Freight forwarding from USA or United Kingdom?

Hi there,

After some information re freight forwarding. Has anyone used such a service or can they recommend a company to use? Am wanting to purchase items on ebay from sellers overseas that don't ship to "OZ" but have been advised to use a freight forwarding company. Please let me know your experiences or what is the best way to get around this. Both Usa and England are the countries I wish to purchase from. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Corki944

How big are we talking?  Are we talking a brake disc, an engine or an entire vehicle?

You can use regular freight companies like Fedex and DHL for some pretty big items.  I had a set of 4 wheels shipped out from the USA and IIRC it came via regular Fedex/TNT here.

If you don't get any answers on freight forwarders (and that is really what you need) then I would start in your Home port (i.e, Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney etc) and ring some Freight Forwarders here, they can probably steer you in the right direction as they will have someone they work with on the other end.

I shipped a vehicle from the UK with a freight company over there - but the vehicle had to be delivered to the docks in London.  It all starts to add up pretty quickly, and every single person you talk to wants their cut.  All I can remember now is talking to a maze of people and cutting a lot of cheques.

Be warned there is a whole other level of jargon and complexity in that industry - when you walk in off the street it's hard to make head or tail of it without feeling like you're a patsy getting ripped off.

I have been looking at buying some brake rotors for my 964 and the prices here range from just over $600 to nearly $1000. I can buy the same from the US for just over $150 for the same basic rotors. When I add in the freight it pushes it up around $500. This is using USPS and if I used FedEx or DHL the price goes up but the delivery is quicker. 

If I bring them in by surface (sea) freight I have pay for a cubic meter of space and the freight is still around $500. These are maintenance items so there is no real urgency on delivery. 

I would be very interested if you are able to find a more economic way to freight, for me, from the USA.

http://www.myus.com/

No personal experience, however work colleagues have used them

I have used them multiple times in the past to get items purchased and delivered when the seller won't ship direct.  It can be pricey compared with direct shipping, but they do work.  Not sure if there is a maximum size, but you could definitely use them for things like brake rotors.

http://www.myus.com/

No personal experience, however work colleagues have used them

I just their shipping calculator and on estimated weights and dimensions for brake rotors MyUS the dearest for shipping-see below

thanks for the suggestion

DHL Express  icon-help.gif   1 - 4 business days$745.96FedEx Priority  icon-help.gif   1 - 4 business days$852.77FedEx Economy  icon-help.gif   5 - 10 business days$635.77MyUS Trusted Carrier Network  icon-help.gif   4 - 8 business days$869.82

I just their shipping calculator and on estimated weights and dimensions for brake rotors MyUS the dearest for shipping-see below

DHL Express  icon-help.gif   1 - 4 business days$745.96FedEx Priority  icon-help.gif   1 - 4 business days$852.77FedEx Economy  icon-help.gif   5 - 10 business days$635.77MyUS Trusted Carrier Network  icon-help.gif   4 - 8 business days$869.82

bit expencive!!! i got a whole head for my 944 shipped from the states for $300

Thanks guys,

Still looking around to see whats best. Am looking at things like disc rotors x 4, combination switch, exhaust stuff and other various bits. Nothing to big yet but would like to know who to use in case that right set of rims or engine comes up! Never know what you can find.

That was a good price on freight for the head Pauly, if you don't mind could I ask who that was with?

Will let you know if I can find anything suitable......

Cheers.

Thanks guys,

Still looking around to see whats best. Am looking at things like disc rotors x 4, combination switch, exhaust stuff and other various bits. Nothing to big yet but would like to know who to use in case that right set of rims or engine comes up! Never know what you can find.

That was a good price on freight for the head Pauly, if you don't mind could I ask who that was with?

Will let you know if I can find anything suitable......

Cheers.

That was UPS. 

Send me a pm of what you're after. I've bought a lot of stuff from the states for my car, happy to help

Wow, that is a lot.  Maybe rotors weigh more than I remember?  I had a whole double-pram (don't ask!) shipped out for less than half that cost.  You didn't mess up a pounds/kilos calculation did you?

I have been looking at buying some brake rotors for my 964 and the prices here range from just over $600 to nearly $1000. I can buy the same from the US for just over $150 for the same basic rotors. When I add in the freight it pushes it up around $500. This is using USPS and if I used FedEx or DHL the price goes up but the delivery is quicker. 

If I bring them in by surface (sea) freight I have pay for a cubic meter of space and the freight is still around $500. These are maintenance items so there is no real urgency on delivery. 

I would be very interested if you are able to find a more economic way to freight, for me, from the USA.

do you have bigger than stock brakes? 

I re-read your post lol, FCP Euro has Meyle rear solid rotors for $36 each... :o

http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/porsche-disc-brake-rotor-911-968-944-40543003500

the freight is a bit of a killer but cheap enough (and it might be worth sending them mail to see what they can do)

Wow, that is a lot.  Maybe rotors weigh more than I remember?  I had a whole double-pram (don't ask!) shipped out for less than half that cost.  You didn't mess up a pounds/kilos calculation did you?

Front and back rotors come to a total weight of around 67.5lbs or 30.6 kg- varies a bit depending on the particular rotors.

I did use their freight calculator again and corrected the sizes I used previously and it has reduced a fair bit-see below

Ship ViaEstimated

DeliveryShip CostDHL Express  icon-help.gif   1 - 4 business days$358.46FedEx Priority  icon-help.gif   1 - 4 business days$414.24FedEx Economy  icon-help.gif   5 - 10 business days$330.58MyUS Trusted Carrier Network  icon-help.gif   4 - 8 business days$422.52

Ideally for me I would like to use surface freight but then you need a fair volume to make it worthwhile but weight becomes much less a factor.

I would be interested to know how much carbon fibre rotors cost? Not that they would be in my price range.

do you have bigger than stock brakes? 

I re-read your post lol, FCP Euro has Meyle rear solid rotors for $36 each... :o

http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/porsche-disc-brake-rotor-911-968-944-40543003500

the freight is a bit of a killer but cheap enough (and it might be worth sending them mail to see what they can do)

Brakes are standard C2-nothing special and unless I started doing track time perfectly adequate. FCP Euro are similar to the Rockauto site 

We can get 1 cubic meter of space via sea freight for around $550 . It lands in Brisbane and then would need to be distributed from there.

If a couple of people wanted disc brake rotors it would certainly make it worthwhile if there was no hurry. 

Well I bit the bullet and ordered new brake rotors.

I did a lot of research and the best price + freight came from a parts supplier in the US called NewParts.com. http://www.new-part.com/ 

I checked the Australian suppliers (they were over $600+freight for a generic brake rotor) and the various US suppliers. The problem with other US suppliers was the freight component that worked out to be around the $350 mark that made prices prices very similar for the same types of rotors as here in Australia.

I ended up buying Zimmerman vented and cross drilled front rotors and Sebro vented rear rotors for AUD$572 including a freight cost of AUD $49.69.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/151381645774?item=151381645774&viewitem=&vxp=mtr Hopefully I have made a good choice. I originally were going for the basic vented rotors but these offered the best value.

I will keep you updated on the install when they arrive.

• 1 month later...

Well I bit the bullet and ordered new brake rotors.

I did a lot of research and the best price + freight came from a parts supplier in the US called NewParts.com. http://www.new-part.com/ 

I checked the Australian suppliers (they were over $600+freight for a generic brake rotor) and the various US suppliers. The problem with other US suppliers was the freight component that worked out to be around the $350 mark that made prices prices very similar for the same types of rotors as here in Australia.

I ended up buying Zimmerman vented and cross drilled front rotors and Sebro vented rear rotors for AUD$572 including a freight cost of AUD $49.69.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/151381645774?item=151381645774&viewitem=&vxp=mtr Hopefully I have made a good choice. I originally were going for the basic vented rotors but these offered the best value.

I will keep you updated on the install when they arrive.

The brake rotors arrived and are installed. In total it cost around AUD$48 freight and arrived in under 2 weeks. 

The install was not a problem and the old brake rotors were below minimum  wear point.

Overall I am very happy with the price and the product.

I shipped a vintage motorcycle ou of the states this year.

I used a company called Ameroz.

20 days direct LA - VIC.

The nicest people I've ever dealt with.

Price is based on cubic metre space - can ship anything.

Archived