996 Engine failure class action

Paulo

I have read that last month in the US, Porsche Cars North America (PCNA) have settled a class action and will be reimbursing thousands of owners of early 996's and Boxters for IMS related engine failures. I own a 996 with 135,000km which in all other respects is in mint condition but now has engine failure. I am interested in hearing from others with similar experience and potentially launching similar action in Australia. See http://www.imsporschesettlement.com

Paulo , terrible news for you ; we have been trying to warn (not scare) owners about the problem in Australia. Several members have recently bitten the bullet of the peace of mind upgrade replacement bearing. But it seems many , probably the majority of those at risk don't know there is a weakness of this engine. Maybe this issue should be stickied in the watercooled subsection of the forum as an alert?

What year is your 996? Has the broken engine been linked to the IMS or one of the other failure modes?

I wish you all the best for the repair , and potential action. At least there is a legal precedent now.

Hi Paulo,

That really is bad news. I really do cringe when I hear about these failures as it is something of an extraordinary event in the Porsche companies history.

I feel for 996 owners in your position as it does leave a really big black cloud over what should be an exciting and enthusiastic pursuit ; Porsche Ownership.

Has your engine been examined? is it completely kaput?

Firstly Paulo, I'm incredibly sorry to hear about your 996. It's just shocking.

I was told that their is a similar class action underway in Australia. BWA told me this when I phoned them about the IMS Solution which I'm about to have installed in my 2005 Boxster.

What year is your 996?

Look for some threads from 'whipit' on this forum. He suffered engine failure in his 996 but the IMS wasn't the cause of it. There's actually many potential failure points in these engines. Flat 6 innovations in the USA rebuild engines and address all of these weak points, offering an engine that is allegedly far stronger than Porsches original offering. In saying that tho, the owner of Flat 6 heavily promotes his business n various fora - hard to know reality fom marketing spin.

Mine is a 1998 model and the problem is most likely not directly related to IMS. I have oil in water and water in oil, so probably a cracked head or block. It stills runs fine but now gets hot. Two independent Porsche shops have both said the same thing - engine US. I have read a huge amount on these engines and I am appalled that Porsche can produce such a lemon. I had a 1987 3.2 Carrera which I wish I never sold. It had 285,000km on the clock and didn't miss a beat. I've been a Porsche fan since I was 10 years old and this experience has soured the love affair. There are so many fundamental design flaws it would be a joke if it wasn't so expensive to fix. Yes the car is nearly 14 years old but with only135,000km and always regularly serviced, never raced etc and in almost as new condition in every other way, it's not what I expected. There is some very thorough articles at http://www.hartech.org/porsche_996_997_Boxster_free_car_buyers_guide.html

A car a paid $50k for 2 years ago and travelled 10,000km is now worthless.

Hey Paulo -  I must say I have no idea what to say to you!  I think we all sympathise with you greatly... it really is shocking indeed.

Maybe get that engine rebuilt, sell the 996 and get into another 3.2 Carrera - put it all behind you if you can.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived