Fuchs Wheel Refurb

Dusty

Picked up a pair of 16x7 genuine Fuchs off E-bay which had been completely powdercoated black. Did some research and believed that some minor paint stripping would be required to get the outer rim to bare alloy, while retaining the petals in black but sadly, I've encountered problems.

After 2 weeks of full-on stripping (paint stripping, not my new vocation...), I've found the wheel surface is heavily pitted from what appears to be some type of media blasting.

Whether this was done to give the powder coat a better surface to cling to or was just a bodge job at cleaning off the anodising, I've been trying to sand down the pitting using some pretty hardcore wet'n dry (120grit) with limited success. 

Looks to be getting there from a far:

1A6F3BFC-B5E7-43B1-9C9C-054B14624FBB_zps

But is far from good:

BC7B591C-425C-4CAF-9F4A-07CE16ADB34E_zps

So to my question - has anyone encountered this? Is there a better way to get a proper finish or am I committed to repairing both wheels using little but sandpaper and a serious RSI injury...?

Thanks Harv's and firestone, my only experience with Lathes was back in grade 9 metalwork so I'm a bit ignorant; I'm assuming my local metal fabrication shop might be able to do the work or would you recommend someone else?

Hi there Dusty,

I would recommend speaking to a mag wheel repair guy.

Most nowdays have the ability to upload a picture of the wheel and they provide you with a quote.

In effect, they will do exactly as Harvs11 has suggested

Good luck

When I was restoring my SC I spent a huge amount of time on the wheels.  In the end I sent them away to be polished.  It is a very time consuming task and I would only do it myself if the wheels were already in very good condition.

A wheel repairer may be able to get the pitting out but like already suggested it will require special machinery.  Sanding them out will book your weekends up for most of 2015!

My personal opinion is to outsource wheel repairs in most cases and spend the time on other projects.

Personally I'd bite the bullet. Wheels make the car.

I have a set of Fuchs and will pay to get them done properly at some point. Started to try and refurbish them myself but there is no quick/easy way even using power tools. It's a job for the professionals IMO

I think I will have to bite the bullet but it'll have to wait as there are other more pressing issues on the job sheet.

I did have another crack at it overnight using a very small amount a 'power' (a 120g flapper drill)  followed by a small sand and although there's a marked improvement, I'll never be able to get into all the crevices or arrive at a consistent finish.

A bit of shine starting to come through:

40E9BD91-A48C-42B5-BEB5-44E328267F26_zps

6AA6A360-992D-4619-ADFD-4163E82FDD67_zps

Here's what they'll be replacing on the rear. 10 inches wide and all sorts of horribleness within. I think even the Fuchs in their current state are more appropriate...

52D2618B-D93F-48F7-83EB-9B94B3F0D9B8_zps

I've finally finished my 'make-do' Fuchs job following a few different 'scotch-brite' methods I read on Pelican. Without a proper lathe or anything to get into the crevices, I didn't want to take too much material off because ultimately these will be sent to a pro to be done correctly so some pitting remains.

I used a Medium 3M scourer pad drill attachment as the most severe tool to at least smooth over some of the pitting, before going back to 120 grit wet and dry and then up through the densities to 400 grit, finishing with a scotch-brite kitchen pad. Then re-sprayed the petals with some low gloss enamel and now just need to touch up the edges. I'm not sure they're glossy enough so I may have to go back for a second spray with a satin paint, I just didn't have any on hand.

before (just after the paint-strip)

E7A8AAB4-04E9-4574-9529-7B9835C746C3_zps

After:

12474E03-DC3F-4B52-B247-6D76463BC261_zps

Much better from afar:

7F4DE7B7-90C6-4D01-91FE-B89BBEB153E8_zps

The black edge was a real pain - I note most 7" fuchs have the 'inner ridge' painted black but my matching front fuchs have this finish. Most of my time was spent trying to fold sandpaper into that B&%#$%@ of a crack and it resulted in me filing my finger prints off. The upside is it'll now be easier to become a part-time burglar so I can raise money to complete the car.

Dusty I only just looked at this thread- there is a wheel refinishing guy in Kawana that has been around for years and does a pretty good job.  He's on the corner of Nicklin Way and Main Drv - no website but here is the Yellow Pages reference.  I have been in there and seen some horror wheel damage getting fixed (chunks missing etc).

http://www.yellowpages.com.au/qld/kawana-waters/warners-wheel-repairs-12030721-listing.html

I have had him do some wheel repairs in the past (some rebalancing of a bent rim) and the guy is pretty straight up to talk to and doesn't BS.  He has all the serious gear - lathes, balancers etc.  Might be worth dropping by next week - if I were you I'd get them balanced before putting tyres on at least.  After a couple of bad experiences whenever I buy a used wheel I always get it checked to make sure it's true before putting tyres on.

Thats not a bad idea Coastr, I'll get in touch with him.

I also plan on dropping the motor next Sunday so if you fancy seeing some Porsche innards, having a beer and just generally standing aound pointing at things, drop me a PM.

Archived