Nice 993 Turbo

Been looking for a 993 turbo , cant seem to find one i like  , i like this one but not for the price , been thinking of going  993 non turbo but not sure if that`s the correct  thing to do ,

or look at the 1970`s  Carrera`s

I know it's low kms............but big bucks!!!!!

Nothing as cool as the power of the Turbo planted to the ground with 4WD............unless of course its a 993 with 3.8 upgrade and striped to bare bones.

Big differences in price and type of car between 993 Turbo, standard aspirated and 1970's. Depends what you want to get out of it.

Yes.

Ive had a 993 2S, an 993 RSCS, and a 993 Turbo.

Ive looked at and driven several more 993's over the years.

I liked my 993 Turbo because it does everything well and brings me a sense of quality engineering and craftsmanship every time I sit in it. It also looks sensational to me and most others.

They each had their merits.

You just need to drive more 911's.

You will never work it out through a forum.

Just go drive some cars and enjoy the ride.

It almost doesnt matter which way you go first off because if you are like most of us, 911's become a journey not a destination, and you will change them over as you explore the field.

Happy hunting.

That slate grey car was the one for sale in Adelaide three months ago.

It had been lowered and had a BMC filter sticker on the intercooler.

Looks like its been redeemed and cleaned up.

I cant stand the factory aero kit, but thats just me.

Probably a good car, but you would want to drive it and have it very closely inspected at that price as it should be perfect.

As cars get older  would the 993 S2  be the pick  ?.

Thinking  the 993 S4  4wd more to go wrong?  and with the  993 Turbo more maintenance ? not sure ,

Seen 993  advertised from $60 k to $180  , would you get a turbo for under $100k 

thanks 

Paul

I don't think a turbo worth having would of sold for under 100K in at least 10 years. Power is never free so yes a turbo is going to cost more to run long term.

Oh and I'm with Simon on the aero kit. It just spoils the near perfect lines in my eyes.

Autohaus were getting a black 993 turbo in in the last month or so but never saw it hit there web site .

Do most of the 993 `s need  engine work at 100 000 kms, seems to be a common thing around those kms

with people having to spend +- $30 k  on motor ect ,

i suppose what i am saying is,  you dont want to buy somthing and then find you up for another $30k on engine

if it is around the 100 000 kms mark ?  or is this not true

Haven't come across that before, either the 100k thing or spending 30k on the rebuild..... That would be one heck of a rebuild!

The more likely scenario is a top end rebuild to be budgeted for from the 150k mark onwards. Still I bet there are plenty out there with well over 200k that haven't needed more than scheduled servicing and still running happily. Turbos, due to the stresses they operate under would normally need a rebuild sooner than a N/A car.

C

That`s good to hear , this was the one that threw me 

"Over $43,000 was spent at Porsche Sydney at the 101,000Km mark, including full (upper and lower) engine re-build, new clutch, cam and much more. All fully documented. Within the last 18 months a further $8000 has been spent on it to ensure it is in exceptional condition. 

Last Modified 17/10/2013 Vehicle 1997 Porsche 911 Carrera 993 4S Price $116,500* Excluding on-road costs Kilometres 116,217

I know the most recent owner of this car. It is simply stunning. He went to great expense to reverse the mods (filter, suspension etc) and did a superb job. $175k is a lot but the car really justifies this in the flesh. My only fear would be adding 20 000 km's in the first year!

I know the most recent owner of this car. It is simply stunning. He went to great expense to reverse the mods (filter, suspension etc) and did a superb job. $175k is a lot but the car really justifies this in the flesh. My only fear would be adding 20 000 km's in the first year!

Why move it on so quick after buying the car?

Chris

I disagree with the supposition that a 993 Turbo will need engine work befor a naturally aspirated 993.

The Turbo is a lazy lower revving motor.

Well serviced, they last almost indefinitely.

The N/A car works harder.

Paul

There are certain wear items on ALL 993's that need doing due to time and mileage.

Power steering racks, shocks, and rocker cover gaskets seem to be time lifed.

Every 993 should have had these done by now.

Clutches, brakes, aircon are all dependent on usage and driver quality.

However they certainly dont all require a $30,000 rebuild at 100kms unless they have been walloped or never serviced.

993's, and Porsches in general dont always attract the attention they should from owners, and corners are cut by impecunious or uncaring owners.

Those same owners are usually the ones that drive the cars badly and it doesnt take long for a mongo to break anything.

So, ignore the mileage within reason, make sure the steering rack has been done ($4k last time I wore one), dont accept a rocker cover leak on a Turbo is a cheap fix ($4,000) and make sure the car has been serviced by an expert.

Its just basic stuff, that applies to any Porsche.

If youve got the money and you like it look hard at that grey car. Hes motivated to sell, and the market sets the price in the end not the vendor

Happy hunting..

Chris

I disagree with the supposition that a 993 Turbo will need engine work befor a naturally aspirated 993.

Paul

There are certain wear items on ALL 993's that need doing due to time and mileage.

Power steering racks, shocks, and rocker cover gaskets seem to be time lifed.

Every 993 should have had these done by now.

Clutches, brakes, aircon are all dependent on usage and driver quality.

However they certainly dont all require a $30,000 rebuild at 100kms unless they have been walloped or never serviced.

993's, and Porsches in general dont always attract the attention they should from owners, and corners are cut by impecunious or uncaring owners.

Those same owners are usually the ones that drive the cars badly and it doesnt take long for a mongo to break anything.

So, ignore the mileage within reason, make sure the steering rack has been done ($4k last time I wore one), dont accept a rocker cover leak on a Turbo is a cheap fix ($4,000) and make sure the car has been serviced by an expert.

Its just basic stuff, that applies to any Porsche.

If youve got the money and you like it look hard at that grey car. Hes motivated to sell, and the market sets the price in the end not the vendor

Happy hunting..

from the add i thought it was with a dealer ? or is the dealer selling it on  his behalf ?

cheers 

If this is indeed true, Porsche is truly incredible at being able to defy the laws of physics, at 408 hp compared to 270hp with the same capacity the turbo should have far more internal stress. Personally I think that sounds like B/S

Anyone know this car ? Seems good ?

i know its not a turbo but i don`t know if i could justify the extra $50k to $60k  for the turbo .

Why was so much spent on it $50k since 100000 kms  ?

thoughts on it as a car ?

thanks 

1997 Porsche 911 Carrera 993 4S
$116,500

Reluctant sale of one of best examples of a 993 4S to be found in Australia. One previous owner. One of the last built (March 1997) of the now legendary 993 series 911s. Scuderia Veloce Motors (Sydney) delivered. In completely original and unmodified condition, and having an unmatched mechanical service history, this represents a unique opportunity to secure a widebody 993. Rarely does a Black Metallic (with black interior) manual coupe come on to the market, let alone a C4S.

Over $43,000 was spent at Porsche Sydney at the 101,000Km mark, including full (upper and lower) engine re-build, new clutch, cam and much more. All fully documented. Within the last 18 months a further $8000 has been spent on it to ensure it is in exceptional condition. Bodywork is in beautiful condition, (no accident history) as is the interior trim. Given that 993s frequently require a top-end rebuild at approx the 100,000km mark this example represents great value. All the costly work has been done. And before you ask: no oil leaks, and yes the air con works properly.

In addition to all the C4S standard features, over and above a C2/4 or C2S, this comes with the following factory fitted options: Metallic Schwarz Black paint, soft leather interior, alloy Carrera 4S door sills, Techquipment handbrake, Becker 6 CD stacker.

Given what I have invested in to this 911, I am extremely reluctant to sell, but due to my time constraints, growing family and house/garaging situation, it is no longer practical to keep. This is a genuine sale. Genuine buyers only need contact me.

It looks like a very nice car. I like the colour! But in my opinion it's over priced. I wouldn't be paying more than 100k for a C4S especially one with those km's. Still it's a nice car.....

If you haven't worked out it's the same colour as mine :)

Oh and Simon, think we will have to agree to disagree. :) :)

C

Chris

We can disagree no problem.

But, I've got a gun 911 mechanic who agrees with me, and I've had both....several times.

So at the risk of sounding like a wanker, I'm comfortable where I'm sitting but I'm conscious of hubris here.

Having said that guess where the Turbo is?

In the workshop having the rocker cover gaskets replaced.

Lack of use got them you see.

5000kms in 8 years is not enough.

Mind you, that's got nothing to do with compression, it's probably the turbos heat that doesn't help.

And then there's the famous " while you're in there syndrome" which always always leads to the "how much did you just say it cost! afterwards.

You've got to love these cars or the cheques will kill you.

Funny thing is even when it has cost a fortune, and I think this jaunt will crack $5k, I always feel ok about it, even when it's killing me to find the money.

That's love I think.

It's that fat red arse.....

If I had a lazy $50k floating around I would love a Turbo.

IMHO they are the ultimate in air-cooled cool. But even if I had the coin I would be concerned about the cost of upkeep as most of what I have read suggests that the cost of maintenance, or shall we say "correct maintenance" is substantially more than a standard Carrera. HP costs eventually.

If this is indeed true Porsche is truly incredible at being able to defy the laws of physics, at 408 hp compared to 270hp with the same capacity the turbo should have far more internal stress. Personally I think that sounds like B/S

Steve

We could go around in circles on this for years, but I would ask you to consider this before letting fly with the B/S remark. The turbo has a lower compression ratio, it uses less revs for the same specific output, the gearbox is stronger internally, the engine has stronger internals, etc. You wont hammer it as hard as a n/a 911 to get the same performance result. Very few Turbos have had engine work, other than by choice. They really do just keep going if serviced.

I'll grant you that when they do go wrong there is more to fix, and the cost will be higher as result. I know that when mine eventually needs a rebuild it will be a major expense because I will choose to upgrade certain items while Im in there, but at 112,000kms it is using no oil (other than the current leak), and the rest of the car is as fit as a fiddle. Ive already done the usual suspects, the steering rack, bilsteins over monroes, and brakes. No clutch change so far and no sign of it being needed. Im no orphan, ask around, there are lots of very happy Turbo owners who havent had issues. The dealers love them, and ask higher prices over time relatively. People are happy to pay it seems, as the cars have no reputation for trouble.

Theres one my mechanic services that cops a merciless caning every time it is driven. Its now had new turbos by choice, and one clutch in 110,000kms. Otherwise its had exactly the same wear items as mine including the rocker cover gaskets recently.

The steering rack and shocks issues come at 80,000kms or thereabouts and if they are done, just keep driving......just like a n/a 993.

Archived