• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So, after doing my sideshift conversion, I was able to get all gears really easily.. 

But now it is evident that 5th gear pops out all the time.. and 1st gear syncro is shot....

Time to take it all apart again and bite the bullet!

DSC02650_zpscdhwdsda.jpg

Here are some parts I bought from Dr Evil.. 1st/Rev slider... 2 more sliders for 2/3 and 4/5.. 2 syncro rings.. some brake bands and blocks. Ended up buying some new blocks from Porsche Brisbane too.DSC02652_zpsa6pezsgk.jpg

Check out the teeth on 1st gear! DSC02656_zps0wg8ij76.jpg

DSC02673_zps31az8uto.jpg

DSC02674_zpshsd2scdt.jpg

Getting this snap ring off is by far, the most difficult part of any of this. This is first gear.. you can tell cos there is only 1 brake band in the pack. Also, the top stop block has the hook on it. 

Also, these are the older style brake bands.. they are longer than the new ones.. See how the bottom block is quite short... In the newer ones, the top and bottom blocks are about the same size, and the brake bands are shorter....

DSC02675_zps2qn6i9bd.jpg

Here is a poor quality photo showing the difference between the newer and older styles.. new on the left.. older on the right.

DSC02677_zpsb6lluq9u.jpg

I updated all the bands in all the gears to the newer sort.

DSC02678_zpsq9ie1y0x.jpg

And here is the 5th gear slider!

DSC02680_zps8srfeizo.jpg

Totally chewed... I am certain that this transmission has been apart before... and what they did was swap the 4/5 slider with 1/2... this way they "prolonged" the life of the box but it explains why 5th kept popping out.

So I replaced the dog teeth for 5th, syncro, bands etc.. 

And here is the 1st/rev slider... not totally terrible, but still, needing replacement. Which I got with my parts from dr evil.. 

I have some pretty cool looking paperweights after doing all this...

DSC02681_zpszvut9j3e.jpg

Mike did Mike supply new or a mix of new and old parts? Care to share pricing on the parts? 

You dropping new bearings in?

Out of interest did you consider 915 side shift install?

good stuff

hi Michel

not sure what you mean about a 915 side shift... I have converted to the 914 side shift on a previous date, with the correct shift rods etc.

As for the parts, they are all second hand. The sliders he gave me were in almost new condition though. The 1st/rev slider was perfect. Almost too good to use.

The syncro rings were quiite good condition.

All up, the bits cost me with conversion and freight, about $1000 aud.... scary huh.

Archived