also, are window seals etc. easily available for this 77 930'?

Hmmmm, He is asking $52k. If you had this car and the PPI comes back and its a definite rebuild and you know the paint is gone, what do you think a reasonable offer is? I was thinking $34-37k. in which case I'll probably get laughed at, but realistically that's the range I would put this car in knowing its had a LHD -RHD drive conversion etc..

Some more pics (there are plenty of paint spots like this)

Scott

post-1370-0-30638100-1371033102_thumb.jp

Scott, 930s are not my game however from your description it seems like a paint and at least an engine reseal are in order.

Vas in particular keeps pressing the cost of a good respray with new rubbers/seals can take you to $40K..........and he should know!!!

A reseal may not be that simple depending on what you do "while you're in there".

I hear it on this forum and others constantly and is the best advice anyone can have........Buy the best Porsche you can afford.

Don't buy someone else's problems.

Hi Guys,

I went for another look at the car this afternoon. The paint is pretty much scrap and some of the panels are looking rough too.

I stuck my head underneath the engine bay and I would describe the situation as damp rather than just a few weeps here and there.

Soo, I would say more than likely an engine rebuild is on the table, then obviously at some stage panel and paint. All the original window/door/boot seals are shot to pieces so windows out for the repaint with new seals in.

What sort of ball park are we in for a complete engine re-seal? Also, are window seals etc. easily available for this 77 930'?

Hmmmm, He is asking $52k. If you had this car and the PPI comes back and its a definite rebuild and you know the paint is gone, what do you think a reasonable offer is? I was thinking $34-37k. in which case I'll probably get laughed at, but realistically that's the range I would put this car in knowing its had a LHD -RHD drive conversion etc..

Some more pics (there are plenty of paint spots like this)

Scott

I think Australian values are off this planet.  This might be a nice car but needs a lot of cash spent.  You could probably find a nice Turbo in the states and import it for about 40k.  And it wouldn't be a converted LHD, it would be original.

Scott, 930s are not my game however from your description it seems like a paint and at least an engine reseal are in order.

Vas in particular keeps pressing the cost of a good respray with new rubbers/seals can take you to $40K..........and he should know!!!

A reseal may not be that simple depending on what you do "while you're in there".

I hear it on this forum and others constantly and is the best advice anyone can have........Buy the best Porsche you can afford.

Don't buy someone else's problems.

+1 Theo.

No one seems to listen.

Scott if you have a budget of 40-50k buy a nice SC or 3.2 all set up and ready to go.

You will get some money for it when you sell it and they are an awesome track and weekend car.

If you have 75-80k you will find a good 930 with the same good points.

Jump on the PCV or PCNSW site and have a look at the lap times a well set up SC can do.

I understand the desire for a turbo, but at that price the dream will turn into a nightmare.

Nothing wrong with a well coverted 930, but even a good converted one will cost you 70k.

Even if you buy one for 50k you will fast spend the other 30k.

Good luck. :)

Interesting proposal.

52k is not realistic at all.

Given the state of the body, you have 20k minimum to spend there, if you remove everything for them and put it all back together afterwards. + replace anything that has broken in the process, which it will.

How much is a decent re seal? 20k upwards, dependant on what is fecked inside.

Based on this, 30k is probably all its worth as is.

So, keep looking and walk away! Or spend lots of cash and have lots of fun doing so......but you won't be seeing some of that cash later!

Thanks guys,

I'd be OK with spending $60-70K on a car, a trouble free one!! I have taken on-board what the over-whelming advice seems to be saying, summed up as.... "So, keep looking and walk away!"

I'll keep an eye on this car as the owner is moving to the states at the end of the year, hence the reason for selling. Maybe he might accept something stupidly low. Time will tell.

The search now continues!! There was a nice one in SA (see pic) about 9-10 months ago. It was advertised for $55k, probably needed a bit of work too. 

So, if anyone knows of a black/silver/white 930 in my price range let me know.

Thanks guys,

Scott

Archived