60K Service: Porsche Centre Melb or Indepenent? My 1st Time...

I'm about to have a Porsche serviced for the first time (987 Boxster, 60K) and wonder if I should pay the (assumed) extra amount and have it done at PCM??

The car has had a few owners, is overdue (historically if not by kms) for a service and has all previous services done at PCM. As I see it:

Pluses of PCM

- resale value

- consistent service record (see above)

- they may give me a service loaner (possibly dreaming)

Pluses of Weltmeister

- save $ (?)

- I live within walking distance

- they seem like nice guys

I'm sure experienced PFA members will be able to add to my limited knowledge in this area.  

After doing a bit more research, I see that both Porsche Centre Brighton and PC Melb advertise their service pricings on the web, and that PCB is somewhat cheaper.

Anyone else have an opinion/insight?  

One of the pluses you put for PCM was "resale value".

How long do you intend to keep the car.  If it is a long time, then the "resale value" plus is only really valid if you are you going to keep servicing at PCM for your ownership period.

IMHO - if you no longer have the car under factory/factory extended warranty then you have better value options available to you in Melbourne

My car had a full Porsche service history/stamped book when I bought it - I went to PCM and asked if they could tell me if the clutch had been changed and they said "not in the past 6 years and we destroy all records after 6 years" - so personally I doubt the true value outside maintaining a warranty contract

Melbourne is a Porsche town; great mechanics available in every direction.......

Dave

There's plenty of good independents around Melbourne to choose from. Down my way, Jocaro and RRR have a good reputation. Jocaro have courtesy cars, not sure about RRR. The way I see it, you can pay a reasonable hourly rate to have someone who has been working on Porsches for decades work on your car, or you can pay double for some apprentice to learn on your car at PCM or PCB. I think your PPI answers your question about Weltmeister.

Keep in mind money saved over ownership period is probably going to be greater than any resale value perceived or otherwise. I've done one service at a well known independent and it cost $700 less than the dealership quote. Doesn't take too many of those to start to add up.

The moment a dealership apprentice does something dumb with your car is the moment you wished you had found a good independent. It's also easier to develop a relationship with an independent, which can be very handy as well...

Independents can have apprentices too - they all have to start somewhere! :) Its the overseeing and managing them that I see as the potential issue.

Having said that I'd never bother taking an air cooled car to a dealership. As mentioned above, if I happen to buy a newer water cooled car in warranty etc. then maybe I would consider. Good independents are not cheap either but like anything you get what you pay for. 

Some independents offer fixed price servicing as well as long as it doesn't fall under certain categories (eg. import)

You shouldn't have any issue with an independent. If you have a warranty, just double check and make sure you are meeting the warranty terms on servicing which may cover where you take it as well as making sure you don't miss a service.

As for resale value, I honestly wouldn't pay more if a car was serviced by a Porsche center. I would however check who else it had been serviced by and make sure they seem reputable in Porsche circles as opposed to someone who happens to also do a handful of Porsches a year.

Best of all most independents are either Porsche enthusiasts or even better, owners themselves. As mentioned previously can give great advice and tips. It's really worth ringing around to a few and seeing who you click with, that they know their stuff and if they conduct any other activities which might interest you (eg. race day support, driver training, dyno days)

• 2 weeks later...

So, I ended up going with Porsche Centre Brighton. No $ surprises and they lent me a brand new Boxster for nine hours....and it was sweet:)

Actually there was one surprise: I'm now covered for Porsche Roadside Assist for 12 months at no charge.

Thanks for all the input guys.  

Archived