Engine Coolant

Digital Mouth

What car and what coolant does it take. 

In my 944 turbo, it's recommended the red stuff. I usually get nulon, But recently i had to put in the bursons brand and it seems to run hotter. 

Next weekend going to put the nulon back in. 

What is this coolant thing you speak of?  :rolleyes:

In my BMW I fill it with the correct BMW stuff.  You can get it aftermarket for a fraction cheaper than the dealer with the same brand (comes in the same bottle).  It is expensive - probably around the $30/litre - and the thing takes about 5L or more.  The coolant is blue in colour.

The way I look at it - correct coolant is cheap insurance and not worth skimping on, particularly when it comes to exotic alloys and plastic cooling components.  Wrong coolant can play even more destructive chaos than wrong oil.

What car and what coolant does it take. 

In my 944 turbo, it's recommended the red stuff. I usually get nulon, But recently i had to put in the bursons brand and it seems to run hotter. 

Next weekend going to put the nulon back in. 

It's a 1998 Porsche Boxster. I bought it 2nd hand so I have no idea what coolants in it at present.

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Cooling_Systems/#.VAXLHGSSx8M

basically you choose the colour of coolant porsche uses in the boxster and run that colour. 

The 944 always used red coolant, and i'll continue to use red. 

But before changing coolant, you should do a full flush to get the old coolant out before adding new. 

I just top it up with demineralised water. Beware though if you are experiencing a loss of coolant in the boxter to remove the boot lining around the coolant bottle and look for a leak. The plastic bottle deteriorates over time with little cracks. Replacement is the only safe option. Again pedrosgarage.com or pelicanparts technical articles will provide instructions.

it should be in your book how much it takes?

Have you spoken to Imparts Automotive about replacement coolant? They're Melbourne based and should have Lemforder stuff that's suitable in stock

I would suggest running the correct amount of coolant to water too

I just top it up with demineralised water. Beware though if you are experiencing a loss of coolant in the boxter to remove the boot lining around the coolant bottle and look for a leak. The plastic bottle deteriorates over time with little cracks. Replacement is the only safe option. Again pedrosgarage.com or pelicanparts technical articles will provide instructions.

As in clear bottled water?

as in de-mineralised water, without minerals in it that water normally has

i'd recommend keeping the level of coolant to water within specifications, otherwise bad things have been known to happen

If you ever blow out an oil hose.. That'll be expensive

But that never happens!!

I replaced mine as prevention is better than disaster. having said that , now watch everyone dive under their cars today and see how rock hard that exposed bottom line is!

btw always carry duct tape/silicone repair tape anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

How often do you have to top it up this way?

Sorry you've lost me

Really....

No iron in your car?

Clothes iron. Normally a household device but it appears that firstone carries one in his boxster so he can redo the seams down the front of his trousers before business meetings to make a lasting impression.

I think I've clarified the misunderstanding? :)

Archived