Removing gear shift knob

There is an after market shift knob currently in my car and im wanting to replace it with something closer to the original knob.

Unfortunately the previous owner glued the knob on and is proving impossible to remove so far. Have tried nail polish remover, hair dryer and brute force to try and twist/pull it free to no avail.

I really have no idea how much glue has been used, so dont know whether its a lost cause trying to remove it.

Looks like a momo shift knob, top half unscrews and the bottom half is steel

Ive contemplated basically hacking it off and the shifter being a bit shorter, but would prefer not to do this. Any possible approach to this to get it off?

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/410255-915-gear-shifter-knob-removal.html

I removed mine with a 15mm open end wrench. Placed the wrench right below the knob and tapped it upward with a hammer, it came right off.
Not sure which years, but some have a set screw on the side and some have a nut under the shift pattern plate.
Mine had neither just a sleeve that goes around the shifter for the knob to slip over. Hence pull/hammer off and push on.

any chance there is a grub screw holding it on somewhere?

not from what i can see. The only thing that resembles a grub screw is the thread used to screw on the top half of the knob

Sounds like a grub screwed it on there in the first place....???

yeah.. there are predrilled holes at the base of the knob that could have been used to secure it, but they had to glue it.. :(

my stock one has spline on the shifter, and the knob slides on, so I think the spanner beating with a hammer sounds like a go, either that or remove the whole lot and do it on the bench

my stock one has spline on the shifter, and the knob slides on, so I think the spanner beating with a hammer sounds like a go, either that or remove the whole lot and do it on the bench

How big a job is it to remove the shifter? 

thinking the short answer is if i have to ask, i shouldnt be doing it! :)

if you don't want to keep the old shift knob get something like a dremel on there and cut it off (obviously without hitting the splines or the shaft itself)

Cut it off and make it a super-short shifter!

Seriously though, its pretty straightforward to take the shifter out aimr. I did it when put my short shift kit in.

You can probably also find somebody on the forum with an old shift lever if you stuff your one.

if you don't want to keep the old shift knob get something like a dremel on there and cut it off (obviously without hitting the splines or the shaft itself)

Im not too fussed about keeping whats on there.. have thought about cutting it

Cut it off and make it a super-short shifter!

Seriously though, its pretty straightforward to take the shifter out aimr. I did it when put my short shift kit in.

You can probably also find somebody on the forum with an old shift lever if you stuff your one.

Would be much easier and safer if i did remove the shifter so will have a look at doing this.. thanks

Archived