944 No Start

TINGY

Ahhh ... didn't realise it had spark. Won't be the immobiliser effect then as it cuts spark to distributor .... must be one of those little boxes that help things run smoothly and that are waaay out of my league to comment on ....

Will have to bow out now and leave it to the boffins that know about the intricate electrical system of these cars ...

Good luck Steve .... hope it sorts out soon ...

Have you tried jigging the speed and reference connectors at the rear of motor. The harness back to DME are notorious for giving you no starts. I survived a cpl of years jiggling but have now replaced faulty harness with a Lindsey Racing harness

+1 on Cyber's suggestion.  Had the same problem with my previous '86 Turbo, connectors for speed/reference sensors had disintegrated over time.

Surely if you have spark then the crank position sensor is functioning OK?

Suggest you need to verify again you're actually having spark and the injectors working at the same time as sometime isn't adding up above!

Bruce the plugs have fallen apart in my hands like a beef stock cube.

Ronny it has to be electrical somewhere it's just finding it, looks like it's dash out again.

I would suggest investing in the LR harness asap. It just gives you peace of mind knowing you wont have issue again. I also replaced the fuel injector harness while I was in there. I didn't think I had an issue with injector harness but when I was removing old one several connectors had been a point of  breaking when I touched them, so I was about to have grief, even though at that point harness had not caused an issue.

So it should run then!

One of our pieces of information is incorrect so need to recheck to find the incorrect assumption.

I know!

Surely if you have spark then the crank position sensor is functioning OK?

Suggest you need to verify again you're actually having spark and the injectors working at the same time as sometime isn't adding up above!

I know too, frustrating isn't it.

Checked and triple checked, i'll hand it over to the experts now and they will find some stupid little obscure wire somewhere that i have missed i know it.

One last thing, and following on from what Tazzie said re spark, fuel, air... timing!  I recall (another) problem with my previous 944T, where the car had the three essentials, but wouldn't go, albeit with the occasional fart from the exhaust.  Turned out to be that the grub screw retaining the rotor button had backed out, leaving the rotor button to rotate in a free-range manner.  Took 2 weeks to realise this was the problem, pointed out by a fellow Rennlister on the 944 Turbo page...

One last thing, and following on from what Tazzie said re spark, fuel, air... timing!  I recall (another) problem with my previous 944T, where the car had the three essentials, but wouldn't go, albeit with the occasional fart from the exhaust.  Turned out to be that the grub screw retaining the rotor button had backed out, leaving the rotor button to rotate in a free-range manner.  Took 2 weeks to realise this was the problem, pointed out by a fellow Rennlister on the 944 Turbo page...

You got me all excited when i read this earlier Rob but no, rotor button is tight as a drum. :( I really wished it wasn't.

If you need another hand or set of eyes, I'm currently working in town and would be happy to pop over after work with a multimeter.

Thanks for the offer Adrian but I hope to have sorted on Thursday or Friday, working long hours so my after work is late.

• 1 month later...

I guess i should have updated this thread sooner  but here goes anyway.

It turns out it was an easy fix but not an easy find, rotor button was shorting, coil to dizzie cap cable was on the blink and 2 of the plug leads also on the blink.

They were all intermittently going on the blink and was a very hard find, i had an auto electrician around who spent hours here at home but couldn't quite nut it out, only charged a $100 bucks because he didn't get a result for me. 

So then it was on a flatbed and down to a local BMW/Porsche guy who had few extra tricks up his sleeve and it also took him several hours to find the problem, so all good now and the car is going great and i have replaced a few bits that would have probably given me troubles down the track, i also didn't realize how much i missed driving it. 

Good cheap result! You had spark , but not a manly spark! 

I've taken to measuring resistance on spark leads every couple of years , wiggle them with the ohmmeter attached.

That , and inspecting the dizzy cap each time I change the oil. And on my 911 and 924  I siliconed the small gap between the spark lead and boot as moisture tracks down here. I hate the prospect of being stranded. Last time it happened , in 1989 , it was electrical (fusible links in an Outback , in the wilderness!)

Just thought i would share a pic of part of my problems with the 944 and it also got me wondering how many of us are running around with this potential "show stopper" in our cars, first pic is the coil to distributor wire and the degree of oxidation and the second is an old cable as well but this is how they should look.

IMAG1063.jpg

IMAG1064.jpg

Archived