996 Cabriolet

I was driving home from work yesterday and I saw an immaculate 996 Cab, silver, with the roof down he was just cruising...

I thought to myself that it would have looked pretty good in my garage...

A few good ones for sale around the$40 - $45k mark too.. glad I am not in the position to buy right now. Sort out the IMS and I imagine that you have what must be one very capable cruiser / sportscar....

I went through this a while ago (months). The fact that they seem to be listed from $35k upwards is amazing, for what was once well over $200K only 10-15 years ago. I'm not an expert by any means, but I know most people run away from the 996 for various reasons:

- the first watercooled porsche and hence not a "real porsche"

- funny headlights the same as the boxster

- ims problems

- rear seals

But, for $40k you can have a 220kw 911 !!!

Yes, if you get one, spend the extra $2k and get the IMS done. Lots of peace of mind. Get a hard top if you can.

If you can find the updated version with the 3.6litre, thats even better. I believe less problems, and slightly more power. It is the one to have of the 996.

I ended up with a Cayman... but still wish it had a 911 badge!

I agree I think the 996 Cab is awesome. Excellent value for money. I came very close to pulling the trigger on a speed yellow 996 Cab but the dealer refused my offer, only to drop the price to that of my offer just a few weeks later. By then I drove the 2.7 987 and decided to go as new as I could.

There's a lot of Internet hysteria around these cars, plus the odd independent P mechanic that will also put the fear of god in you when asking if they are a good buy.

It's such a shame if your selling one and if you are buying one, a buyers market.

I could totally see me with a 997 Cab one day but then again the 981 would also be in my price range by that time :P

Yeah some good points for sure..

For me, a 930 is the ultimate, as the bank doesn't stretch that far a 3.2 Carrera is the car for me (most likely to end up with).

But, I just looked at the 996 cab and went "I could enjoy owning that, and my wife would actually drive it too"

The wife part is important when the bills come in or you want to change the exhaust, etc. If she has some joy from it too then suddenly a better sounding exhaust is an "investment"...

Food for thought, in the mean time I'll keep enjoying my S2

Yeah some good points for sure..

For me, a 930 is the ultimate, as the bank doesn't stretch that far a 3.2 Carrera is the car for me (most likely to end up with).

But, I just looked at the 996 cab and went "I could enjoy owning that, and my wife would actually drive it too"

The wife part is important when the bills come in or you want to change the exhaust, etc. If she has some joy from it too then suddenly a better sounding exhaust is an "investment"...

Food for thought, in the mean time I'll keep enjoying my S2

There's no doubt that if your partner loves and enjoys the car too, that it makes for better ownership. Mine loathes my Boxster.

My wife uses it as a dd and wont let me behind the wheel very often.

You are a lucky man Barry, Ursula is very bit the petrol head as anyone can be! But I'm sure you know that (when you never get to drive :P)

They are lovely cars.

Sadly I just heard of another coupe that has had a failed IMS at 60k kms recently. Guy only had it for a week and it just 'stopped'.

Peaks and Troughs though, Peaks and Troughs.

They are lovely cars.

Sadly I just heard of another coupe that has had a failed IMS at 60k kms recently. Guy only had it for a week and it just 'stopped'.

Peaks and Troughs though, Peaks and Troughs.

Wasser,

That is the one thing that just makes me cautious about the 996... I think they are a great looking car and would be excellent to drive, just a little worried about the shortfalls...

But, it is those shortfalls that keep them affordable, so absolutely peaks and troughs...

I think that the 3.2 will be my end purchase, but I am developing soft spot for the 996...

Touché :rolleyes:  I have no idea of your personal life ( I thought you mentioned kids once but I don't recall that well)....... 

Hey, you're happy and you have a Porsche so life is good...

Touché :rolleyes:  I have no idea of your personal life ( I thought you mentioned kids once but I don't recall that well)....... 

Hey, you're happy and you have a Porsche so life is good...

:)  no kids for this little black duck.. and you are right re my personal life but I did start this by saying my partner hates my Boxster :D part of the reason for the dislike is due to car sickness..  I think the low ride, extra sound and rawness of the Boxster compared to my old GTI and even the SLK brings that on.  So it's understandable that anyone that gets car sick and finds certain cars encourage sickness won't like those cars.

I did wonder if a 996 would help alleviate the car sickness.. but not enough to buy one!  :P

I am totally stoked I have a Porsche... the fact I'm alone in that isn't bothering me as much as I thought it might.  Lets face it, more fun to go driving alone!

Wasser,

That is the one thing that just makes me cautious about the 996... I think they are a great looking car and would be excellent to drive, just a little worried about the shortfalls...

But, it is those shortfalls that keep them affordable, so absolutely peaks and troughs...

I think that the 3.2 will be my end purchase, but I am developing soft spot for the 996...

Well, I used to think avoid M9X engines at all costs, however now there are many aftermarket IMS upgrade kits available which can give a M9X engine owner piece of mind. These Kits come at a cost,yes, but nowhere near that 25k mark for a new engine...............

Having driven a couple of Boxsters and Carrera's with M96 and M97 engines I can concur that they are wonderful cars that are True Porsches to own and Drive. You just need to factor in the IMS upgrade cost to your purchase price.

I do have a soft spot for anything pre-1997 though, be it water or air-cooled.

A Carrera 3.2 is a fantastic car, so hold out for the best one you can find!

Archived