Buying Air Cooled Engine For Transplant : 964

Steve88

Does anyone know of any company in Australia that frequently sells Porsche Engines . I would like to know how much or how hard it is to get a 964 engine for a transplant into a 3.2 .

Looking at costs and numbers i feel it may be cheaper to buy a decent 3.6 and remove the 3.2 and leave it on the shelf rather then up the current engine to a 3.4

Any ideas on who to call ? Or how much this would cost ? 

Here's a price point on rebuilt ones in the USA to compare,

http://www.vertexauto.com/showitem.aspx?&id=294275&name=Porsche%20911%20C2%2F4%20Rebuilt%20Engine%203.6L%20-%20Years%2089-94

I have no idea on freight ($1000??)

Yeh this looks ok but at current standards e.g. AUD drop and TAX on return i worked it out at about $17k and I'm little fuzzy on what they mean by core , will they accept the 3.2 and do they just want the case . Good pick up though , I've saved them to my list

I'm little fuzzy on what they mean by core

That's the problem...you never quite know what you're getting. If you buy an exchange "rebuild" donk from the US and, heaven forbid, something goes wrong and returning it would be a major headache. Or buy a "decent" used donk and and risk it not being in as good a condition as you were led to believe. If it grenades you're up for the cost of a rebuild on top of the price you forked out for it in hte first place.

If it was me, I'd rebuild the 3.2 and have total piece of mind

I think you guys are right . I need to plan ahead slightly . I think ill start the rebuild kitty for " go fast bits" and rebuild before baby comes along and the fastest thing to spend money on will be a push chair lol 

thanks guys i really appreciate the advice . Im located in Melbourne so ill look for a shop to call and get prices . Any recommendations? I don't know many 

Hi Steve,

Just wanting to reiterate that its very speculative to price a project like this as it all comes down to the donor car and engine. You could easily spend 17k+ on a rebuild with a reputable mechanic - maybe more depending on the condition/state of the engine and what you want to do with it.

Buying an engine already rebuilt is ambiguous unless you know or someone can vouch for whoever re-built it. 

IMO, if you want a 'hotrod' on a budget buy something someone has already started. If your planning to build yourself from scratch be prepared to throw some $$$ at it. If you are able to provide a budget and some examples of what your looking at maybe more members maybe able to provide you with advice. 

Some local reputable mechanics that maybe of help;

http://motionautomotive.com.au/about.html

http://harrisonsrrr.com/

Best of luck! 

Archived