Anyone looking for a project? 1975 2.7lt 911 Coupe

I don't want that one... it is cheap though - the import alone would have soaked up a good $5k

but this one made me despair at prices here:

http://cms.porsche-clubs.com/PorscheClubs/pc_nsw/pc_main.nsf/web/D5B3749123A2913CC1257B7900034C3A#pagetop

$40k with broken head stud & unidentified suspension noises & 270,000 kms?

:wacko:

Someone please tell me I'm not being unreasonable here, but that is overpriced.

270,000 kms?

:wacko:

Someone please tell me I'm not being unreasonable here, but that is overpriced.

I'm not sure what year it is, but lets say 1985, thats less than 10,000kms a year. So the K's are'nt excessive IMO.

Without seeing more photos hard to comment on the price, but if interior/paint etc is good, and the suspension issue is worn bushes/sway bars or something like that (easy/cheap) I would have thought $30-->$40k is about right.  

re: the 3.2 - I would think $40k is about right (even in fact cheap), If it's one of the top head studs I know of an SC that had done quite a few km's with a broken one.

and what CarreraG50 said re suspension - I'd imagine it's just bushes which would be an easy weekend fix.

I guess in the space of a week after work I could have the engine pulled, head studs replaced (I'd do the whole lot rather than just one, 'cause they'll all have different ages/wear levels/stretch) and then a basic freshen up for $5k

nice car If you're prepared to do the work yourself

yeah I shudder to think what a box of 'happy and delightful fun' a 2.7 engine that's been neglected in a cheap car looks like.

I'm trying very hard not to lowball and wait.

The Black one 10k is enough to prick your ears up. Rust inspection would be a must though. Even when in good condition this car is only worth 30-35k tops.

The Carrera @ 40k? Again a good starting price but a top end rebuild cost or at least  'half of rebuild cost' (ie at least 5k)  would need to be knocked off the price.

The C 3.2 is probably a 35k car subject to overall condition.

All I can add is that for lower end 911s it's a buyer's market - and has been for some time.

The new owners need to get in at the right low price and even then , be prepared to dig deeper than it appears. Both cars smack of deferred maintenance or lack of love. Mind you @270, 000km at least that one's been driven. It also means lots of bits might be due for replacement.

USA parts prices are starting to bite,  with our slipping $...

Someone here should buy one or the other and document the soap opera of resto  :) You only need one kidney after all.

Make that 100% sure...

Hmm, I wouldn't say 40k is cheap but it may well be a minter excepting the broken head studs.

All I can add is that for lower end 911s it's a buyer's market - and has been for some time.

The new owners need to get in at the right low price and even then , be prepared to dig deeper than it appears. Both cars smack of deferred maintenance or lack of love. Mind you @270, 000km at least that one's been driven. It also means lots of bits might be due for replacement.

USA parts prices are starting to bite,  with our slipping $...

Someone here should buy one or the other and document the soap opera of resto  :) You only need one kidney after all.

I reckon , even with the slipping dollar, USA parts prices are still far better than any local suppler I have dealt with. Except in one instance I could save at least $150 on Driveshafts from a local supplier(Hardy Spicer) as opposed to getting them from the states.

Switching to Euro suppliers can quell the pain but shipping prices are typically more expensive (and so are the parts).

I would be keen to do a Carrera 3.2 next, after I finish the 912 off and sell it(if I sell it!!)

This white one looks like it would be a good starting point, if the price was right.

Even with ridiculous postage , I always find US prices are cheaper  But the yanks find healthcare cost is the sting in the tail of an economy offering relatively cheap consumer goods. Sometimes I am tempted to fill a container with Porsche parts to see me through until the day I can no longer drive. And a few bits leftover for my sons!

Even with ridiculous postage , I always find US prices are cheaper  But the yanks find healthcare cost is the sting in the tail of an economy offering relatively cheap consumer goods. Sometimes I am tempted to fill a container with Porsche parts to see me through until the day I can no longer drive. And a few bits leftover for my sons!

If you have a decent job there healthcare is no big deal.  It's a crappy system but the amount we overpay for houses dwarfs what they overpay for health insurance.  Germany seems to have it right - reasonably priced houses and reasonably priced healthcare.  And the best car manufacturers on the planet.

Germany seems to have it right - reasonably priced houses and reasonably priced healthcare.  And the best car manufacturers on the planet.

Yeah...but their coffee sucks!!!

If you have a decent job there healthcare is no big deal.  It's a crappy system but the amount we overpay for houses dwarfs what they overpay for health insurance.  Germany seems to have it right - reasonably priced houses and reasonably priced healthcare.  And the best car manufacturers on the planet.

"are lucky enough to be part of the upper middle class"

"overpay for Porsches"

Do people in Germany actually buy , or rather lease/rent houses? Some of my German friends told me (a few years back) it was a big deal to see a house for sale in a neighbourhood, as it meant someone in the neighbourhood had died or gone bankrupt!

Figures here do not surprise me http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_home_ownership_rate Where is Germany? Oh , there they are - almost didn't see them!

Germans don't waste money on bank fees , it seems they spend it on holidays , clothes , jewellery and cars! Quality ones. Except for the Golf, Frank!

I would have to say that the Germans do have it right.

If you can long term lease/rent a place, whats the difference?

Do the numbers on interest cost per week on an average home loan and mostly it always exceeds the rent cost.

Rent money is dead money?

Only if you have > 50% deposit.

Rent a house and buy Porsches, things that make you smile, not weep.

Wow, seriously off topic here.... many European countries have long term leases which can be more like commercial leases than residental leases in Australia.  A long lease in Australia is 12 months - and you still can't put a picture frame up.  Hence it is better to buy for security of tenure if you plan on staying somewhere for a while.  I knew someone in Amsterdam who had rented a property for 15 years and had completely renovated the inside - including new kitchen etc.  If you could do that in Australia, then the attraction of owning would be less.  But if you can just get your kids settled into a school, get to know your neighbours and then the owner decides to turf you out, it's a major imposition.

Germans buy houses - what they do not do is speculate in them.   When nearly every other housing market in the world was going silly in the mid 2000's, the German market stayed flat.  I forget the reason but as a result no big run up in asset prices, no big hangover and/or crash.  Very sensible.  

But then it's been calculated the taxation component of a new house in Sydney is something like 48% - we only have ourselves to blame for taxing the crap out of housing, which is ironic because any attempt to tax food as a basic necessity is met with outrage!

*anyway*

Key phrase here

"Germans buy houses - what they do not do is speculate in them."

We have had it good down here, everyone has just ridden the equity fairy and now the fairy is dead, its not so good anymore.

Maybe my priorities are screwed up!

I am wondering if Germans rely more upon investment in industry/Technology/Production/Exports and gain more growth from this than Housing development?

*I am not wondering actually. :rolleyes:

Anyway, back to Porsches :) So much more fun!!!

Key phrase here

"Germans buy houses - what they do not do is speculate in them."

We have had it good down here, everyone has just ridden the equity fairy and now the fairy is dead, its not so good anymore.

Maybe my priorities are screwed up!

I am wondering if Germans rely more upon investment in industry/Technology/Production/Exports and gain more growth from this than Housing development?

*I am not wondering actually. :rolleyes:

Anyway, back to Porsches :) So much more fun!!!

Google 'Mittelstand' and all will be revealed!   Turns out sinking capital into houses isn't as good as putting it into productive capacity.  And turning out engineers and skilled apprentices works out better than gender studies and leisure management.

Watch an online video of German 'factory' housing and you be amazed that Australians still build their houses by putting sticks together on site in the weather.   While in Germany your house is ordered and produced on an assembly line with lower waste, fewer mistakes and just as much flexibility, then shipped to the site for final assembly.

It is tangenitally related to Porsche.  The reason why Porsche + BMW + MB can produce high quality products is the supply chain, same as Toyota in Japan.  Lots of small companies focused on building a couple of components makes for a flexible and focused industry.

Archived