Is this a big job?

Guest hepkat63

Guest hepkat63

Hi,
getting some work done to my transmission at the moment and whilst the car was on the hoist, i noticed this split rubber boot.  Can anyone please help with the proper name of it (sorry !!) and is it a big job to replace/fix please?

thank you !

boot.jpg

It's just a 'boot'

To replace that, you need to remove the whole axel. How long as it been split for? If it's not long, you should be able to get away with replacing the boot only. If it seems like a while, should just replace the axel as dirt can damage the bearings. 

You might not be able to take the boot off the axel with our ripping apart the CV. 

Its a CV joint boot

you should be able to take it out clean it and repack it

id say it's medium difficulty, but you should be able to do it at home over a weekend

The old boot is not worth saving, rip it off.  Clean the CV and apply new grease.  The trick is getting the new one on.  A repair shop should have the CV boot stretching tool, then its simple.  Do both ends and consider doing both sides.  If one has failed then the others may be close.  One less worry.

Have a look at your steering rack boots too, they are just as old !!

I re-packed the cv's in my car recently. Not difficult but messy. Once you have the drive shaft assembly unbolted, there's a circlip holding the shaft in the cv joint. Tricky to remove without the right tool. With the shaft out of the spline the boot slips straight off. It's worth cleaning and re-greasing all four cv's while you're there. Putting the balls back in the race will do your head in.

Use new bolts torqued to the correct spec. when you re-fit the shaft assemblies. 45Nm from memory.

Guest hepkat63

thanks guys, I source out James tomorrow and see what he can supply.  

I am not sure when the boot split - could have been like that for a while - I see fairly 'newish' grease in there, so probably just happened as I am guessing if the grease was all black and covered in dirt, it would have been for a while.

Yes, the springs are weird and yes, there are Bilsteins on the front - but these ones on the back?  Not knowing the history of the car, i cannot supply the reason for using two different brands.

Here's the post from when I cleaned up my CV's. Third photo shows the circlip I mentioned before.  If you do this job yourself, take your time putting the ball cage back in the outer housing. It can go in 2 ways. one way is wrong and won't allow the joint to articulate and it's a bitch to get apart again when this happens.  I had a few goes before I worked it out. You have to do it to understand, I can't explain how it fits.  Good luck.

I turned this
C98CA232-34E8-467A-A02C-A556289FB8B2.jpg
Into this...
E1F97FAD-9348-4C37-89E8-972CB601B21A.jpg
Which became this after much head scratching getting it to assemble correctly
E09492EA-948C-40E8-92BA-975377C0C20A.jpg
and finally put it all back here...
5F1AEBBD-9CEB-436E-BED5-1E5F4F217BB8.jpg

The old boot is not worth saving, rip it off.  Clean the CV and apply new grease.  The trick is getting the new one on.  A repair shop should have the CV boot stretching tool, then its simple.  Do both ends and consider doing both sides.  If one has failed then the others may be close.  One less worry.

Have a look at your steering rack boots too, they are just as old !!

Looking at the size of the CV joint, I can't see how the bellows could stretch enough to come off without removing the shaft first.

IMG_2222.jpg

Looking at the size of the CV joint, I can't see how the bellows could stretch enough to come off without removing the shaft first.

IMG_2222.jpg

My mistake, lack of familiarity with the engineering.

cheers

Harvs. I think you just scared the hell out of him.

With good cause. LOL

If poor hepkat is asking about removing the dust boot assembling the CV joint itself is a real little Rubic's Cube that he is going to have hours of fun with.

The good news is there is only 4 of them. 

The only way to learn hepkat is to do it.

It will be very satisfying to have the finished job in front of you however if you don't like your hands getting all icky you can forget this particular project.

You'll be right, if not Harvey will fly up and assemble them for you.

Archived