986 Boxster misleading car yard advert....Hobart

This one is on carsales and advertised as an "S" with low K's.  

It's not an S and it was actually sold by P.N.S.W. with the 2.7 motor in it.

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/_/AGC-AD-18254233

We had one of our members interested in it, and also a mate of mine.   

How do they get away with saying it's an S when it's not?   Apparently the books and receipts are all over the place too.

Low K's and advertised as having the 3.2 motor, so maybe it's had an IMS KABLOOEE problem, or similar and the bigger motor put in.

No centre air vent in the front bar, no twin exhaust, no Boxster S badge on the front consul  below the CD storage area in front of the auto teams lever, plus the red calipers.

the photos are very ordinary and few, plus the car yard says bugger all about the car itself.

youd spew if you didn't know these things and bought this as your first Porsche, only to find out later it's not.   I would also be a bit concerned about the K's stated, maybe they are the K.s on the 3.2 motor.

I reckon whoever traded it in, has hoodwinked the dealer.. they (the dealer) might not know that it is not an S.

Customers do dodgy things you know.. ( i know you are all shocked to hear that!) 

we recently had a fellow badge his 320 bmw as a 325 (or something like that)... i'm not a bmw expert.. he got me.. cost me a little when getting rid of it.

You may be right Mike, because the previous owner,  who had the car for about 5 years apparently sounded legite, when an enquiry was made, so they may have been taken in by the S badge.    Or may have been in cahoots with the yard.   Who knows. But surely who ever serviced the car would work out, there was a problem there.  

whichever way, some unsuspecting newbie to the marque, is going to get ripped if they haven't done their homework

Hi ANF,

would sure be interesting to get your thoughts on this car once you've actually cast your eye over it & given it a drive.  I was very interested in making an offer (& was speaking to the dealership in depth) but of course once Niko identified what looks like some very dodgy issues I got very shy.  Being in Brisbane I can't just nick down & have a look.  Please let us know your thoughts if you get to have a look.

Will be very interesting to see if they reply to Niko's inquiry.

cheers,

Jason

No not sure about that number, my engine number on my 2001 Boxster S is just "67106090"

I believe Jason actually spoke with PNSW, who sold the car new, and it was sold then with a 2.7 litre motor and not the advertised 3.2 motor 

That's correct, the Hobart dealership provided me with the VIN for that vehicle.  I provided same to PNSW (Sydney South- who had serviced the vehicle for the first 30k) they stated that VIN was for a standard 2.7 Boxster tip that they had delivered as a new vehicle to the original owner.  They wouldn't provide any further info due to "privacy" reasons.

Now that I think on it the previous owner I spoke to never really said anything about the vehicle being an S or not.  She just said it was a great vehicle that she had owned for 4 or 5 years & used as her 'fun' vehicle as she has a company car/ daily drive.  There was actually no mention of the engine size or model of the vehicle.  I spoke to her prior to me becoming aware of the possible 'S' issues.  

might have had a rear end... paint shop stuck the wrong badge on...

its hobart.

Use a paint gauge if you can get your hands on one to test the thickness... failing that, rely on your eyes looking for fish eyes and or dust marks.. they will be there if its repainted.

Either way, the car is NOT an S.... it's just got an extra badge.

That's correct, the Hobart dealership provided me with the VIN for that vehicle.  I provided same to PNSW (Sydney South- who had serviced the vehicle for the first 30k) they stated that VIN was for a standard 2.7 Boxster tip that they had delivered as a new vehicle to the original owner.  They wouldn't provide any further info due to "privacy" reasons.

Now that I think on it the previous owner I spoke to never really said anything about the vehicle being an S or not.  She just said it was a great vehicle that she had owned for 4 or 5 years & used as her 'fun' vehicle as she has a company car/ daily drive.  There was actually no mention of the engine size or model of the vehicle.  I spoke to her prior to me becoming aware of the possible 'S' issues.  

Do you know how long the car has been in Tassie?

It has new issue plates on it (same sequence as 2 cars we just bought that were from the mainland...)

The PO I spoke to said she had owned it for 4 years or so.  Previous reg was KAS123.  BOCCHINO Motors started issuing service receipts on 20/12/2012 at around 47000klms & have issued 2 more yearly receipts.

Archived