Thunderbolt way - anyone been?

MaxzmusSC

Hey Guys,

A friend and I are heading up tomorrow afternoon to Taree to stay overnight and do the Thunderbolt way drive the following morning.

Was curious if anyone on here as driven those roads before?

Oh anyone with a free day to join from up that way are free to join us. 

Cheers,

Will

My dad dropped a couple of hints that he wants to do a run to Walcha so in the next couple of weeks I am going.

I heard they were repairing part of that road out of Gloucester way, I think Peter M did a run up there not too long ago.

So your going Friday? Could almost make that.

Funny you mention this....

Often rough but overall a wonderful drive.  The section north of Gloucester is tight, often steep, narrow and winding and can be a pain if you get caught behind traffic.  Once up on top of the plateau the road improves, the corners open up and speeds increase right through to Walcha.

Also expect some road works as the pavement is continually disintegrating.  I've probably driven it a couple times a year for the last 20 years and take it in preference to the New England Highway every time. 

Count me in if you intend going via Gloucester from Taree as I've been tossing up between doing a run this week to Walcha or Bulahdelah (via Booral on Buckett's Way to visit Wootton Way). 

Alternatively you could go via Wauchope, Oxley Highway and connect with Thunderbolts Way at Walcha and heading south to home.  Haven't been on the Oxley since the mid eighties but remember the road fondly on my '84 VF750FD...... 

I have a great route in mind to come from Dungog and out on the Buckets way at Stroud and on to Gloucester then Thunderbolt's but it's a big day out and I don't think anyone would want to do it, lot's of k's.

We're planning on heading up oxley and coming down thunderbolt then dungog. Starting at 6am'ish so that leg should take us to lunch.

We're not sure if we want to fit anything else in at this stage.

So looking forward to this.

1522306_10151775602637330_1770613025_n.j

Ah, I also forgot to say the last 30km into Walcha is rough too!  Funny how you notice the road surface more when you're in a car you actually own rather than just lease......

Anyway, after leaving a slightly perplexed spouse at 6.45am I was at Gloucester at 8 for breakfast.  Traffic was also almost non-existent too for the run up onto the plateau and a stop for photos at the lookout that's about halfway between Gloucester and Nowendoc:

RIMG0008_zps5d1df611.jpg

and finally at Walcha:

RIMG0016_zpsbdcfb7f9.jpg

and then back home for lunch after covering 560km in total.

I was actually looking out for you the whole time…….couldn't reply to your last msg the night before as my mobile logged me out of this forum and I didn't remember my password lol.

Oxley is way awesome….and pretty tight. God imagine how good thunderbolt would be if the road was good. Both my friends MX5 and the P struggled on the bumpy bits…….abit rough for our spirited damper settings : ).

I might be doing a long trip westward around march - april…..so awesome seeing abit of country Australia.

Ah, I also forgot to say the last 30km into Walcha is rough too!  Funny how you notice the road surface more when you're in a car you actually own rather than just lease......

Anyway, after leaving a slightly perplexed spouse at 6.45am I was at Gloucester at 8 for breakfast.  Traffic was also almost non-existent too for the run up onto the plateau and a stop for photos at the lookout that's about halfway between Gloucester and Nowendoc:

RIMG0008_zps5d1df611.jpg

ha! I knew that spot looked familiar! 

jvmk.jpg

Great drive, lots of nice scenery... too rough in some spots, it'll be a while before I go back, maybe when the macan arrives :lol:

• 8 months later...

they're always moving cattle on that road, and grazing them. they're normally well signposted though

some of the undulations closer to tamworth are enough to scrape mudflaps on aussie sedans, i was fine in a 911 though

they're always moving cattle on that road, and grazing them. they're normally well signposted though

some of the undulations closer to tamworth are enough to scrape mudflaps on aussie sedans, i was fine in a 911 though

Russ did you drive the route I was asking about above to Tamworth from Thunderbolts Way? or did you go via Walcha using the Oxley Highway?

about a year ago, if it's the road past nundle. I don't remember what it's like though apart from damp around the barrington tops.

that photo clutch-monkey posted looked alot like the road into Guyra or Uralla, that's the one the cattle are usually on

• 3 weeks later...

I have been keen to drive through this area for quite a while and today got a chance! Wow! Great driving roads! I wasn't sure on the road quality so decided not to take the P car this time, but will certainly on the next run in this direction.

Have to agree with MaxzmusSC the Oxley Highway from Walcha to Port Macquarie is a highlight. I just loved the long straights and curves that tightened into many kilometres of twist on twist along the mountain face. And the road surface along the highway for the most part is excellent. ( give or take a few land slip areas... Ok we are in OZ)

First pit stop from Sydney was to break the diet I'm supposed to be on......

FC40A43A-3F16-4320-962B-1CD2B7FEA342_zps

Next was to soak up the views of our great country

B931CD5F-F991-4790-B624-1531D92CA218_zps

Great driving. Would be good fodder for a planned PFA run at some stage.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived