Hi Guys,

Still on the hunt. This one came on the internet this afternoon

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/victoria-park/cars-vans-utes/porsche-1979-930-coupe/1023161639

Originally an imported car. Owner believes not from US, he is going to let me know the VIN. As the advert states, current owner has had it for 9 years. Bought it from an Asian Doc.

Current owner used to work at a Porsche place here in Perth (Chellingworth) in the spare parts department.

Windows out paint a couple of years ago and he hasn't had it registered since. Sits in garage and is moved every once in a while. He has most of the parts (door trims, rear 1/4 panels etc.) Lost the passion and young kids are preventing him to finish.

What do you think? Is it worth a look?

Thanks,

Scott

911 SC Coupé US 911 920 0001 911 920 2013

911 SC Targa US 911 921 0001 911 921 1965

911 SC Coupé 911 930 0001 911 930 3318

911 SC Coupé Japan 911 930 9501 911 930 9873

911 SC Targa 911 931 0001 911 931 1874 911

(930) VIN from To

911 Turbo 3.3 Coupé 930 970 0001 930 970 0820

911 Turbo 3.3 Coupé Japan 930 970 9501 930 970 9532

911 Turbo 3.3 Coupé US 930 980 0001 930 980 1200

935 VIN from To

935 Coupé 930 990 0001 930 990 0028

Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for the comments received. I did spend about an hour going over this car with the owner last night.

I have checked with the PCA and the VIN corresponds to a locally sold German car, original LHD.

The current owner didn't mention that his car was converted at some stage, you'd think someone who worked at a Porsche spare parts department would know this?? Especially seeing he has owned 4 or 5 porsches including SC and 911 Cab. (which he rebuild from a shell)

What sort of noticeable things would I look for with the conversion? Just to make sure that PCA haven't got it wrong? As a quick check can you tell by which way the window wipers travel?

The car is 100% drivable. It had been repainted by Mirage here in Perth, which are a reputable company that paint Lambo's, Ferraris Porsches etc. So the paint is in great shape. It has all new window rubbers installed.

The owner has 95%+ of the parts both new and original to finish the car stored in boxes in his garage. Wing mirrors have been cleaned and are ready for paint. All new door, boot and bonnet seals are ready to go on. Has all new badges. New door pockets. Rear 1/4 fenders..bla bla.. you get the picture. 

The engine bay is in quite good order. There is a large hose fitting/connection that is missing on the LHS below intercooler, which has been temporarily taped up. There is a small amount of weeping, but no obviously dripping. 100% better than the last one I looked at.

It does need a new rear reflective Porsche trim below the boot lid. (believe to be readily avl.)

Its needs the wiring for the central locking, power windows and mirrors re-routed through the doors and tidied up. It needs carpets and passenger seat re-fitted.

Bascially what I am saying is there might be a few grand(??) and some time to get these things back to a functional/cosmetically looking great state.

I am leaning towards getting a PPI done on this car to further look into the heritage and quality of the car. Leakdown/compression, headstuds, etc etc.

I guess what is a little worrying is that the owner has been a Porsche enthusiast since he was in his 20's, so 20+ years and can't be buggered finishing off this car because he has completely lost the passion for them?? He even states that it would take him about 4 days to complete and that a mate offered $60k for the car if he was to finish it for him..??

Hmmm, probably need to dig a little deeper.

Regs,

Scott

I'd be looking above the fuel tank at where the steering column runs and see what the welding is like (but I'm sure there's many other places to check)

rear 1/4s and it's just been resprayed?

something sus if he doesn't want to do 2 weekends worth of work to finish it..

If anyone tells you they could do 4 days work for 10K and can't be stuffed they are full of it.

If you are after a "Project" get a PPI on the engine etc then go in with the mind set of cutting those costs off the buy price. I myself wouldn't go with a PPI and would walk away. He is not being totaly honest and that's enough to make me walk.

At best you are going to spend at least another 10K on the car getting it "right".

Well I can totally relate to losing the passion and just wanting a car gone.

I am surprised your still considering it, I think it's expensive for what it is, but if you've gone that far and feel that a PPI will help your decision then why not I guess? Let us know it goes

Hi Vivid911,

How many Porsches or 930's have you checked out? I would recommend you invest some more time before you spend your 50K + on something you may regret.

I vote to sit on it and have a look at a few more, I personally don't think this will be finding a new home anytime soon. Take your time, don't rush and listen to the others on this forum - they know their stuff.

Cheers, Hugh.

Hi Hugh,

I have looked at 3 in Perth and 1 enquiry in Adelaide in the past 2 years, they honestly don't come up very often over here.

1) was an 86 excellent car LHD imported by what I would describe as a serious enthusiast it went for around $38k. The LHD thing doesn't really interest me that much.

2) was a black 930 in Adelaide. Looked ok, but sold within a couple of weeks.

3) Last month, silver 77. Basically what I'd refer to as a POS.

4) Currently a 79 euro spec incomplete car.

I guess I'll just keep my eyes peeled. I am willing to pay up to $75k for a 930 or $55k for a c3 or 3.2 if anything springs to mind give me a hola.

Cheers,

Scott

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Still on the hunt. This one came on the internet this afternoon

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/victoria-park/cars-vans-utes/porsche-1979-930-coupe/1023161639

Originally an imported car. Owner believes not from US, he is going to let me know the VIN. As the advert states, current owner has had it for 9 years. Bought it from an Asian Doc.

Current owner used to work at a Porsche place here in Perth (Chellingworth) in the spare parts department.

Windows out paint a couple of years ago and he hasn't had it registered since. Sits in garage and is moved every once in a while. He has most of the parts (door trims, rear 1/4 panels etc.) Lost the passion and young kids are preventing him to finish.

What do you think? Is it worth a look?

Thanks,

Scott

If Engine and Chassis Numbers match its worth the money even if it had roosters living in the airbox.

Archived