My DIY Strut brace.

Pauly

I was going to post a DIY for a strut brace, but as soon as i started making it, I came to realise that not everyone can make this at home and not everyone has access to stuff like a plasma cutter, band saw, welder, lathe and a mill. 

It may be easier mocking it up for a 911 as you have nothing in your way. I have obstacles to get around so it made it quite annoying. 

My objectives:

It must work no matter how it looks

Bar must be removable. 

Well this isn't the prettiest thing i've ever made. But here it is.

10668399_10152444329822561_1151916106_n.

10694913_10152444329702561_591485032_n.j

10660728_10152444329987561_232728441_n.j

Nice one Pauly,

I have an S2 strut brace which will have to be modded to fit the 68,as you say tight fit.

Thanks Mark, Very tight, I think most of them are bent to fit in

Looks pretty nice to me Pauly!

I would love to see what you consider your best work.

Thanks mate, haha I made the catch can in the pictures (between the intercooler pipes) :)

What did people use before plasma cutters?  ;)

"How much does it weigh?"

"Is it billet alloy?"

Oxy?

Weight? 2-3 kgs.

It is mild steel. all of it. It's all i had laying around really. I do have aluminium laying around but to make the tube, i need to machine down a 80mm solid piece to 25mm. Waste of steel really. 

Nice!

Good job if you ask me. DIY for the win. 

If I could give a little constructive crit it would be to make V2.0 adjustable so you can pretension the brace between the towers. This will help reduce flex on initial bite. 

That was my original idea, But i didn't want to run around looking for those ball things with the adjusters on it (i forgot the name!) but i might split the middle and put one there. But then i need to find a reverse tap. 

At the moment it's really tight fit if you ask me. 

Nice work Pauly. I think on the Aussie delivered cars the AC lines can be an issue, as they are run next to the left tower.

They where sort of in the way. Where are the US ones?

I only just found out we have a clutch reservoir and the US don't

Archived