944 No Start

TINGY

So a couple of weeks ago my 944 stopped not long after i left home for a drive, i have had a very loose ignition for a while (key cylinder), when i was turning the key it was clicking and making some strange noises and would not start until i had just released the key, it started then stopped immediately a couple of times and then kicked finally. 

I managed to get it home and it missed all the way.

Thinking i might need a new key cylinder, i got a new one.

It turns out the reason for being loose was the ignition switch, so i got a new one, still no go.

After a bit more research i found out that the DME relay is a pretty common failure in these cars, so my electrician son checked it out and going through all the information i had gathered it appeared to be toast. So we resoldered all the connections and still no go, so i got a new one, still no go.

So i need some help now because i am at a loss, this is what i have checked,

fuel pump is working and fuel flows through the filter and into the fuel rail

i have checked all the spark plugs and i have spark

i have checked the reference and speed sensors and from what Simon at Autowerks tells me there needs to be 800-900 ohms across that, ok

i have checked earth straps

everything else is working when the ignition is on

Anyone got any ideas because i am at a loss now, my technical abilities only go so far, maybe i have missed something, this is very frustrating any help is appreciated.

Assuming you would have checked but you should be seeing 12v at pin 86 of the DME socket when the ignition is on. If not, then it will be the ignition switch or possibly the alarm (if you have one)?   

Need to get my arse fixed first then I am in. Dry day naturally..

I heard your arse got smashed by a pole, must have hurt.

Assuming you would have checked but you should be seeing 12v at pin 86 of the DME socket when the ignition is on. If not, then it will be the ignition switch or possibly the alarm (if you have one)?   

New ignition switch now unless it's the plug.

Ahh yes the alarm, what a PITA that could be, that did come to mind.

With 944 prices anywhere between $10k-$20K, fixing stuff must be tough. In my head I can just about justify the cash I have to throw at fixing my cars, but running to Autohaus every time something goes wrong, can't be an option you have, or you'd be spending the cars worth every few years. 944 owners must be a brave, mechanically minded lot.

With 944 prices anywhere between $10k-$20K, fixing stuff must be tough. In my head I can just about justify the cash I have to throw at fixing my cars, but running to Autohaus every time something goes wrong, can't be an option you have, or you'd be spending the cars worth every few years. 944 owners must be a brave, mechanically minded lot.

Thats cause in your head you dont work on your own car you pay (Or get someone else too, i.e. 964 project) so you don't truly appreciate the vehicle for what it is.

Anyone can get in and drive a car fast (not necessarily well) so please don't knock a bloke for trying to sort out a problem himself.......

If you have a "problem" with 944's thats fine just please don't ruin it for the rest of us with your comments re our vehicles.

If you don't like, don't read and pse stop the negativity

Call me precious or whatever, he is just asking for help from like minded enthusiasists who may not have as deep pockets as others.......

I've been (and still am) on the journey to help so anyone who has something to add pse do.......

By the way turbot, love your 964 and please don't butcher it.........

Cremation or burial?

^^ mate think you have got the wrong end of the stick. Admiring tingys ability to look at getting a fix but at the same time acknowledging that you probably have to as getting someone else to do it doesn't make financial sense. I wish I had the time and ability to get stuck in.

I just like a challenge, and ive always done stuff to my cars 'cause i choose to, i can also justify the cash too but i'm not going to because i don't want to.

Another reason i'm doing it is because it is in my garage after i managed to drive it home, like i said in the post it didn't have to go on a flat top.

I'm really after help on here at the moment nothing else.

Could it be that 1 of the wires on the ignition switch is on the wrong terminal, acting like an immobiliser without meaning to do so ....

My headlight switch had 1 wire wrong and it caused havoc with the headlight operation ... One wire moved and voila ....

Get a diagram off the net and compare ....

Could it be that 1 of the wires on the ignition switch is on the wrong terminal, acting like an immobiliser without meaning to do so ....

My headlight switch had 1 wire wrong and it caused havoc with the headlight operation ... One wire moved and voila ....

Get a diagram off the net and compare ....

Could be Ronny but everything is working as it should be as far as i know.

Loose ground somewhere?

Mate, I would go back to looking at Ignition/alarm cut-out and battery charge/engine earth at same time.

T and Mark i have removed and and cleaned earth, battery is fully charged, going back to ignition plug today if i feel like it, my eleco tech son has just flown to New Zealand and had to take the spare multi-meter with him, i'm flying blind now.

Yep got 12v here Martin.

Tingly,

So it turns over but won't fire?

You say it has spark and the fuel pump is operating while doing this?

Can you feel the injectors or have checked the injectors are working while the engine is turning over?

Yep engine turns, fuel in and running to fuel rail, plugs were damp with fuel when i pulled them after cranking, injector plugs have volts across the terminals.

I assumed injectors are working seeing that the plugs were damp, and the injectors are just over 12mths old.

Have you tried jigging the speed and reference connectors at the rear of motor. The harness back to DME are notorious for giving you no starts. I survived a cpl of years jiggling but have now replaced faulty harness with a Lindsey Racing harness

Must be electrical ..... leaning towards a cutout / immobiliser style wire being active when it shouldn't be .... also thinking from the ignition switch seeing as though it was running before you changed it ....

Do any of the wires running from there have any exposed wire or are possibly touching a ground .... might have happened while moving the wires around changing the switch ...

The previous owner of mine had put 1 wire in the wrong spot and while the headlights still worked, their operation was so messed up, the headlights would dim with the instrument lights .... not supposed to do that ... (just in case you were wondering, all fixed now)

Yep engine turns, fuel in and running to fuel rail, plugs were damp with fuel when i pulled them after cranking, injector plugs have volts across the terminals.

I assumed injectors are working seeing that the plugs were damp, and the injectors are just over 12mths old.

So no spark?

When you drove it home was the miss associated with intermittent connection in the ignition switch or just like you feel with the odd dud spark plug? Ie did you lose power intermitently to other things as well?

Archived