more questions from a slightly wiser newbie (re 05 987 S)

Prav

Dear PFA team,

You've all been amazing thus far. I owe everyone a coffee at the first drive to which I bring my car. But I need a little more help.

A colleague has offered me his 2005 987 Boxster S, optioned to the hilt, with 75000kms and a 12 month genuine extended Porsche warranty for $44k. With transfer fees and duty, this a 46k car. I'm so tempted. The car has only ever been touched by Porsche centres and comes in beautiful black.

This car has the 3.2L M96 engine. That means I can service the IMS easily yes? That is, no splitting of the casing needed?

Should I get this done ASAP or once out of warranty?

And comments on the price? The car lives in NSW at the moment.

I have heard rumblings the 986 is less problematic than the 987? And I have an 04 986 S on hold with a dealer for about 6k less..

Advice? Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks!!

PK

Yes it's a manual.

To answer your question Prav - you won't know if the IMS can be done until they pull it apart and have a look at the bearing.

Oh and I wouldn't say a 986 S is less problematic. Not sure where you heard that.

Just buy the car with warranty and be done with it.

Thanks again guys.

Just confirmed the purchase (sorry Mike). Now the many joys of finance, insurance and IMS correction. Fingers firmly crossed. Amanda - your car seems really special to you. And it's so beautiful. I hope you find a way to keep it. From my research, very few cars have a coloured interior and the PCM unit. I am sure you will find a home for it if you are unable to keep those keys in your pocket.

My sincere thanks. If it all works out (I've only waited 10 years to get a P car of my own!), I'll look forward to meeting you at the next driving day.

Best,

PK

Before I bought my Cayman S, i flew up to Cairns to buy a 987 Boxster S.

It was described as being 1 owner and near perfect condition, which you would expect for only 40,000kms...

They met me at the airport, and I had bank cheque in hand.

Turns out every panel on the car had been painted at some time or another (except one). So visible to the naked eye, I don't know what drugs these guys were on.

All wheels had gutter rash.

Tyres were cheapy chinese.

I got a flight home and didn't bother with it.

Have to admit, the price was extremely low, but I'm glad I walked away and ended up with the Cayman.

That's how I know a good quality, Boxster S, under $50K, is a good buy.

Since then, I have bought myself a paint guage  to help verify the thickness of paint repairs etc...

Post up a pick or two of the car you are buying. Share and share alike!

sounds like congratulations are in order.

a 987 s under $50k is a good buy.

re the ims - if there is a full dealer warranty on it, I would not see any need to rush out and do it straight away (personal view only). 

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All,

Just an update.  Decided to suck up the risks and doubt and fear and go for it!!

The black boxster from my colleague fell through, but I managed to find an early 2005 987 Arctic Silver Boxster S Manual with 71+k kms for under $45k. Always serviced through Porsche. Perfect books. Perfect Porsche History.

Chuffed to bits.

Now comes the spend on servicing, looking through the oil filter, praying for no metal / plastic flakes and keeping fingers crossed.....

See you at an SMT near you.

Cheers,

PK

a 987 S, manual, with 75km, for under 50, is a steal.

I haven't been looking for long but aren't there a few 987 S manuals under 75K km with an asking price of under $50K.

I can see 3 on carsales ...  or am I missing something?

Archived