Tyres for 9" Fuchs - What do the 930 guys do?

Kris

I have 16 x 9" wide Fuchs on my SC and am having a hard time tracking down 245/45R16 tyres to fit.

All I can find is a Toyo which has a directional tread..

Has anyone bought this size lately?  I'm really hoping I don't have to get new rims!

Great thanks, I didn't bother looking on there because I thought the freight would blow it out of the water.

Theres no hidden legal issues with tyres from overseas on the road?

Great thanks, I didn't bother looking on there because I thought the freight would blow it out of the water.

Theres no hidden legal issues with tyres from overseas on the road?

No issues as far as I know, they are the same tyre as you would get locally. Even with freight I saved about $400 (for a set of 4) off the cheapest price I got in Oz.

Sorry to go off topic. How well do the 16x9's fit under your SC? Any rubbing, rolled lip?

The 9's are on there at the moment with 225/50/16 tyres which were put on by the previous owner.  There aren't any rubbing issues or a rolled lip.

But - I went to a tyre shop the other day and was told that this size can only go to an 8" rim.  With the correct 245 size I've been thinking about clearance etc..

930 offset means you lose 16mm inner clearance

custom offset and 9.5"s are no issue..

Interesting... It says on the rim 9J x 16 ET15.

What do you mean by custom offset?

But - I went to a tyre shop the other day and was told that this size can only go to an 8" rim.

Kris, If you search tyre manufacturers they usually specify what rim range are specific to the tyres size.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done a bit of hunting around.

Tire rack has them but doesn't have stock of the same tread pattern in the front. Shipping for 4 tires was $302 which seemed pretty reasonable.

Other places also stock the size but won't ship to Australia. I checked out freight forwarding and the shipping was very expensive.

I was getting a wheel alignment done on my other car yesterday, and the guy could only source a discontinued nexen in Tasmania for about 300 a tyre but again the fronts are not available in the same pattern.

The other option I can think of (other than buying new rims) is having them narrowed to an 8". Apparently the wheel doctor in yatala does this. I'm not entirely comfortable with ruining them but if you can't get a tyre it's useless. Has anyone had experience with this or know of other international suppliers?

I run the Toyo TR1 on the rear. It's the only tyre available in Aus that size. Toyo don't make the TR1 for the 7" front which sucks so I'm running Toyo Proxes 4. The Bridgestone mentioned above is the only other 245 tyre but can only be bought OS. In the end we're going to be forced onto R Spec tyres if we want to keep the car original.

could be that you'd be better off getting wheels in 17" than narrowing them- the euromeister copies are fine for street use.

narrowing fuchs is a bit of a large job, not 100% on the legality?

I had a chat to the guy and he said they slice out from the centre and reweld. I asked about legality but couldn't get a firm answer which has me concerned. I'll have a look into these euromeisters.

I had a chat to the guy and he said they slice out from the centre and reweld. I asked about legality but couldn't get a firm answer which has me concerned. I'll have a look into these euromeisters.

yeah i've never gotten a straight answer on it either- nobody seems to know haha.

more common seems to be (i.e. when widening) people cut out the face and drill it to take different barrels, turning it into a 3 piece wheel- much more cut and dried.

ask your insurer what their opinion is of a car running on 'modified' wheels ...

Archived