Questions from a newbie (considering an 04 986 S Manual)....

Prav

Prav, my understanding is that the M97 engine (as fitted to all but the very earliest 997/987 cars) has a much beefier IMS bearing and a much better history than the M96.

Yes, there is an IMS bearing upgrade bearing available for M97 engines, but it's an engine out job to replace it, and requires the crankcase to be split.  The M96 IMS bearing upgrade is usually installed with the engine in the car.

Bear in mind that the manufacturers of cures - for anything at all - have a vested interest in talking up the size of the problem because, hey, they can fix it.

My car Prav, had the weakest of all IMS bearings in it - the single row bearing. It is more prone to failure  ie 10% is a figure touted in the USA.

Look, its a worry - but it shouldn't stop you buying a Cayman if thats what you want. Hey all cars can have failures. A guy I used to work with had a liberty turbo engine go bang just months out of warranty. Subaru wanted $22k for a new engine... last I heard he was fighting with them to get it fixed for free.

Google DSG gearbox for a MkV GTI - you'd run screaming. 

Internet makes everything seem way bigger than it is. 

Eyes wide open and work out if its for you or not.

My car is a late Nov 2004 built car, so one of the very early 987s.  Weltmeister were surprised they could service the IMS bearing.  Worst thing is, you don't know if you can replace it till the clutch is out!

i have a Cayman S...

PLEASE STOP ALL THIS TALK ABOUT IMS IN CAYMAN - IT'S SCARING THE BEJEEZUS OUT OF ME!!!!

Seriously though, there is no point talking about 986 or 987 till you have sat in them both.

Amandas car is pretty cool. My partner loves the colour of the interior but I think we'd look pretty wanky with both of them in the garage.

Actually, she isnt allowed to put anything in the garage; it's all mine. So she cannot park a nice car outside and THAT is why she isnt getting the boxster... along with the fact she doesnt wash anything and wonders why i get cranky when she lets bird poo sit on her car...

rant over...

for now.

Hey Mike - and the hits just keep coming!

Rita has an Audi A1 which would never get washed if I didn't do it  :D

She parks in the garage only cause I wash it and I want to keep it clean for a least a day or two before she runs it out and gets it dirty again.

I hear you brother!!

Although, I reckon Amanda's car is awesome and i wouldn't mind it in my driveway..

And all that IMS stuff.. worth considering.  I think I might go the LN Solution (which Amanda has done) when the warranty on mine expires next year.

• 1 month later...

Hey Mike - and the hits just keep coming!

Rita has an Audi A1 which would never get washed if I didn't do it  :D

She parks in the garage only cause I wash it and I want to keep it clean for a least a day or two before she runs it out and gets it dirty again.

I hear you brother!!

Although, I reckon Amanda's car is awesome and i wouldn't mind it in my driveway..

And all that IMS stuff.. worth considering.  I think I might go the LN Solution (which Amanda has done) when the warranty on mine expires next year.

If you are planning on keeping the car long term, I think the IMS Solution offers best peace of mind. If you do sell, mention it in the advert and let those that don't know about the IMS look it up - makes your car look great and shows the new owner that they have nothing to worry about from the moment they leave your driveway.  That is what happened when selling mine. 

you'll be back in another Porsche soon!

I admire your stance though, I wouldn't be able to do it (I'd have bought another car by now and have it in the shed as a project lol)

Archived