Short shift option

hugh

So I have been looking into options regarding short shifter/linkage options and was curious as to what others have experienced?

'Short shifter' kit or are the Wevo shifters worth the extra $$$$? Anyone install themselves? Love to hear your thoughts...........

Hugh,

I went from standard short shift to a Wevo Classic for my 915.  The difference to use is like night and day with no visual impact to the stick or boot which was important to me.  Installed it myself too. 

Expensive I agree but I haven't regretted it for a moment.  Anyway, you don't own these cars to save money do you!

Hugh,

I went from standard short shift to a Wevo Classic for my 915.  The difference to use is like night and day with no visual impact to the stick or boot which was important to me.  Installed it myself too. 

Expensive I agree but I haven't regretted it for a moment.  Anyway, you don't own these cars to save money do you!

I was initially looking at the Wevo as they seem to be the preferred option, then I started reading up on the short shift kits and was curious if someone had experienced both to know if there is a significant difference. That is exactly the info I was after, thanks Peter! 

Hugh,

Sorry Peter, I'm far from a mechanic but can follow (basic) instructions - they say 2 hours, is it a task you would say is manageable by a simpleton like myself?  :unsure:

I'm personally not a fan of short shift. I enjoy the long throw. But haven't driven a 3.0 before, i have no idea how yours shifts. Sometimes a refresh of a shift linkage and all links will make it more of a nicer feel. 

Hugh, are you looking for a faster shifter or just something that shifts better? I read that you cant really shift any faster with short shifts and 915's.. many people wear out transmission components earlier than usual because they tend to shift too quick with the short shift

Hugh, my 3 cents agrees with Peter and Chris.

I am a mechanical simpleton, yet my mate Tony, slightly less slow, and myself were able to fit it (with a new WEVO coupler that you should also install) in a few hours... on a hot day... between refreshments...  ;) I did, however, take it out to George Cairns workshop for them to make the final tweaks... which took about 47 seconds, but was way beyond my competency!

The difference is marked, for me a more positive connection with the gears, but most important to me was the reduced distance needed to find 3rd when locked back into the chair with harnesses at the track - until then I was using my middle finger at full extend as final push through into 3rd! (as you know I'm 6'4" and have the seat pretty far back).

The negative of the WEVO IMHO is that it is definitely noisier, although my mate Roni is going to help me sort this in the next few weeks :)

Kerry

I'm personally not a fan of short shift. I enjoy the long throw. But haven't driven a 3.0 before, i have no idea how yours shifts. Sometimes a refresh of a shift linkage and all links will make it more of a nicer feel. 

I am pretty used to it to be honest and I don't mind it, however I recently purchased a new linkage kit (to make a recent pelican postage a bit more worthwhile) and was looking to install. That then got me thinking "while I'm there" and thought it maybe worth raising the question. 

Hugh, are you looking for a faster shifter or just something that shifts better? I read that you cant really shift any faster with short shifts and 915's.. many people wear out transmission components earlier than usual because they tend to shift too quick with the short shift

It would be good to get it feeling a bit 'more precise'. As I mentioned, I am used to it but with 'energetic' driving (track etc.) something a bit more direct may make me concentrate more on the road (and worry less about missing a gear!!). Fair point though, good to know. 

Hugh, my 3 cents agrees with Peter and Chris.

I am a mechanical simpleton, yet my mate Tony, slightly less slow, and myself were able to fit it (with a new WEVO coupler that you should also install) in a few hours... on a hot day... between refreshments...   ;) I did, however, take it out to George Cairns workshop for them to make the final tweaks... which took about 47 seconds, but was way beyond my competency!

The difference is marked, for me a more positive connection with the gears, but most important to me was the reduced distance needed to find 3rd when locked back into the chair with harnesses at the track - until then I was using my middle finger at full extend as final push through into 3rd! (as you know I'm 6'4" and have the seat pretty far back).

The negative of the WEVO IMHO is that it is definitely noisier, although my mate Roni is going to help me sort this in the next few weeks :)

Kerry

Yes, Roni mentioned you were looking to catch up - I may need to make a booking with him!  :D

Hugh,

I think you will enjoy the greater precision and "knowing where you are" which makes driving easier. It still won't shift like a DSG though, nor can you expect it too!

Funny you posted this question yesterday because the day before I took mine for a run around suburb and was delighted with the snick, snick, snick gear changes and couldn't have enjoyed having a manual gearbox more.

As for how long it takes to change over, it took me longer than 2 hours as I wasn't able to remove the knob from the original level with it still in the car. It was also the first time I had removed the console so there was a fair bit of head scratching as well! Overall the instructions provided are good and clear and it's a straight forward job in the end.

Unlike Kerry, I haven't noticed it being noisier with the Wevo. In fact the other way round since I don't swear because of muffed shifts anymore!

Hugh,I think you will enjoy the greater precision and "knowing where you are" which makes driving easier. It still won't shift like a DSG though, nor can you expect it too!Funny you posted this question yesterday because the day before I took mine for a run around suburb and was delighted with the snick, snick, snick gear changes and couldn't have enjoyed having a manual gearbox more.As for how long it takes to change over, it took me longer than 2 hours as I wasn't able to remove the knob from the original level with it still in the car. It was also the first time I had removed the console so there was a fair bit of head scratching as well! Overall the instructions provided are good and clear and it's a straight forward job in the end.Unlike Kerry, I haven't noticed it being noisier with the Wevo. In fact the other way round since I don't swear because of muffed shifts anymore!

Sounds good, thanks Peter!

Hi Hugh, I agree with Peter. I put the wevo classic on the 930 and was the best enhancement I made to it...

C

Hugh,

I agree as well. Was one of the best improvements that I made to the C3. Certainly not faster (I like to take my time shifting anyway), but more positive and shorter throw. Wevo also has the lock out preventing 5th to reverse (which is handy for track use - don't want to make that mistake!!).

Has been just short of a month since I sold my C3, and missing her terribly!

Mike

First mod I made to my 930.  Wevo short shift and coupler.  Made a vague gearbox bearable and stopped the selection of accidental reverse. Didn't notice any noise level change, but the gearbox wasn't really quiet to begin with. My coupler may well have only needed rebushing.

This "could" be the source of any noise increase, as the Wevo coupler is a metal universal joint.

With the gearbox rebuilt, shifting is more precise and throw is reduced.

For more reduced throw,  you might consider the D-Zug 935 style shifter.  

Archived