SE QLD Tech Day-Sunday Sept 14?

twood

Many of you will see the grief given to me just because I had a small oil leak on today's drive and I missed one turning on the way back from Brisbane (Hah-that's the last time they will ask me to lead).

So how do I make up for my sins?

What about a Tech Day at my place at Coorparoo? For those that don't know I have a 2 post hoist at home and  tools to do most jobs on Porsches' and lesser brands of cars.

• I have new brake rotors arriving from the US probably in the next week or so. I want to fit these and change brake pads and do a brake bleed using my newly purchased "Motive Products Power Bleeder". http://motiveproducts.3dcartstores.com/  
  • Russ has mentioned he wants to do an oil change on his 911 Targa.

Suggested day is Sunday, September 14. The reason I suggest that day is it is the week after the Coffee and Cars and Sundays are generally more free for most people than Saturdays?

If anyone is interested in attending and/or putting their car on the hoist and what job they want to do, please let me know. Please note all care taken but no responsibility and there is vastly more I don't know about Porsches and cars then what I do know.

The date is very changeable. Let me know your suggestions.

Anyone feel like chasing oil leaks if I don't have them sorted by then?

Careful-I think that is how Caledonian started and the next thing the engine and gearbox was on the floor.

We can have a look for oil leaks -if we cannot find yours I have a couple I will happily give you.

Count me in, hopfully I won't need anything done to my car for a while :ph34r:

Bet we can find something that you could have done

I could use an oil change and maybe even gearbox too. 

We can do that and if Russ can bring his pressure bottle we can do the gearbox oil at the same time

Careful-I think that is how Caledonian started and the next thing the engine and gearbox was on the floor.

We can have a look for oil leaks -if we cannot find yours I have a couple I will happily give you.

I think I've got enough to go round! Even if I'm not up and running, I'd love to come and meet the gang and get some schooling on what's what.

I think I've got enough to go round! Even if I'm not up and running, I'd love to come and meet the gang and get some schooling on what's what.

Sorry, that is the other Tech Day.

This is the one where everyone knows nothing and hoping to learn something from someone that knows something

• 2 weeks later...

DSCN2084_zps9e9fd6b4.jpg

We have planned a Tech Day at my garage for next Sunday-September 14.

The address is "edited" PM me for address and contact number (Harvs11 suggested not putting in the address and phone number-as he said" never know who is trolling the forums"-good suggestion)

I am suggesting a start time of 8.30am but we should be there for some hours so if you want to come later that is fine.

My job for the day is to change all 4 brake rotors and pads and bleed the hydraulic system.

After speaking to Russ yesterday he is thinking that he may do an engine drop in the next few months so there is the chance that he will not want to do an engine oil change at this time-he could, of course, always change his mind

In saying this, we should have some spare hoist time. If you have a job that would be easier to do when the car is up on a hoist.(e.g. engine oil/gearbox oil, engine drop etc) let me know so we can plan ahead.

If you want to come along to just watch a bunch of guys that have very little knowledge but lots of enthusiasm doing jobs that should be left to trained professionals (and offer advice) you are most welcome.

If possible (but not essential) let me know if you would like to attend. We will probably organise "smoko" at around 10.30am. Do I remember yesterday Caledonian saying something about bringing morning tea?

Ken, I will probably drop in...

At some stage, I want to change the transmission fluid in my car.. but I doubt all my bits will be there in time.

However, having a nosy under your car might just help me out.

I wonder what all your neighbours will say with all the porsches in the street?

Perfect ninja use Mike :) Anyone have any recommendations on trans fluid for a G50? Ken what are you using?

Just what my spec book recommends:

For the turbo it is 3.7 litres (3.6 litres for the C2) 75W 90

Mineral based oil API classification GL5

Synthetic oil  ML-L2105B

My last change was Castrol Universal 80W 90-bought at Supercheap Auto -they are about 200 meters away

Just had a thought.

I bought myself a Promotiv Power Bleeder from the States last month which I plan to use for the first time next weekend.

Anyone that wants to change their brakes/clutch (G50) fluid bring some brake fluid along and we can do that.

Just had a thought.

I bought myself a Promotiv Power Bleeder from the States last month which I plan to use for the first time next weekend.

Anyone that wants to change their brakes/clutch (G50) fluid bring some brake fluid along and we can do that.

Might take you up on that one Ken (time permitting) i'll bring some fluid and see how we go..

Perfect ninja use Mike :) Anyone have any recommendations on trans fluid for a G50? Ken what are you using?

Caledonian and I did some research on this a while back (him for his 915 me for my G50) This is basically what I got out of it-:

G50 works better with synthetic because of the Borg-Warner style synchromesh

make sure lube is GL-5 rated

Any synthetic 75W90 gear lube is sufficient unless it is specifically for LSD

I ended up using this

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products.php?id_categ=4&id_products=376

It does seem to shift better, but maybe it's the placebo effect.

Any way let the oil debate begin

Keen to come and learn! I've got to swap out my air horns for rego and need the front wheel off to make that easier. Also keen to get some eyes and opinions on my oil leaks! My parts won't be arriving for a while, but would be keen to add anything to my order than anyone else picks up on.

Archived