DANKS sport muffler

84911C

I'm thinking about getting a DANKS sport muffler on my 1984 3.2.

Just wondering:

a) if anyone has one and their thoughts

B) how hard are they to install

c) And what should I expect to pay to have it installed? Been given a price and it seems high however maybe there's more to it then I originally thought.

Thanks guys and gals,

I'm thinking about getting a DANKS sport muffler on my 1984 3.2.

Just wondering:

a) if anyone has one and their thoughts

B) how hard are they to install

c) And what should I expect to pay to have it installed? Been given a price and it seems high however maybe there's more to it then I originally thought.

Thanks guys and gals,

Don't pay to install a muffler ; somebody please help the man!

Is it a Stephen Danks muffler? They're a bit dodgy  ;)

Very easy to install.

and it's Dansk, not Danks! Dansk as in Denmark. Where they are made.

You just need to have :

a new flange gasket

New Bolts and lock nuts for the flange(s) (Hi Tensile M12 from memory)

and some muffler/exhaust paste.

1. Jack the rear of the car up and secure with Jack stands on the torsion bars (Inner Tubes Left and right)
  2. Soak the bolts on the flange(s) with some penetrant fluid (CRC or similar) after its cooled down of course
  3. Do the same with the 2 Allen socket bolts on the straps that hold the muffler in place
  4. Undo the Strap Bolts, remove the straps and place a Trolley jack with a flat piece of wood (600-1000mm long) under the Muffler to support its weight
  5. Undo the flange Bolts and carefully release the muffler away from the flange(s) lower the jack and wheel it away
  6. Do the reverse of the above with the new Muffler, However it is easier to put the straps on first and get the allen bolts started and then locate the flanges and bolts and get them started when installing. It is best to have a mate as a holder/locator for this job as doing it yourself can be a bit of a balancing act.

Its not a hard job and could save you $240 in Labour charges.

Mate buy me a kebab with the works and I will give you a hand with it.

Dansk are a quality product .... few threads ive started on this subject earlier this year.... however I love my M&K, if your coming this weekend check me out (M&K).

It took me 15 mins to do the job at home.

900 for a muffler install ?

Seriously let me know when and let's make a morning of it. Not only will you save the cost (more than my M&K delivered to OZ) you have the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

I'm glad I asked the question. When I saw the price I thought it was steep! Especially when pelican sell them for $500ish.

I'll ask the guy. Maybe he's doing something extra?

Doish, are you referring to the harbour bridge thing on Sunday ? If so yeh I'm keen as to hear your M&K as from what I've read they are the bees knees - see ya there

900 for a muffler install ?

Seriously let me know when and let's make a morning of it. Not only will you save the cost (more than my M&K delivered to OZ) you have the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

I'm glad I asked the question. When I saw the price I thought it was steep! Especially when pelican sell them for $500ish.

I'll ask the guy. Maybe he's doing something extra?

Doish, are you referring to the harbour bridge thing on Sunday ? If so yeh I'm keen as to hear your M&K as from what I've read they are the bees knees - see ya there

Heard Dominic's at the Canberra SMT and it sounds good - actually this first got me thinking of sports exhaust.

No mate referring to Saturdays SMT.

Sat SMT, i'll check it out would be good to catch up with you guys - plus i want to hear your M&K Doish.

Thanks for all the tips guys

Hi All

There are some funny numbers being bandied about in this thread.

On Pelican this morning, a stainless steel Dansk sport suitable for a 3.2 Carrera is USD918.50. Then you're looking at another USD244 for shipping (based on the cheapest option). That's around AUD1,300. Factor in another 10% for gst and 5% duties - because your purchase is over $1,000 - and you're in the neighbourhood of $1,400-$1,500.

And the zorst is in a box, not on your car.

James

Mine has a Dansk SS muffler. literally 2 minutes to install. You've heard my car. It's quiet but has a nice note to it in the upper rev range.

IMHO Porsche mufflers are the most over priced under engineered product I've ever come across.  Any competent exhaust shop should be able to knock up a resonator and lukey muffler combo for under the price of a new Dansk before shipping and fitment.

Mine has a Dansk SS muffler. literally 2 minutes to install. You've heard my car. It's quiet but has a nice note to it in the upper rev range.

IMHO Porsche mufflers are the most over priced under engineered product I've ever come across.  Any competent exhaust shop should be able to knock up a resonator and lukey muffler combo for under the price of a new Dansk before shipping and fitment.

You had the WEVO too hey? I'm tossing up between that and the exhaust at the moment...

I can say this as i am not in any way part of the company - Autohaus Sydney do offer a very competitive price on this product so i do feel compelled to give them a plug. I only did not go with this and went M&K as I wanted a M&K after reading about it. The Dansk are a nice product however. PM me if you need any more info and I can call you back.

There are also several links on the net which tells you how to convert your OEM into a sport 'sounding' exhaust at an exhaust shop for less than $100 - several OEM mufflers on sale on Ebay if you want to experiment.

I am with the Wolfman, these mufflers do appear to be expensive however I’m getting a little desensitised to these prices…well all except the 590 Euro for a second hand (x1 unit) headlight washer for my periscope styled SC….now that is just ridiculous!

The price from Design 911 in the UK is 398 pounds, thats $673.00, add shipping to Aust. of about $100-$110 and still cheaper than buying from Aust or USA. I was quoted $1600 to buy local 2 years ago when the exchange rate was better and the muffler cheaper, nothing too funny about an $800 saving. And it was delivered to my door in less than a week.

Dominic

Archived