Question relating to servicing my 987

withers

I meant to ask the guys this question last night but totally forgot.

So around 900km ago I had the IMS Solution fitted to my car,  it got new oil (obviously) and had quite a bit of work done to fit this latest kit to it.

The car is now due for it's 12 month service by time NOT kilometres. In fact it's done only 4000km since the last service and the 900km since the IMS Solution was fitted.

The car has perfect service history.  Given Weltmeister want between 790 - just under 1k to do a minor service on it AND after it's just had oil change and doesn't need anything else. Would you take it for a service now or ??  I know the car needs nothing - the last service it had a year ago the car had $4000 spent on it, with new brake pads and a bunch of other things fitted.

I kinda feel like I'm throwing away money. The IMS Solution hasn't dropped a drip of oil in the garage either. So it all looks hunky dory.

I have NO intention of selling this car - not unless something totally unexpected is thrown at me.

Ok opinions?

Pack your bags, you're going on a guilt trip here, sorry in advance.

This is why Porsches deteriorate and once secondhand a flimsy service history devalues the car, somewhat.

However, you clearly care for your car so perhaps you can get away with this when and if it comes time to sell it on.

I would recommend the 12 mth service, only when the oil is 12 months old, regarless of Km's travelled.

At the very least, not having any experience with the M97 engines, I would suggest only a filter change if this is possible without draining all or most of the oil.

I would do it as all fluids deteriorate over time and not necessarily Km's travelled. I even tend to change fluids when any of the 3 following occur :

1) The oil starts to take on colour, ie: its not that rich honey hue anymore

2) 12 Months has passed since last fluid change and

3) 5000 km's has clocked up since last fluid change

Sadly, doing this can mean a cost of $1000 per annum and more when you have a major service.

Noting that a Boxster Fluid change is not as simple as other models, however I am astonished at the price!!

You could also cut the price down by sourcing your own oil and filter(s) so in essence you BYO parts and they just charge their hourly rate for work performed.

I'd suggest that their rate is around $135 ph.

Or, crazy option number 28, is have a crack at doing it yourself with someone on hand to help, guide and advise.

If you can wait until December 8th, I'll be in melbourne for a conference and may be able to assist if you have access to a pit or Car lift.

Missing services is a false economy in any car or vehicle. ;)

Please forgive my ignorance here but I thought Porsche service intervals were every 2 years  or 24000KM, it it different you this model?

Perhaps modern porsches, however I couldn't sleep at night leaving it that long.

Of course a 987 is modern, however The above maintenance regime has not let me down throughout my car owning life yet.

After spending alot of time on oil analysis services after I have drained my cars engine or Transmission fluids, I have arrived at the above strategy.

I guess its only important if you keep cars for a long time, but its important for me regardless.

I am probably OTT with this but oil is cheaper than an engine rebuild. My time costs me nothing so I have that advantage as well.

Thanks guys -  I wouldn't be asking this question if the car hadn't been in having the IMS Soluiton fitted in August this year.  Where, it was fully drained of all it's oil and a new filter fitted. The car would be getting serviced.

I have EVERY intention of babying this car - but I think I am a bit confused about what needs to be done now vs what is my paying money for something that may not really need doing at this point.

Then again - with the fact the IMS Solution has been fitted, maybe fresh oil is a good idea in case there's anything in there from the new bearing?

I dunno, which is why I'm asking :)

EDIT: Mine is every 12 months or 10,000km  -  I just checked over the books and receipts again. The car has perfect and I mean perfect down to the same time of the month every November since it was born.  I'm going to get it serviced regardless and carry on this perfect history.  It had the brake fluid changed last year, so thats a few  hundy less I have to spend.  I'll get Weltmeister to do it this year and rethink who does it next November. I need the most experienced in the IMS Solution to check the install first time around i think.

If you can wait until December 8th, I'll be in melbourne for a conference and may be able to assist if you have access to a pit or Car lift.

Missing services is a false economy in any car or vehicle. ;)

Thats a very nice offer thanks Steve. I was about to say if you need a ride out to the Airport or anything let me know, but then remembered I won't be in town  DOH! 

Think they're having a lend Amanda.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the service, anyone that goes through your service history, when your selling the car, should realise/know that it would've been done with the IMS. 

Think they're having a lend Amanda.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the service, anyone that goes through your service history, when your selling the car, should realise/know that it would've been done with the IMS. 

Thats their price - you think they have a price for women enquiring and one for men?  LOL  :)  sometimes you do wonder!

I'll ask to speak to Matt about it I think.

I would definitely change the oil and filter.

Just don't get this crowd to do it because I think its a bit too pricey.

Max 2 hr job(rounded up) if theres a lift handy.

thats $260 for labour and around $150 for oil , Filter and oil disposal levy(if charged).

Contact Hartech (Adrian?) and get a quote from him. He's a watercooled enthusiast as well.

why don't you give auto art a call? as their quoted prices to me on minor services were must more sensible, $400-$600

http://www.autoartaustralia.com/

As for changing the oil more often ... there are devices that suck up the oil from the top, i.e. from the oil filler tube, anyone tried these devices for the 987 and 997's?

that way you can suck up and change the oil without a hoist. Useful when you don't want to go the 2 year distance with the oil.

I personally wouldn't get another service until the Boxster has done 10,000 ks or 12 months from when the IMS was done. That included a 'service' with new oil and filter IMHO. Any future buyer looking at the service history would be able to see that you have maintained the car according to the specified service intervals. You even had the precautionary IMS replacement. Shows a careful and no cost spared service history to me at least :)

Archived