Raising the rear end

rafikdous

The previous owner lowered the car way too much, going over ramps in car pars is scrapping the belly so I have to raise it. It was even difficult to get the trolley jack under the car

2014-09-05141536_zpsde0f4e3e.jpg" alt="2014-09-05141536_zpsde0f4e3e.jpg">

Raised the front already and now the back. I have done this on many 356s before but not a 911. Same concept I assume. Any thing I need to watch for? What is the unsprung angle of the torsion bar?

What are those two bolts for? Can I use them to adjust the height without pulling the torsion bar off?

a>

Thanks

i think those nuts are for fine adjustment, make sure you don't fall into the trap of having them at either extreme of their adjustment when you set it up (or their wont be any adjustment as i learnt lol)

My car was sitting high at the rear so I decided to lower it to Euro ride height. The articles in the links above were very useful.  You might get lucky and hit the spot first time  but be prepared to spend some time adjusting, reassembling, checking then adjusting again until you get the desired level.  

I found this paragraph essential to understanding how far to turn the torsion bars

The inside end of the torsion bar has 40 splines, and the outer end of the torsion bar has 44 splines. This clever arrangement allows you to make incremental changes in the torsion bar height. Simply move the inner spline clockwise one position, and the radius arm counterclockwise, and you will lower the radium arm by about 5/6ths of a degree. Repeat this adjustment procedure, until you have achieved the desired ride height, and both sides are equal in height.

Using a digital protractor to check how far the trailing arm has rotated is also helpful.  I didn't have one handy so the iPhone multi-tool with protractor app came to the rescue.

Again, when you are done get it properly aligned by someone who understands Porsche suspension.

I am interested to hear how this goes as my 76 Targa is too low also. Bottom of the exhaust outlet is scraped back and it looks like crap. Front won't even go down our drive without scraping where the drive flattens out so got this on my project list as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Got all the bolts off but couldn't pull the torsion bar out

This trick might help you.

Go to the opposite side of the car and tap the end of the other torsion bar. 

It should push the other one out.

Maybe you may have to go from side to side for a few taps but you should be OK.

I used this method when I installed the adjustable arms in my 3.2.

Don't go crazy on the end of the spline though, use a round wooden dowel or similar so no damage occurs.

Brute force is not the way to go

Dave

Archived