~2009 Cayman 2.9litre or 2005 997.1 Carrera-2 base models?

Greetings everyone

who here has driven both the Cayman (2.9 litre base) 2009-2011 models and also driven the 997 Gen 1 Carrera-2 non-turbo base ~2005-2006 models ?

I have driven a Carrera-2 997.1 tiptronic last week but not yet found a Cayman 2.9 litre to test in 2009+ vintage.

These cars seen to have similar used car prices as far as I can see and I am trying to decide which to buy.

Wondering if anyone could compare how they drive?

Which one is easier to drive in daily suburban traffic? Cayman?

Ergonomics?

Handling?

Performance?

Practicality?

Reliability?

Cost of Ownership?

Assume both are either manuals with 3-pedals or both are automatics (tipronic and PDK), to keep things apples to apples.

On paper the non-turbo base Carrera 997.1 tiptronic is not much (or at all?) faster than a Cayman PDK 2.9 litre (~5.5-5.8 sec to 100kmh, ~13 sec quarter mile?). The top speed is also comfortably near 250kmh. 

Please share your comparison experiences.

Thanks

it is a matter of "i don't know what i don't know".

initially i did not plan to look at Cayman/Boxter, only a 911 model 997 automatic rear-drive hardtop coupe.

so i could not have predicted my questions.

likewise, i did not know about all those IMS engine issues with 911 996/997 and Boxter/Cayman M96/M97 when i started to post.

the more i learn about Porsche the more my questions change.

therefore my questions are all over the forums, i apologize.

I think you might've misinterpreted what i meant. No need to apologise, I'm just saying its be easier for you (and if someone ever repeats this process in future) to have all this info in one place

Greetings everyone

who here has driven both the Cayman (2.9 litre base) 2009-2011 models and also driven the 997 Gen 1 Carrera-2 non-turbo base ~2005-2006 models ?

I have driven a Carrera-2 997.1 tiptronic last week but not yet found a Cayman 2.9 litre to test in 2009+ vintage.

These cars seen to have similar used car prices as far as I can see and I am trying to decide which to buy.

Wondering if anyone could compare how they drive?

Which one is easier to drive in daily suburban traffic? Cayman?

Ergonomics?

Handling?

Performance?

Practicality?

Reliability?

Cost of Ownership?

Assume both are either manuals with 3-pedals or both are automatics (tipronic and PDK), to keep things apples to apples.

On paper the non-turbo base Carrera 997.1 tiptronic is not much (or at all?) faster than a Cayman PDK 2.9 litre (~5.5-5.8 sec to 100kmh, ~13 sec quarter mile?). The top speed is also comfortably near 250kmh. 

Please share your comparison experiences.

Thanks

Acid,

You really need to drive the various cars to become familiar with the various cars. Dealers will not give you grief for driving the various cars so just get out there and drive all 3. You will be surprised how differently all 3 of them are. My biggest surprise was the difference between the boxster and cayman. 

The cost of running these things will not be that different so put that aside 

Performance - all 3 will be different in their own way. One thing to consider you are not buying a dragster when you buy a porsche its a drivers car. It will out handle all c class and 3 series cars you have had to date (except for maybe the M3 / C63 range - even then they will be different)

Practicality - well this really depends on what you intend to use the car for ? When I bought my 993 my requirement was to carry computer hardware around. If I could fit 3 pcs in the trunk then I was good to go............ You make this work if you want the car enough..........

Reliability - all cars have issues the IMS is most likely the biggest issue confronting the 986/987.1/996/997.1 range - others with more knowledge should be able to answer this for you with personal experience - my 996 was totally perfect never an issue.

Cost of ownership - hard for me to answer this one as my costs were minimal as I run two cars and it isnt my daily driver. Insurance $2.6K, service $650 one rear tyre $685 in my first year of the 991. In the 8 years of owning 911s I never replaced brake pads / rotors / all 4 tyres so my running costs were low. I did take out the extended warranty on the 996 once I knew about the RMS issue at the time but back then the $2K also included that years service. You drive it you will pay for the regular items any car will need replacing brakes / tyres / etc but they will not break the bank, especially on a car with warranty.

Just go out there and drive the cars you might not like them so get emotionally attached to the cars first then worry about the rest ;)

+1

Enough with the IMS 'issue' which is over-rated and might never happen.  Buy the car which most appeals to you visually, performance and handling wise and you can only judge that if you drive it yourself.  Everyone has explicitly different individual tastes so only you can make up your mind - no-one can do that for you.  If you want the latest gadgets then go with the Cayman.

I've driven both but my personal taste preferences a 911 so if the IMS is such a burning issue then what I chose to do is factor in the replacement bearing, discussed in the other threads, as nothing more than a maintenance issue.

This thread is hilarious....reminds me of my path to Porsche ownership.

In 2011 I had a business trip to a conference held at St. Andrews Golf Club in Perthshire (yes, Scotland). Upon arrival at Edinburgh airport my VW Golf that I booked at Europcar was upgraded to a 987 Boxster PDK.

My drive to and from the conference was the spark that got me on the path to Porsche ownership and given you are considering a 997.1 the comparison between the two are quite vivid for me.

I would have to say that in isolation the Boxster is a very tempting proposition. Punchy motor, PDK is great (except for those unfathomable shift switches on the steering wheel), balance....I had a big smile on face when I drove it and given it was a rental....I drove it very hard.

However, when I returned home and decided to get a Porsche....after driving a couple of 997s I was utterly hooked by the totally visceral, muscular and brawny experience of the 911. I never really appreciated the lineage of the car until then and totally understand now why so many 911 owners either keep their cars or simply buy another one.

Like I said, in isolation the 987 was great and I really liked it........but I LOVE my 997.

You started looking at 911's now looking at Caymans, is that from a cost perspective? Or because you perceive that the later cars will give you less trouble? They're a different dynamic for sure, easier to drive fast.

You seem to have a lot of emphasis on reliability/durability/cost?

I think it has been mentioned to you in one thread before, to get away from all the IMS stuff in older vintages the GT3/2 & Turbo carry over the old air-cooled mezger motor, far superior unit in every aspect. No IMS stuff to worry about.

You should consider 996 turbo and/or gt3 with your budget. 

If it were me with your budget 996 Turbo is the car to buy right now..  powerful/comfortable/practical and they come in tiptronic, to say they haul ass is probably an understatement.. (yes even the auto)

just one example: 

cp5510259045678865475.jpg?height=700&asp

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=SSE-AD-2128856&Cr=6

GT cars are only 2 seat, RWD and do not come in automatic.

I hope that narrows down some parameters for you? :lol: 

..after driving a couple of 997s I was utterly hooked by the totally visceral, muscular and brawny experience of the 911. 

I agree with Hounddub.

I've driven the older cayman (no S) and also the very new 2014 cayman pdk. and I prefer my 997.

The lack of poke off the line just wasn't satisfying.

You need to test drive every car you can get your hands on. just haunt PCM and try cars.

seriously, who needs top speed in Australia? unless you track it, or live up north?

I am in Victoria... speed camera capital of the world so my views are effected by the number of cameras I pass....

Archived