Brake Light Switches

Stew F

I received a letter from the local constabulary today informing me that a member of the public reported that I have no brake lights on my 82 SC.  I've read a lot of stuff on the web today about the switches being the potential culprit. 

Does anyone know of a source for an aftermarket one (2)?  I haven't phoned my local Porsche Centre, but I suspect they will be a bit pricey.  I saw some on Ebay but they are in the US of A. Their part number matches the genuine Porsche number, except for a H at the end instead of a G. $7.43 each + $13.85 for postage.

Thanks.

Don't think new ones will necessarily work better.

Go out at night at see how much foot pressure is required to activate the lights. Even if you have well-bled brakes , there is much more travel than a modern car.

If you can't get any light there may be a problem.

Otherwise a microswitch (~$) attached to the master cylinder will give you "modernised" sensitivity.

Thread on pelican about this , I did it ,  not too hard.

...after wasting time and money replacing the pressure switches,  which I suspect were fine in the first place, just an old design.

We just went out and checked them.  Definitely no lights - at all.  I'm sure I saw them light up the other night when I was driving it though.

Agree, it's an old system.  Inherently problematic by design. Do you have the Pelican link?

I'll check the fuse, but the tail lights work, and they're all off the same fuse according to the wiring diagram.  I presume I can check the switches by depressing the pedal and reading the output with a multimeter or test light.  Is there 1 switch for each side? 

Tazzieman, I didn't see that.  Didn't have my glasses on.  I will try to have a look tomorrow.  Stay tuned.

Russ, I think, going by the date, time & location, it may have been a semi driver.  When I took off from the lights I looked in my mirror and saw a guy walking back to his truck which was behind me.  If it was him he made an effort, but wasn't quick enough, so I'll cut him some slack.  Fortunately I didn't get an infringement notice or anything. 

Why are there 2 switches? 

Porsche advanced safety feature of the day , 2 circuits so if one fails you can still pull up.

Interesting.

There are two switches one for the front and one for the rear and I can see one switch failing or one hydraulic circuit but I can't reason why there would be no stop lights. At least one of the switches should be operational and that would send the signal to the stop lights surely.

The fault must be somewhere else in the system.by my reckoning.

Keep looking. 

It's nothing stupid like the wires have fallen off the stop light terminals.

Can only assume you have pulled out the cover board in the boot and had a physical look

I'm not sure who invented/sold the first car with the dual hydraulic system (which was mandated by US legislation). But an early Porsche from 1898 did sport a dual system of sorts! 

Consider its advanced dual-circuit brake system. In addition to mechanical brakes acting on the rear wheel, the car also had electric brakes that could stop the car using the motor.

Interesting.

There are two switches one for the front and one for the rear and I can see one switch failing or one hydraulic circuit but I can't reason why there would be no stop lights. At least one of the switches should be operational and that would send the signal to the stop lights surely.

The fault must be somewhere else in the system.by my reckoning.

Keep looking. 

It's nothing stupid like the wires have fallen off the stop light terminals.

Can only assume you have pulled out the cover board in the boot and had a physical look

I haven't had a chance to check anything yet.  Plus the weather's a bit crappy for being outside.  So I decided to stay inand get some money making work done.

I agree.  Unlikely that both switches should fail together, unless one was already crook. I said in my first post that I thought the tail lights and brake lights were off the same fuse, but after a closer look (with my glasses on) it's only the brakes on fuse #5.  Shall start there. 

Finally had a chance to check z lights.  Fuse OK.  So if I jump the terminals on one of the switches and press the brake pedal I should have lights, yes? 

post-1655-0-59270700-1399778735_thumb.jp

One of the switches probably clagged out a while ago. Speak to James at Autohaus Hamiltons. I got two delivered to Melbourne cheaper than Pelican. Make sure you order the correct ones. Some were two prong, some were three prong.

If you jump the terminals you should have brake lights without using the brake itself.

What you need to do is hook a multimeter set to ohms or audible and see or hear if the circuit closes when the pedal is depressed

After a bit of testing, followed by a few beers and a nice mother's day lunch, it turns out it was those switches. As someone said, one probably packed up long ago. So I phoned Porsche Centre Adelaide. $71 each. Same part off the web from a VW place (same part number as genuine part) $8 plus postage. Just got to order them now.

Thanks all for your help.

So I phoned Porsche Centre Adelaide. $71 each. Same part off the web from a VW place (same part number as genuine part) $8 plus postage. Just got to order them now.

Thanks all for your help.

And they wonder why think we are being gouged.

Archived