UPDATE-SE Qld Tech Day-Sunday May 24

twood

Russ has offered to wipe any oil spills, I have sweep the garage and Steiny has not driven the 997 to warrant an oil and filter change.

What are we going to do? One of the 944 guys asked if he could look at his transmission linkage? Who needs an oil change just to keep Russ occupied?

I have set the day aside so let me know if you have a job that the 2 post hoist will make easier. Come along even if you have no jobs and just enjoy the company - Porsches take priority. 

Sunday May 24 start at around 9.30am- some idea of numbers is appreciated but not essential. PM me for address or contact details. I am in Coorparoo.

I have an engine that could do with a quick rebuild.......

Y

Already ahead of you in the queue. I estimated that 10 of us could do four hours each and that would make 40 hours work. Enough to rebuild my engine in one day

Apparently I used to work in IT.

So far we are rebuilding Flatsix's engine, Mikes's 901 gearbox plus install parts to a top end and air intake (I always get nervous around people with latex gloves) but I am wondering what are going to do for the rest of the morning?

I could hook up the air compressor if anyone needs a respray.Russ, you could be busy-bring lots a paper towel.

Anyone need an address to where it will all be happening. 

Ken,

It was great to watch today.  I further understand why I must allow the (so called) experts do the work on my car. Stayed only a short while, but long enough to get some vital photos of the inner workings of a QLD Tech Day.

I was explaining to my 5yo (Lachie-Dan) the different parts under the 944.   I came to the front and said thats the engine here between the two front wheels.   He said out aloud "The engine's in the front ?   But this is a Porsche !"   He was most horrified.   I think Ken is also looking for the engine back there ?

17845953399_b702c07c15_z.jpg

This little light got his attention

18033029531_2a79941200_z.jpg

The cars all waiting patiently outside....we were outnumbered by radiators today B)

18005753586_d10431c7ac_z.jpg

And one of the official photographer.   All other pics are credited to him, my 5yo.

18005783576_04f79ac49b_z.jpg

Great pics Chris.  Your littleun is quite the photographer.

Sorry I had to leave early.  Keen to hear how you went with the 944 trans - (something of a) - mission.

Thanks for hosting Ken.  Another great day.

Cheers all.

"For the want of a nail a war is lost" or in our case the want of a 17mm Hex head 1/2" Socket. Fun day regardless and great to meet new people. I still get nervous putting any car other than my own on the hoist and lifting it a metre and half off the ground.

Best I could come up with 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/201340630379?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107&chn=ps

$_35.JPG

Not an entirely successful day but we did have some wins.

I agree with Steiny- great pictures Lachie-Dan we could have you as our official photographer. 

Thanks everyone who came and again highlights just how much I have to learn about cars in general and any Porsche not air cooled.

Ken,

I think I have an air leak in the intake after we finished putting it together.  We need to find a smoke machine. Or one of us volunteer and light up a cigar.

Any takers?

Nice to catch up with everyone yesterday and thanks to Ken for hosting.  We had some dramas with the drain plug on the S2 cabrio's transmission, not overcome on the day, unfortunately.  Learnings on the day were that:

1. Tapered fill and drain plugs can be extraordinarily tight - make sure you can undo the fill plug BEFORE you drain the oil.  (Not a problem yesterday as we couldn't undo the DRAIN plug!)

2. We couldn't source a 17mm 1/2" drive hex on the day, Ken almost saved the day with his "Ghetto" hex, but the grade of bolt wasn't up to the torque required for the drain plug...

3. On going home and reviewing my hex collection, I was reminded that even a proper Sidchrome 1/2" drive allen hex can't survive the 100 ft-lbs plus 180 degrees required by an Audi front hub.  (See pic}  Fortunately the hex part is useable with the addition of a (quality) 17mm socket.

4. It's a reminder that it is in these situations that you REALLY need the best quality tools you can get... eg: Stahlwille, Snap-on or Proto.

Allen%20Hex.jpg

Archived