Closing the front boot on my Boxster

mockney999

Hi all,

What is classed as best practise when you close the front boot on the Boxster. I don't know if I should slam it shut or close it with a firm push, with the push I am then worried I am going to dent it over the long term.

At the moment I close the boot until it touches the latch and then a firm push to close, but I would appreciate any comments in case if am doing the wrong thing.

Thanks

Paul

Hey Paul

As told to me by the dealer and I think also mentioned in the book.

You are right to be careful as the bonnet is aluminium and you need to be careful

Close the bonnet gently then place the heal of your hand on the Porsche badge and press until it clicks...

The rear boot is a short sharp (controlled) slam

Not sure if this crosses over to all models; but, I have been closing my bonnet by pressing on the Porsche badge for many years now and noticed I was getting a slight depression right in the middle of the badge (better than the bonnet I guess).  I recently noticed the rubber seal between the badge and the bonnet was deteriorating, so purchased a new seal from PCB ($12) and changed it over during the week.  After pulling it apart, managed to pursued the dent out, taking care not to crack the inset resin. 

Now the bit to consider.  The seal has a big circle cut out of it (maybe 40mm) to accept the fastening pins.  This is why the badge dented over time as there is a gap between the bonnet and back of the badge.  You tend to push pretty hard here to make sure the bonnet is fully locked and no chance of coming up whilst driving.  I cut the old seal up and glued it to the back of the badge to provide even support when closing the bonnet.  It feels more solid now and hopefully no issues in the future. 

No packer.......push on the outside edges of the badge not right in the middle  ;)

I was told to use the bottom of the palm of your hand and to press against the bonnet just below the badge. My badge quickly developed a noticeable dint when I pushed there and after replacing it have chosen to push aginst the bonnet rather than the badge.

Thanks Airhead, I'm on my roadtrip and my bag fits perfectly onto the front boot so I am going to be using it daily for the next 10 days hence my original question.

I didn't realize that this was something were the guys and girls applied different methods to shutting the lid, but your option does make sense where the boot lid is supported would seem the ideal place to apply pressure without causing any damage... I will take a look this morning where the supporting beam is as I load up the car and try your approach.

Archived