986 Boxster misleading car yard advert....Hobart

Looking at this car in isolation of the S badge, the year and km and what (at least in the pics) looks to be nice condition, it is appears fairly priced for a non S 2001 Boxster.

If you add in the Tassie premium - we generally pay more for used cars down here (that damn bit of water - anywhere from $2k to $5k....), it looks quite good, for a local to buy...... just remove the S.....

Agreed ANF, I was quite interested in this car before the whole S debacle began.  The kicker is that I would be happy with a standard 2.7, I don't need the S (though it would be nice).  I just get a bit worried when I see a car like this (Porsche being a potentially very expensive fix if hidden problems are found) that isn't 'standard'.  It's not like it is a Nissan Pulsar that some young bloke has stuck a 'SSS' badge on the back to look cool.  It is a very strange move to stick an 'S' badge on a standard Boxster as I would think someone like Niko would see through this ruse pretty quickly.  Just makes me wonder as already stated if there was some body work done & a mistake made.  Still if you get to have a closer look I would be very interested in the results.  (I assume you are in the industry by some of your comments.)

I had a look at today, and is in very good condition. Straight away they agreed that it was not an S model.....

That was nice of them to say what they advertised is not actually what it is.....And the price difference now being......

Not sure they are going to do that..... It was traded on a Landie of all things.....

For what it is, the condition and km I think it is priced equivalently to the rest of the low km non S cars for sale.....

I bet the poor fools paid the PO the "S" trade in price for the Landrover & hence want to recover the cost on the sale.  When I spoke to them & told them that they did not have an "S" the salesman actually said words to the effect of, "Well I suppose you won't want to pay this price because it is not an "S".  We just knocked back an offer of $25500. So we are probably miles apart".  I told him that we definitely were.  Trade in on the S is 16 to 20k depending on K's.

I get the feeling that the car yard is most likely not the perpetrator of the "S" addition however I get the feeling they are hoping someone comes along with little clue & pays their asking price.

Wanting near enough to 27K plus on road, when the log book and invoices etc are very ordinary.  

It has had an engine change, the wheels have been swapped from original, 

I reckon he is miles too high with his asking price and as you say Jase even $25,500 is over the top IMHO   

It has good K's on face value, but does it, engine swap at those K's why?   

I agree that somewhere around the 18k to maybe 20K mark would be closer to it.

PLUS I find it hard to believe they are still advertising it as an S when it's not.   They definitely know now.

Three of us have told them....

Maybe the LMCT people in Tas should be notified.  

Hate to be a spoilt sport, but they should be advertising as a Boxster with an upgraded engine.

Some unsuspecting wood duck who thinks he is getting an S is going to get ripped.

Niko, I see they have buckled & changed the advert dropping the 'S' designation & the price by 3k.  Your efforts have paid off.

Now correct me if i'm wrong but I thought by the previous posts re serial numbers established that this car has a 2.7 ltr engine. ie the 22 denotes the 2.7 engine.

Wouldn't you be able to tell if the original engine is still fitted to the vehicle as the original compliance plate would show matching numbers on the VIN.  If you have to add a new engine in QLD you have to stamp & affix a new (additional) compliance plate.

In the end, the car probably has the original 2.7 litre motor in it, and as Mike D'silva said in an early post, maybe they honestly thought it was an S.   Let's hope there was no intent to sell it under a false description.    Anyway, that price and advert is more realistic now.   

As they say in the classics......Our work is done here....

A conundrum no doubt but in the case of my SC - it was advertised on an auction website as an auto targa. I checked the VIN and engine numbers and it turned out to be a manual coupe. Needless to say I pounced on it cause it was well priced.

Monumental cock-ups can occur from both sides - up-selling and in my case, down selling. So long as it's not blatant shonky dealings, I'm happy to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Spoke to the previous owner again today.  She said she has not modified the vehicle in any way & that the S badge was on the car when she bought it.  I called the yard again today & made an offer of 21k based on having to add transport costs to the vehicle.  They refused to go lower than 23k.  So that will unfortunately be an end to it.

As a side note I got back on to CEVA today & queried the $2880 quote to transport a Porsche from Hobart to Brisbane.  I asked what it would cost for a 'normal' car- $1600.  When I questioned why the disparity they eventually stated that cars lower than 13cm from the lowest point of the chassis need to be transported on a special truck.  Anyone know off the top of their head how low a standard Boxster is for future reference???

Thanks Niko, well it looks like the expensive trip is a necessity at only 10.5cm clearance.  If I didn't have a newborn I would just drive the bloody thing home over a few days (sounds like a dream actually) however my wife would literally go me with a knife if I tried that on!  Wives hey!  Screwed up priorities! (ps if my wife sees this- I am only joking dear- I love you & baby Tom very much & would hate to spend a few days away driving a Porsche across the country. Perish the thought.) 

Hi Jason FYI I bought a man Boxster S MY00 65k FSH about a month ago for a good deal. Missed S @ Weiltmeister 100k nice car for $23k. They are over ambitious on there pricing, good deals are out there.

Great cars BTW, after many air cooled 911's I am thoroughly enjoying and surprisingly quick with the side benefit of turning up the Bose, turning on climate control, crack sweaters (heated seats) and cruise control when needed. ie; delivery trip back from Melbourne @ 2 deg temps @ night!

For my two bits, I agree with ADS the hassle and extra price of the transporting, plus if when you get it home there is a warranty problem, what do you do?

with that particular car, I would still be inclined to get a PPI.  

Plus the PITA IMS problem, look for one with it done, if your not in a hurry to get one.

I would probably be looking closer to home and widening the net.

Plus all the little hassles this one has caused, .....would probably be a warning to me

the hassle and extra price of the transporting, plus if when you get it home there is a warranty problem, what do you do?

Herein lies the reason why Tassie used cars are more expensive than their mainland counterparts..... (the limited number of cars to choose from adds to this)

Hence the reason I was willing to pay more for a Cayenne and ultimately gave up on it!

Agreed ADS/ Niko I think I will have to take the Apple Isle off my list of car buying destinations.  I really want to find a good Box so am happy to wait for something good.  Would love to find a low k's car but maybe have to consider a higher k's car that has been well loved.

I see your point ANF, buying a car in Tassie must drive you up the wall (see what I did there- comedy gold!!)  Thanks for your help!!

I have no doubt that this vehicle will sit there for quite unsold for some time though.  ( I could be wrong though- it's happened before!)

I see your point ANF, buying a car in Tassie must drive you up the wall (see what I did there- comedy gold!!)  Thanks for your help!!

I have no doubt that this vehicle will sit there for quite unsold for some time though.  ( I could be wrong though- it's happened before!)

No worries Jason.... but unless your job is an actual comedian, I suggest you don't give up your day job to become one :) if it is a comedian then I suggest you do give up and find another :P

Agreed, the market for Boxsters, or any non mainstream car is limited down here....

Spoke to the previous owner again today.  She said she has not modified the vehicle in any way & that the S badge was on the car when she bought it.  I called the yard again today & made an offer of 21k based on having to add transport costs to the vehicle.  They refused to go lower than 23k.  So that will unfortunately be an end to it.

As a side note I got back on to CEVA today & queried the $2880 quote to transport a Porsche from Hobart to Brisbane.  I asked what it would cost for a 'normal' car- $1600.  When I questioned why the disparity they eventually stated that cars lower than 13cm from the lowest point of the chassis need to be transported on a special truck.  Anyone know off the top of their head how low a standard Boxster is for future reference???

Jason

something wrong with that quote. It cost me $1600 to get a Wrx Sti from hobart to brisbane.. and the same amount for my 911.

If you are serious, and I mean REALLY serious about buying the car, then feel free to get in touch and I may be able to assist. Have you seen the car in person? Have you had it inspected? Have you had someone inspect it for you? You may have mentioned this all earlier but I haven't read that far back. 

Hey Jason

Forget that Tassie car. You have already identified many reasons why not to buy, so thats it, walk.

There must be a huge number of Boxsters that fit your requirements a lot nearer to home than Tassie to investigate. Go see, try, if you like it get a PPI & negotiate to buy it. 

Simples!

Ooops, missed Niko's input. + 1 on that,

Archived