Auto downshift on throttle stab

Grungle

This may be one of those things that I've only just realised and everyone else has known for all eternity, but I have just discovered you can get the Cayenne auto to shift down a gear or two by giving the throttle a quick poke. So, rolling down an incline at speed in 5th or 6th, if you quickly stab the throttle it will drop back a gear or two and provide increased engine braking. Once you give it some constant throttle again it will slip back into the higher gear.

Has this been a design feature auto boxes since forever? It's quite useful.

It might just be a safety feature that could also save a bit of brake wear. Cars are smarter than drivers now , so if you accidentally (or for some strange and perverted reason deliberately)  poke the throttle , it will do the right thing. What does the owners manual tell you about auto shifting in your car?

isn't that a kickdown switch?

on alot of the Toyota hire cars i've been driving lately tapping the throttle a few times will get it to shift down (without going to the floor for the kickdown switch)

in a similar way, the 991 Targa 4S it auto blips the throttle for you on downshift. I thought that was pretty cool

It only takes a slight tap, and you can do it more than once. I think it will help save the save brakes, and with the Cayenne being notoriously heavy on brakes that's certainly a good thing. I've been using it the last couple of days to roll up to traffic lights, roundabouts etc and it's much smoother than using the brakes. It forces you to look a bit further ahead and anticipate the traffic too, which is always a good thing.

See you in a week...

Here is it ALL together for the lazy guys like me. Thanks to all that posted these tips) Not me.

=====================================

You can lock the doors with the key fob after you take out the keys even if the doors are open or the rear hatch is open .. once you close all the doors, it will lock itself right away. Is helpful given the range of the key fob and if you are carrying a lot of stuff out of the car but remember not to leave the key fob lying on the seat !!

==============================================

There are a pair of buttons on the back of the steering wheel (opposite tiptronic controls) which turn on/off lighting on the multifunction wheel.

Steering wheel automatically heats up if the interior temp falls below 54 degrees F.

=============================================

Car will not upshift automatically in manual mode with PSM OFF, but will with PSM ON

With Keyless entry and drive, you cannot turn the ignition clear off with the car not in PARK when using the dummy key 

Under certain lock settings, one must push the rear hatch release button in the drivers door pocket for every time the rear hatch is to be accessed

Pressing 1, 4 and 8 at the same time on the PCM keypad will reset the PCM unit.

============================================

Switch in the glove compartment that, when switched on, diverts the AC keeping the glove compartment ice cold for beveridges or sandwhiches on long trips.

You can rebuild the air ride compressor in 30 minutes with three parts for 150 bucks http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...howtopic=25621

Only screws holding the entire console cover

There is a mini visor just forward of the overhead interior lights and just in front of the rearview mirror. Its used to block the glare of the lights at night for the rear view mirror.

Don't forget the "Rest" button on the Climate controls, perfect for keeping the chill out of your Cayenne if your running into a store, office etc... for a short time.

There is a switch under the rear hatch wiper mount to open the rear glass.

There is a little light under the rearview mirror that lights up the dash so you can see to adjust the vents and other controls.

===========================================

There are two additional 12 volt outlets under the glove box area!

==========================================

The nav/sound system can be turned on even with the key not inserted!

===========================================

Hold the "Auto" button to switch to "Mono" mode. Now driver/passenger temperatures will both change when you change the temp.

Absolutely, turn the auto button off, light should be off and fan control will be independent of each other. As a footnote, you can control the rear passengers temperatures and fan this way too if so equipped. 

what I do to control different speed on opposite sides is use the shut on/off wheel to adjust the speed, usually close lighter side forces more air out of the higher speed side and overall reduce total fan speed. Not high tech but it works.

===============================================

If you have the Light Comfort Package "Auto on/off headlights you have mood lighting in your foot wells, rear floor and front and rear armrests. The switch is up by the driver map light it has a little triangle on it and is next to the map light on and off switch. When its dark out, headlights on, simply hold the button down until you see light in all locations. I have found most people that have this option don't know about it. 

If not already noted the 2009 models have a 12v outlet tucked way up on the left side of the passenger footwell. It is at the bottom of the dash on the console side. Great for cell phone power cords!

Right. One is constant 12V on and the other one turns on when the key is turned on.

There is a bit of a lag in my cayenne turbo off the line so I turn off the PSM button and it would let me select to 1st gear to get a better acceleration off the line.

On the '08 Cayenne S, if the truck is locked, insert the key in the driver's door, turn to the 9 o'clock position, and hold. All the windows roll down. Not so helpful now as during the dog days in the summer. Conversely, upon exiting insert the key in the driver's door, turn and hold to the 3 o'clock position will close the any open windows and arms the vehicle. Depending upon which comfort / vehicle settings you have (interior motion on), upon unlock and opening the windows you need to unlock / disarm via the key fob or the alarm [can / usually does] go off within a minute.

You can adjust the seat and steering wheel, so when you open the door they both move into a position to allow easier access in. Once key is inserted, they move back to your chosen position (memory).

By pressing the accelerator all the way down and then pushing beyond its stop, this initiates the kickdown which will drop it into first, also good for engine braking while approaching a corner. You will feel it go beyond its stop just a little bit, like pressing a button.

There are buttons on new cayennes on the B-Pillar area close to the floor beside the seat for turning off the inclination sensor and interior monitoring. 

================================================== ===========

UST DONT get heavy on the brakes with the PCM off. If you have ever done this you will note that the pedal REALLY firms up when the PCM is off.

While sitting at the lights today I played with holding the PCM off for 10secs in a variety of combination of Sport, 1st gear, etc...no hidden Launch-Mode. 

If you press and hold main (on PCM) then push trip you will activate the firmware version screen.

I've got one. If you drive your CTT a whole bunch you can get the plastic coolant lines in the intake manifold to burst and watch coolant fly out of your exhaust. This hidden feature is useful if you want to suddenly blanket the tailgater behind you with coolant and water! Awesome.

Pressing the blinker and letting up (before the click) makes it flash 3 times. Works great for switching lanes.

As has already been noted the steering wheel buttons can be opperated from the front or back (pushed or pulled). Until a long trip over the weekend I had been usure of the purpose but I think I have it figured out (you may be way ahead of me). If you grip the wheel with hands at the 4 and 8 o'clock positions you can comfortably rest your fingers (all 8) on the backs of these buttons in a similar way as your fingers rest on the keys of your computer keyboard. You can then opperate all the functions (answer phone calls, change stations, switch to satelite/input, adjust volume, etc) without ever having to take you eyes off the road. Once you've played with it a bit it becomes second nature just like finding the keys on your keyboard. Hope this is helpful.

If the side mirror control button is turned to the passenger mirror, when you put the shift lever in reverse the passenger mirror will turn downward to see the ground area when backing up,then return to normal position when driving, the mirror can be programmed how far to turn down with a similar seat memory position function described in the manual.

As already noted there is the extra sun visor in the centre.... but there are also two sun visors where there are usually only one for the driver (haven't checked for the passenger but i assume the same). One visor can be angled over to shield from sun coming in through the side window while the other one, which is tucked away underneath, can be folded down for sun coming in from the front.... very helpful for those twisty roads on your way home at sunset. This is one well thought out vehicle if anyone still has doupts. Great thread and contrary to one of the previous comments, several bits of info listed were not in the manual and the rest is a great review for those of us who did not memorize it yet.

================================================== =========== 

This is more of a trick then a tip. For 03 - 06 C's, while in most any gear and driving less than 80 mph, if you let off the gas (or are just breathing on the pedal) and then quickly tap the pedal, the c downshifts automatically. I am not sure if my sprint booster is allowing me just to give the light tap though. On a C with no sprint booster it might be more than a few mm tap Keep in mind I am talking a "tap" so please no one say " yeah dumb A$$, that's the way the tranny works when you mash the pedal". I love it as it's like using the thumb shifters without actually touching them.

The rear view mirror has an electrophotochromatic dimmer. there's a button under the green light that turns it on and off. when the light is green, it's on (dimmed), when the light is out, it's off (full bright). i never have it off, especially with all the crazy kids and their billion degree blue light special headlights. but i suppose if you're backing up a long driveway with obstacles, you'd want it off.

Having window fogging issues? i notice i do too if i have either of the recirculating air buttons on. toggle through the switches to turn both the manual and auto lights off. this setting is the fresh air setting.

Not sure if this is on all the Cayennes but the CTT has both front and rear fog lights that are activated by pulling the light switch outwards. The rear fog lights make your tail lights about 50% brigher so that cars can see you better from the rear.

Turn of PSM and activate sport button. Cayenne becomes a beast

There are lights under the bottom of the doors that light up the ground when opened (I assumed that the light was coming only from the mirrors)

I didn't see this one posted....If you are ever in the position where the alarm is set, but you don't want it to go off because of movement inside the vehicle...(parking at the airport with a date) There are 2 buttons on the drivers side B pilar, about 10 inches from the floor, you can chose to make the alarm sense movement inside or outside of the vehicle if you push it shortly after turning the vehicle off......Now, time to talk my wife into parking at the airport.

You can shift into gear while the starter is cranking - it's Porsche's fault for putting the ignition on the left side...

On the key fob, if you press the trunk opening button only once instead of holding, (you know you have to hold it to pop the trunk), only the trunk and the gas door will get unlocked and will get locked back after 30 seconds of inactivity. Let's say you're at a gas station that is not a self-serve one and you want to lock your car while the pump guy fills it up. just lock your doors, push the trunk button once and he'll do his job with no access to car

Here's something I like to do when pulling up to a party or something with people outside. Have it in the terrain level before pulling up to the destination and right before you turn the car off hit the decrease air bag setting twice down to normal then pull the key out and get out. While you're walking up to the party your car is lowering and looks alive. LOL it actually caught me off guard when I saw it the first time but I played it off like I knew it was coming.

================================================== ==============

If you have Porsche Entry & Drive, you don't have to worry should you leave your keys inside--that car won't lock.

Wow. Long post, Uncle. Could be summed up as "This car is smarter than you."

The best thing about the stab/kick down is it will hold that lower gear thru a corner so you can blast out the other side. :D

Could you not achieve the same, and with more control, by using the transmission "manually"?

I that not what the current tiptronic boxes are for?

I use my auto constantly manually in my E320 and it works a treat, hardly needing brakes down hills.

Archived