Electrolysis - no its not hair removal

michel

Doing some long overdue DIY on my car including finally reinstalling/upgrading the suspension, brakes and steering on my T (still :(  can't find any SC adjustable spring plates for reasonable money!!!)

so flapper boxes. was going to bead blast though at the good suggestion of a mate am trying this

note polarity is important lads...

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

Guest michel

precisely Harvs; beers and a late night shed stint is a recipe...while your googling you'll come across some guys in the US who make temp tanks and push rusted tractors in, using a large arc welder as the power source :)

after I have finished the electrolysis bath, ill neutralise it, bake it in the oven (while my lovely is out) and then repaint. If there is some persistent rust ill put it through the bead blaster. Should be almost good enough for another 40 years or so

another way to do it, is drop your part in molasses., i kid you not

Guest michel

Nice! What chemical? & how many volts & Amps?

washing soda and water, 12 volt battery charger, the amps varied -  nothing flash - you could try using other bigger power sources. Battery charges are good, as they have a cut out  in case of a short or other calamity

should add you can wire in parallel a 12 volt battery helps with the process, some say 2 amps is good enough, I guess size of tank size of part may effect both.

so had a few issues with the power supply. it did work particularly on the small parts springs etc

and I had great success on some chisels and planes.

003.jpg

though there was stil a bit of rust in the pitted areas and also alot of paint. While electrolysis, will lift or soften paint; as I am repainting I did this with the beadblaster  in readiness for a mate to powdercoat

013.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was doing the same thing to the exhaust pipes. Except I was trying to take it a step furtherand electropolish the stainless steel.

Not a geart picture but you can get the idea. A 10 year old 996 exhuast back to a shiny state from a dark brown one.

I was doing the same thing to the exhaust pipes. Except I was trying to take it a step furtherand electropolish the stainless steel.

Not a geart picture but you can get the idea. A 10 year old 996 exhuast back to a shiny state from a dark brown one.

post-1760-0-32416400-1401352215_thumb.jp

Electropolishing ss is nasty stuff. Useing sulfuric acid and 200amps.

I used a DC welding machine as a current source.

My advice is to pay electropolishing place and do not try it at home. I think it may have costed me less.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived