1972 T driver quality.

The car has been discussed on here before, looks ok in the pictures (not that they show much) but from what little can be seen there appears to be a lot of non original parts. Not sure if the seller is aware of that though or just playing dumb?

yeah, this is the car at www.buymyporsche.com

I have a friend in North Carolina, and he went and looked at the car for me.

Apparently there are lots of things that are not quite right. 

The vendor is a genuine fellow, but is not a porsche "anorak"... the paint is OK in most places but heavy and thick in the door jams.

It has had rust. 

One of the doors has been replaced and it appears the right front fender has also been replaced. My friend took a couple of his own photos...

SAM_0232a_zpsdc15361a.jpg

SAM_0233a_zps65478a53.jpg

The car drives well but he suggested that perhaps there were not that many cars in the competition where it won awards.

NOW - lets say you paid $45usd for it....

What would it cost all up approx by the time it landed here in Aus?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone

Been lurking in the background for few months now but haven't posted much. My Porsche ownership so far has been 356s (many) and 2 912s. Haven't owned a 911 yet

I came across this one which is in the States, its a 911T. Comes with original engine, gearbox, history and manuals. As you can see, has rust in the left sill and doors have bubbles. Rear bottoms of front guards will need replacing. Originally burgundy, was changed to Red few years back with a bad quality respray. Paint is below average so will obviously need redoing. Suspension pan, jacking points and floors are solid. Interior is original and in great condition. Running strong

So basically the few rust holes and paint. What do you think its worth? Seller is asking low US$30s

Still an additional $10k or so in ground transportation in the US then shipping, customs, etc

Cheers

Rafik

post-1675-0-53509000-1399333072_thumb.jp

post-1675-0-75970100-1399333073_thumb.jp

post-1675-0-17964900-1399333076_thumb.jp

I tend to work backwards - what would this car in that condition be worth on the market if it was for sale here in Aus? If the car was in Aus as is 40k would be up there given the amount of attention the car needs IMO. 

This sold here last week: 

(scroll down, 911T targa)

Although this is a targa and not a coupe, this looked to be pretty good buying for 40k (note: original RHD UK car) and could possibly be a really nice car for minimal additional cost (minimal in 911 terms!  ;) ) What you have would be an original LHD US car and again would fall back onto condition in order to attain what someone is prepared to pay for it. 

I feel based on the info/photos that low 30's is probably on the high side - not saying its not worth it though. 

I think there is longhood fever going on at the moment...

I'd have thought that a UK car would be scary given the road salting.. esp for a 40 year old car with no galv.. however I had not seen the car.

Also, there "was" a nice red 1970T ono carsales for $56K that was just removed today...

This rush reminds me of the stock market in early 2009.... 

sold911cars_zpsadbbc0ef.png

I agree with Mike (Cayman S) on the UK cars condition, I am yet to see a British car in a decent condition rust wise. That's why they are buying early Porsches, VWs, etc from us here

But Hugh, I am with you too about the low $30s being on the high side, I reckon if the car is $5 to $10k less, it would be worth buying. But you never know, their prices could keep going up so what's an additional $5k?

I don't see prices of early 911s or 912s going down anytime soon, it is the natural progressing of model desirability after the 356. Few years ago, everyone wanted a 356, then the GFC hit, prices went down a little, now on the up again and back to pre GFC levels

I would say 901s are is in the middle of the price increase cycle with few more years left on the increase

Archived