2000/02 vs 2003/4 Boxster S

ADS911

Investigating the purchase at the moment and comparing examples. There is a few subtle exterior differences, minor engine spec differences, obvious interior differences. A huge variance in the market of the quality of what's on offer.

Has anyone had personnel experience in the early vs late 986 S in the real world, any difference in drive etc?

Any other advice would be much appreciated?

Thanks

I had an updated 2003 Boxster S (just sold recently) ,

Interior - honestly the update model was not a big difference, never used the cup holders, the glove box but the updated glass roof is good ( demister is useful) and is a little quieter.(marginal). By now an earlier  car may have a new roof with glass screen anyway.

The biggest pain I had was the  MOST  which made replacing the sound system problematic.  total rip and replace.

The increase in power was too small to be noticeable.

If I was to buy another 986 boxster S( and I would). I would buy the pre-update (with the IMS replaced of course ) , as on the road its very good as close to the later 986 S and cheaper.

By the way did you sell your SC in the end?

Having owned an 04S previously and now wanting to get back into another 986 I am also interested to hear what people have to say regarding this.  I have only spent a short amount of time in a models prior to 03 so I can't comment too much. Obvious exterior / interior changes are:

Glass rear window

Sportier front and rear bumpers

Non-Amber lights

Glove box in 03 and 04 but not prior

03-04 have Single Row IMS,  00-02 could be either dual or single (give or take)

I looked at a 1999 built MY00 in March and overall the differences were negligible.  It was in pretty good condition so overall my thoughts now are to buy on condition.  Most of the differences are cosmetic and can be updated if need be.  There are a few places to get a replacement glass window roof and upgrading to non amber lights is doable for a bit under a grand from memory although I did read a decent DIY on 986forum.com outlining how to dremel out the amber from the fronts.  The results were pretty good to be honest.  Ill try and find the link for this too.

Thanks Monty (I have sold my SC), Thanks Qstoria appreciate the input. 

I think spending the $2-3k on IMS is a given unless recent qualified receipts for replacement are supplied. 

I guess just buy the best S of any year is the go. Gee there is some rubbish out there and some very overpriced rubbish!!

No worries ADS911, it is good to talk about something other than air cooled prices!

There is a seal grey 03 S in Adelaide asking 27.5 but it is on the WOVR with no info given so I can't see it selling for anything over 18-19. If it legitimately checked out to be straight and simply written off for some other cosmetic reason which was repaired well then you might be able to grab a bargain especially if you were planning to just keep the car for a long long time where resale wouldn't bother you.

Are you only searching for an S model at this stage?

nothing new to add from me except to echo the points made by others above.

I ended up with an 03, but that was really just a function of price and condition. For me the only real benefit of the 03 is the glass rear window and slight convenience of the glovebox. That said, there are some great products for restoring plastic rear windows.

As for driving - it really is marginal between the pre and post 03 year. 

Personally, I don't see that much difference in the looks - there are parts of the 03 I prefer to the pre 03 model, and vice versa.

Happy hunting and good luck sorting through some of the rubbish out there

Having owned a 2001 S For close to 8 years, the two main sticking points for me are pretty minor.

1/ The plastic rear screen, although if kept treated properly with the right cleaners they can still be in reasonably good nick.

2/ The wife would like to have a glove box.

Otherwise the cars are well put together, apart from things like the Air Oil separator, the coolant reservoir and the normal wear and tear items you don't have too much too worry about.

Definitely be looking for one with the IMS upgrade, just to ensure a peaceful nights sleep.

I think the good ones ( service records, not bent or raced) you should be lookin at around the 25 k mark.

(Check car sales, I think last time I looked recently there was one on for 34k or similar?, I think he is dreaming, but a couple more around the 30k)

Lots of cheaper ones around, if you didn't want to go that way.

As for kilometers.....well if the car has been looked after, I would probably be a bit flexible there.

Really....they are now sensational buying for what your getting for up to the 25 k

Get a good one, continue to treat it "nice" but still drive it like it was meant to be driven, and I don't think you can go too far wrong.

They are a great drivers car,

ALL THE ABOVE IMHO.

Good luck with the hunt.

No worries ADS911, it is good to talk about something other than air cooled prices!

There is a seal grey 03 S in Adelaide asking 27.5 but it is on the WOVR with no info given so I can't see it selling for anything over 18-19. If it legitimately checked out to be straight and simply written off for some other cosmetic reason which was repaired well then you might be able to grab a bargain especially if you were planning to just keep the car for a long long time where resale wouldn't bother you.

Are you only searching for an S model at this stage?

Thanks again Qstoria, I have been watching the 03 S and have done some homework on the car, it had a PPI last year with quite a few issues (all rectifiable). For what I want to do to the car, PS9 or KW suspension exhaust etc it is the right car. I'm with you on the price, WOVR & issues will turn most away, will see how I go. I am only looking at S at this stage, did consider other model with lunched motor and putting in 3.4 or the like but expensive option when done, albeit very quick.

Cheers

Thanks baso & Niko, they are superb value at the moment.

Essentially I did want to, and would have preferred to have, go down the line of turning my SC into a hot rod but didn't have the spare time or spare funds at the moment so very practical way of getting a lot of enjoyment for little outlay in time & money. 

Will keep updated as the search continues.

They are great bang for your buck.

AUTOHAUS have a very nice early 97 ....986 on their sales site, for $24,900.00.

So that is an Iindication of what "good" ones are going for, and that's not an S.

I think your Boxster option over, rodding the SC is definitely a better way to go.

Differences in the US

2003 Base   (Significant refresh)

2.7Litre engine 228 HP (+11)

5 speed manual transmission, Tiptronic 5 speed optional

Lockable glove box.

Improved cup holders.

Bose digital audio system option.

Base model gets same suspension as 2002 S model.

Glass rear window (heated) standard.

Grey/White turn signals replace the prior years yellow/orange ones.

Larger air intakes.

Side air intakes body colored.

Altered rear air spoiler.

Different front and rear bumpers.

Redesigned and lighter wheels.

Tweaked exhaust

Center vents smaller

CDR-23 uses MOST audio bus

Standard in-dash CD player

Optional PCM II using MOST

Switches horizontal

Revised console (between seats)

2003 S model 

3.2Litre engine 258 HP (+8)

6 speed manual transmission, Tiptronic 5 speed optional

new anti-roll bars.

Bose option in my 04 was nothing to write home about.  Had I have done one of those sound off type thingys (all the cool kids do them with their lancers etc) against my 92 Honda Legend then the Honda would have taken the crown.

Archived