911 915 gearbox questions

Choppergrino

Hi fellow Pcar friends,

I need some advice on possible gearbox issues if anybody can help. I have a friend having trouble with his 915 gearbox which all of a sudden is having trouble going into 1st and reverse.

Any thoughts ? Syncros? .....

Recommendations to fix in Melbourne.

Thank you in advance

Danny

Thanks 911 o'clock is that something that can be done without a hoist? Is there any how to on doing the checks.

Thanks Danny

Hi Danny, easiest check is to open the access plate in the tunnel between the frt & rr seats. The coupling should be tight. If it slops around when the shift lever is moved side to side it will not find the gears properly. Usually worn or collapsed bushings are the problem. I posted a basic "how to" on this a couple of weeks back. Good luck.

edit:  

I'd really suggest you check that the clutch is operating correctly first and foremost. (The usual giveaway is if the clutch is dragging due to the common cause of excess freeplay he will probably notice a grunch trying to select reverse.)

If it's the coupler he will likely be having trouble selecting other gears as well as 1st and reverse. I'd suggest he first check the tightness of the bolt and grubscrew on the each end of the coupler before launching into a remove and rebuild.

• 2 weeks later...

It ended up being a simple fix, checked the linkage that was like new, then checked the cable on gearbox.

The cable had about 12mm of free play , once I tightened that it was like a new

Thanks for all the tips guys and car is driving heaps better !

Which cable? The clutch cable?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived