964 front discs

DJM

I assume this is the start of the enjoyment/frustration nexus of Porsche ownership.

As part of converting from WA to Vic reg, I need a RWC.  Front discs are undersized and need replacing.....previous owner told me they are off 996 GT3.  Part numbers 993 351 045 00 and 046 00.  Guess what, they are in fact 993 RS of all bloody things!  So these discs are like rocking horse pooh in Melbourne.  Mechanic tried everywhere in town and is being told $500 each (his cost) plus shipping ex Germany.

I found them at Design 911 for 194 pounds each (quite a lot cheaper) plus shipping - cheaper than other US, UK, German sites.  Before i jump in and order, any tips on where else i might find these locally? 

(i'll try to forget that there was a pair on ebay in Melbourne in boxes that sold for $94 on 6/10/13.......)

Not a huge issue - it just buggered up my plan to get the reg sorted before i go away for 2 weeks on Friday.  Then again, i am heading to Germany so i guess i could buy direct from the source and carry them home.....

Any suggestions appreciated.

Pelican Parts list the for USD351.00 each.

So, sounds like Design 911 is the best place for you.

Give Autohaus Hamilton a try first as well.

It is alos posible that there is another type of disc that will fit from another model? such has 928 GTS or 928 S4. These are vented discs and not drilled and vented so could be a touch cheaper.

I agree with Steve, give Autohaus Hamilton a try locally and also Gert Carnewal in Belgium is also worth a try. Have bought quite a few bits and pieces from him and the service is excellent.

By the way although $500 might sound a lot it's still cheaper than discs for a 930 or was. I had to replace them about 8 or so years ago and they were over $1000 each then!

Still brakes are rather important so it's money well spent :) :)

Cheers and I am looking forward to catching up to see you car, it looks awesome in the pics.....

C

$500 a disc isn't that expensive either.

It just comes as a shock when you strat to price parts for a Porsche. Bearing in mind that they do last much longer than most discs.

You will also be pleasantly surprised at the cheaper prices of some parts as well!!

So are we to assume that the 964/993/Turbo 4 Discs are what are referred to as 'Big reds'?

assuming it is the 6.2 GT3 350mm setup?

Apparently you can run the Cayenne 350mm rotors, there are articles on Rennlist for this, they use the ATE brand which you can buy from HSY parts. 

might be worth a look?

EDIT: Plenty of info here on the Cayenne Rotors 

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/704798-ate-cayenne-s-rotors-for-996-gt3-where-are-they.html 

And these might just do it... http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=StopTech&model=Sport+Slotted+Rotor&group=Sport+Slotted+Rotor&partNum=126.33090PSL&autoMake=Porsche&autoModel=Cayenne+S&autoYear=2006&autoModClar=Without+TPMS

Thanks for the tips

James from autohaus was straight onto it, deal done, under $400 each delivered, discs arrive tomorrow

The 993 turbo and RS appear to be very similar or the same - both 322mm diameter same thickness etc not sure why slightly different part numbers (some suppliers offer the one disc for both part numbers)

I also assume these are what are referred to as big red?

Archived