After a couple weeks of searching; I think I've found my new Porsche Boxster 986 for my first "real car" that I didn't buy with the change floating around my couch cushions. Being somewhat 'uneducated' with both porsches and cars; I'm after some simple advice without the standard 'If you're after that you shouldn't have bought a Porsche' comments.

The first two big things to do on my list are firstly its wheels, they're the completely stock standard ones that came with it in 1997, and boy do they look their age. The only thing on the car that has aged, where should I look for inexpensive (sub $1,000) sets of nicer wheels/rims?

And secondly I really want to find a way to give the car some sort of tone, instead of the silence it has unless you're flooring it. Exhaust tips/mods on PURELY just making her sound better, without harming her.

Any any other advice; little inexpensive things I should purchase; any after-market places for Porsche?

wheels and tyre packages get expensive. budget a few thousand for that. You don't want to skimp on tyres as you'll loose the feel of the car. 

your PCD is 5x130. most porsche wheels will fit. as most have similar offsets. 

Niko has a nice exhaust, i'm sure he'll chime in and tell you where he got it

BTW Welcome :) hope to see you around 

Welcome!

My advice from someone who has learned the hard way.

Cheap wheels look cheap. 

Porsche OEM wheels are also some of the best in the business - so perhaps look to some different modern Porsche wheels instead of after-market.  Don't forget about un-sprung weight as well.  Heavy (cheap!) wheels will negatively impact the car's handling, acceleration and stopping.

I also second Pauly on tires.  Could be one of the most important parts of the car.  Pop for some N-spec Michelins or similar (N spec are tyres produced to Porsche specs).

Keep looking in the couch until you can afford get what you really want - you won't regret it.

O.Z. wheels are popular for caymans and boxsters, people do a group buy every now and then, well priced.

exhaust and lightweight flywheel are what i'd suggest for the rest, the exhaust you can either fork out for a system from fabspeed or whoever, or simply start with a different muffler and see how you go

Keep an eye on eBay for wheels, there have been a few on there in the last year that come off Boxsters and Caymans. Note that 911 wheels WILL NOT fit your Boxster as the offset is different. Offset measures the distance of the rear mounting surface of the wheel (the back part where the nuts go) from the centre of the wheel. Exhaust is expensive for a Boxster. Good luck with the car and keep us informed of what you find re wheels and exhaust.

Depends on whether you like the stock wheels but feel they are merely looking tired or whether you prefer to completely change the wheels for something more modern looking.

If your concern is the former then you could get you existing wheels refinished. There are a few wheel refinishers around. I re-rolled the rims on my E46 beamer a few months back at Neway Wheel Repairs ( was impressed with some of the work they had on the go. Refinishing a set might be in the order of about $500-$600?

The first two big things to do on my list are firstly its wheels, they're the completely stock standard ones that came with it in 1997, and boy do they look their age. The only thing on the car that has aged, where should I look for inexpensive (sub $1,000) sets of nicer wheels/rims?

Hi Mark,

Don't know about the wheels but have a click here and talk to the guys about a fister exhaust. 

http://fdmotorsports.net

Niko will be here any second i'm sure to add his $0.02 worth.  B)

I don't know if it will give you any extra squirt in real terms but Niko's sounds great.  

That alone would make me press the pedal just a little bit harder - so i guess by default it does improve the performance...

At this point they don't make one for the 987 but it would be my first choice on a 986..

Congrats on the pending purchase....

IMS is real. However, after much research and changing the baring my self, I can not help feeling that the issue is exaggerated by LN engineering who is cashing in on it.

Just a thought.

Archived