Seats for 964

DS911

I'm looking for a pair of seats for a 964.  The car has a half cage so no rear seats - this means that fixed back is an option.

I am considering Recaro Pole Position's in leather or the Recaro Speed as a recliner.  There is another thread that talks about importing seats from the UK and whether that's OK from a compliance point of view.

What I'd like to know is whether buying online from the UK is OK and who might be a good supplier.  I am also keen on opinions on seats.  I like the PP because it's close to the RS seat.

There is a supplier of PP's in Qld but their stock is arriving in December and the cost for the leather option with sliders, etc is close to $1800 each.  Cost for Speed's locally is about the same I believe - or at least $1400 for the seat.

Thanks.

I chose Sparco Evo seats over the PPs as they (the sparcos) are wider in the shoulders and narrower in the hips which suited me better. The moral is that you want to get your backside in as many seats as possible before forking out >$3k, although that can be difficult as a lot of agents don’t have them in stock.

You could try design99.co.uk or porscheshop.co.uk but I found that once you add in duty and GST there wasn’t much in it. The small premium for buying locally is worth it in my opinion; you get to support a local retailer and returning/warranty would be a lot easier.

Oh and I only got a slider for the driver’s seat. Passenger side is fixed (lower and further back) so you save some coin there.

I've read that the sparco wings can be a bit wide for our narrow Porsche's

In my case it was actually the side of the seat (the vertical bit adjacent to ones thigh) that was fouling againt the transmission tunnel. Once  the underlay/insulation was removed it was no longer a problem.

I'm hoping for a easier fit - perhaps the Pole Positions are the way to go.

Anyone know of 2 leather or leather/suedes for sale?  Ideally I'd like leather/suede but it doesn't appear I can get them locally.

Thanks

Recaro Pole Positions on ebay with 993 rails may be of interest:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pair-Recaro-Pole-Position-SPG-Racing-Seats-with-Rails-and-Willans-4pt-Harness-/121458737145?pt=AU_MotorRacingEquipment&hash=item1c47813ff9

Personally these would be my choice and I have been looking at these particular ones closely :)

Seats out of a Mitsubishi Evo (adjustable rake but no flip forward) or Honda integra Type R (rake and flip).

Seats are Recaro, light and examination of the Honda ones I have indicates that removal of the additional base structure (unbolts) and re drilling the standard 944 slides will allow fitting.

Not sure about the 911 seat belts but in regards to the 944 inner seatbelt mount, simple spacers between slide and seat will allow fitment.

Price is around $1000, colours limited

Cheers

Greg

$1325, which was probably fair considering the brackets and sliders are included.

Unfortunately consideration of fixed buckets means that "legally" I would need to remove the rear seats (no problem) and reregister the car as a 2 seater (bigger problem). Desire almost overcame common sense!

Seats out of a Mitsubishi Evo (adjustable rake but no flip forward) or Honda integra Type R (rake and flip).

Seats are Recaro, light and examination of the Honda ones I have indicates that removal of the additional base structure (unbolts) and re drilling the standard 944 slides will allow fitting.

Not sure about the 911 seat belts but in regards to the 944 inner seatbelt mount, simple spacers between slide and seat will allow fitment.

Price is around $1000, colours limited

Cheers

Greg

I have an Integra Type R and can vouch for the comfort and grip provided by the Recaro SR3s and they are reasonably hard wearing.

Unfortunately consideration of fixed buckets means that "legally" I would need to remove the rear seats (no problem) and reregister the car as a 2 seater (bigger problem). Desire almost overcame common sense!

Might want to double check that - I could be way off but I'm under the impression that, in NSW at least, it would only be necessary to reg as a two seater if you have a half cage in it and re-register would just need a blue slip. 

Hi

Last year I changed the factory Turbo seats in my Carrera 3.2 (which are same as that found in 964 RS Touring) to Recaro Pole Position (basically same as 964RS Clubsport) and for my purpose of weekend blast they are one of the best upgrades I have made for a slight decrease in comfort. You feel what the car is doing so much more & would definitely recommend. They hold you in the backside & shoulders rather than just the waist & fit perfectly. I mounted them on Recaro sliders & seat mounts purchased from Southbound trimmers in the UK who have them made especially for them with a thread where you bolt the seat belt receiver removed from your factory seat directly into the seat mount (as featured in Porsche & 911 World). I bought them last year from Racer Industries in Southport QLD who were as cheap as anybody worldwide with delivery I think being about $120 to Melbourne. They ask if you want the ABE version which are approved for road use & found in BMW M3 CSL & SLS AMG BLACK as an option or the FIA version if it's for a track car (I think all that is different is the sticker on the seat). You can also buy new cover kits for Recaro PP from Capital Seating in the UK. I have a 36 inch waist & fit well I think more than 38 inches may be pushing it.

Hope this info helps.

Paul

Hi

Last year I changed the factory Turbo seats in my Carrera 3.2 (which are same as that found in 964 RS Touring) to Recaro Pole Position (basically same as 964RS Clubsport) and for my purpose of weekend blast they are one of the best upgrades I have made for a slight decrease in comfort. You feel what the car is doing so much more & would definitely recommend. They hold you in the backside & shoulders rather than just the waist & fit perfectly. I mounted them on Recaro sliders & seat mounts purchased from Southbound trimmers in the UK who have them made especially for them with a thread where you bolt the seat belt receiver removed from your factory seat directly into the seat mount (as featured in Porsche & 911 World). I bought them last year from Racer Industries in Southport QLD who were as cheap as anybody worldwide with delivery I think being about $120 to Melbourne. They ask if you want the ABE version which are approved for road use & found in BMW M3 CSL & SLS AMG BLACK as an option or the FIA version if it's for a track car (I think all that is different is the sticker on the seat). You can also buy new cover kits for Recaro PP from Capital Seating in the UK. I have a 36 inch waist & fit well I think more than 38 inches may be pushing it.

Hope this info helps.

Paul

Hey Paul, do you have any pics of the seats installed?

Thanks for the info Paul.

I contacted Racer Industries about the Pole Position ABE's and they have a shipment coming in December. Ideally I was after leather with suede insert but these would not be ordered until next year.

I might end up going for the velour version and then buying a cover kit later.

Darren

Managed to find a few photos of my Recaro PPs. Eventually will probably get centre cushions covered in perforated leather although in no rush as I dropped $900 each on getting my factory turbo (964 RS Touring) seats recovered in leather before deciding to swap to the PPs. Good thing is they are very easily removed & will move on to my next Porsche hopefully. As I said transformed my driving experience! Only problem now I feel the car moving a lot more need to stiffen my suspension.

Cheers

Paul

post-1985-0-32428600-1413896070_thumb.jp

post-1985-0-19132700-1413896105_thumb.jp

post-1985-0-30133000-1413896124_thumb.jp

Thanks for the pics Paul.

I have general question about ADR, ABE and FIA approved seats in a road car. In Vic we need a VASS certificate when installing non factory seats or those that we're offered as an option for the same model. I spoke to an engineer who issues these certificates and he said that ABE might be OK to pass but definitely not FIA seats.

My problem is that I want to order Pole Positions but the sole distributor (Racer Industries) only brings in FIA seats in velour. They have leather in ABE, but at $1000 more I was hoping to put that elsewhere in the car.

It seems that often seats are installed without the certificate. So my question is what most are doing when installing fixed back seats? I'd appreciate some advice on whether I need to go ABE and get the certificate or go for FIA and drive around as is.

Thanks.

Racer industries (QLD) supplied me with the ABE version of Recaro PP in velour a few years back so they must have stopped bringing in this version recently as I remember them asking on the phone when ordering if it was for a road or track car. My car is on club plates so I haven't bothered about an engineers certificate to date. They are are approved for a number of newer road cars (see Recaro website in Aus) so obviously meet ADR requirements (ABE version).

Would also be interested in others opinion and whether full or club rego would make any difference?

As an update I spoke to another engineer and he was fine with FIA seats. He said that need to pass more stringent testing so he would be happy to sign off assuming the mounting hardware is factory. I explained how they attach in (ie. side plates) and it appears that I can get the certificate. I guess the proof will be in the pudding!

Also, Racer Industries used to bring in velour ABE seats but they didn't sell enough, in favour of FIA. Now they just bring in leather ABE's. They will add whatever you want to the next order, you just need to be prepared to wait a few months.

Archived