911 Oil Coolers

Russ

With summer coming I want to be able to drive my car more often - in QLD heat if I drive it in the city the temperature gauge gets alarmingly high (I'm assuming the torque converter never 'fully locking' doesn't really help either)

I've been looking at the Mocal 410 matrix 19 row cooler with mounts and lines (which is a direct replacement for the loop cooler) - I'm going to find a stone guard for it and one of the 6.5 inch pull fans

just wondering if this is going to do what I want (give me the ability to not worry about oil temperature on a hot day)

I'm considering the Mocal as they've got a reputation (not going to be some cheap eBay spec cooler filled with swarf for example) and they seem the best value for money

any ideas?

They do, You can find the small graph in the owners manual!

What are you using?

I can recommend :

Brad Penn 20W 50

Valvoline Hi-Vis 20W 60

Penrite 20W 50

Viscosity is dicated by ambient temperature, when the mercury rises use a thicker oil.

i son't know if the 3.6 generates a whole lot more heat but i think the cooler you've described should do the trick- once the fan comes on temps should stay steady at the mid point on the guage.
if you get any more troubles can add a cooler to the other fender easily.

mainly though how is the airflow through the bumper? might need to figure something out there!

During a spirited drive across Mt Glorious yesterday I noticed my oil temp got slightly north of the 1/2 way point. Will change to a thicker oil and see if that helps, otherwise I'm in the same boat. 

thrashing it up Mt Mee last drive and I had the same issue, except I got up to near the red section (I think the torque converter really does contribute a lot as it never really locks) and that damn loop cooler is as good as useless.

This is the cooler kit i'm looking at, just need to add a fan and a stone guard

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/1583/PorscheOilCoolers

Looks like I'm not the only one. On my drive air temp was only 24degree so wasn't high at all. I was pushing the car quite hard though. It was getting close to 10o'clock range and I backed off.

That kit looks good with all the hoses in a package. I think a fan also is best as there is no airflow under the fender and I'd like things to look OEM.

Looks like I'm not the only one. On my drive air temp was only 24degree so wasn't high at all. I was pushing the car quite hard though. It was getting close to 10o'clock range and I backed off.

That kit looks good with all the hoses in a package. I think a fan also is best as there is no airflow under the fender and I'd like things to look OEM.

absolutely. mostly why i had to switch to the setup i have now

early ones had a 5 blade fan which was rubbish. late 70's onwards they went to an 11 blade fan which is better.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/911_alt_replace/911_alt_replace.htm

Oil coolers came in a few types, the early loop of pipe, the later round tube type oil cooler and the 3.2L type which was a more familiar radiator style with a little thermo fan on it. The 3.2 type is the one to have.

Interestingly, since blanking off my heater my coolant temps have dropped a lot, even when flogging it down the old pac on a warm day.

Old pac? Let know next time you plan to go : ).

early ones had a 5 blade fan which was rubbish. late 70's onwards they went to an 11 blade fan which is better.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/911_alt_replace/911_alt_replace.htm

Oil coolers came in a few types, the early loop of pipe, the later round tube type oil cooler and the 3.2L type which was a more familiar radiator style with a little thermo fan on it. The 3.2 type is the one to have.

Interestingly, since blanking off my heater my coolant temps have dropped a lot, even when flogging it down the old pac on a warm day.

• 4 weeks later...

yeah 'designed for Australian conditions' which I don't know what the Porsche option number is means 11 blade fan (instead of the 5 or 7 blade)

I ended up going with the Mocal 310 row cooler from the big bird - it was substantially cheaper than anywhere else on the internet or locally

going to get a 6.5" pull fan put in front of it, and a shroud made

hopefully should mean the ability to drive in stop go traffic without issue

i son't know if the 3.6 generates a whole lot more heat but i think the cooler you've described should do the trick- once the fan comes on temps should stay steady at the mid point on the guage.

if you get any more troubles can add a cooler to the other fender easily.

mainly though how is the airflow through the bumper? might need to figure something out there!

for airflow the later Carreras have a cut out on the underside of the bumper to let air in (so you don't have to install those ugly scoops) - might be worth finding one and seeing if you can copy the design?

Just on this. Zenny one able to tell me the size and thread of the nuts on the main oil lines in the front right wheel arch?

I need to get some new lines made up to go from them to the oil cooler I plan to mount at the front of the car.

• 2 weeks later...

I brought my canadian 911s back to Sydney with me and just curious what to do about my temp situation... i'm already running 20w50 oil 

Got 75 911s running stock 2.7. 

My guauge is in farenheit i assume and if I don't hit much traffic, it will stay around the 210 mark but once i start sitting in traffic, it gets to the 250 mark with a max temp of 300 on my guage so i assume it's not good...

Had the thermostat replaced by the mechanic and he didn't seem too concerned when I mentioned the temps but just wanted to get more feedback?

Was thinking of oil cooler but wondering if its worth the investment as I only have the engine mounted oil cooler right now. Fortunately I have the 11 blade fan already.

Archived