yet another Porsche crash...

Harvs11

Another example of "got the nice car, forgot to get the driving talent"  Special mention to the organisers for the safety barriers which did absolutely nothing to slow the car before it mowed down the spectators.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-06/british-millionaire-paul-bailey-crashes-porsche-into-spectators/6830388

I was at Gold Coast Indy in 1999 and a V8 supercar side swiped the temporary concrete jersey kerb. Moved it back about 200mm. They weigh about 7 ton.

Edit: they were joined together as well.

I'm horrified by the lack of proper safety device's at motor sport events since.

The surface the 918 was on was dirty as well. 

Like a demo here in Adelaide a few years ago

Some Speedway cars (Sprintcar I think) on bitumen, driver trying to slide it and it hooked up with grip and turned into the crowd.

The only safety was that orange plastic net fencing. A mates ex girlfriend was hit, as was her child. Wasn't pretty

WOW That looks nasty ,,,,makes you wonder about the lack of spectator protection ,,,,these sort of things always amaze me when you view them ,,one would think that common sense would tell you to put up some thing to protect on looker,s ,,the organizers are more at fault than the driver IMO...............:unsure:

At least there was water in those plastic barriers, but they don't even look like they're linked together which is pretty dumb. Should have been more protection to keep the car on track than that. Still amazes me how in this day and age with insurance public events can get away with these things and when the ordinary person tries to hold a very low key private motorsport event we're expected to be running hevier duty barriers to a higher standard than those for much lower speed impacts. Really boggles my mind.

I'm all for safety, but who ever ran over the risk calculations for spectators at that event should be forced to stand behind those barriers and have a car crash into them directly where they are standing. 

Could have been so much worse, but still very sad and tragic.  

Inexperienced driver played a big part, nevertheless those barriers and proximity of the spectators was / is a recipe for disaster. 

Mike, I don't think those barriers even had water in them.  In reality they were nothing more than a rope line to keep people off the runway.  Those plastic barriers usually have big warnings on the side saying they are not an impact barrier (full of water or empty)  The organizers need to be held accountable.  

Yet again the media was only interested in Porsche blaming. Not a word about the lack of safety  provisions. 

Another example of "got the nice car, forgot to get the driving talent"  Special mention to the organisers for the safety barriers which did absolutely nothing to slow the car before it mowed down the spectators.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-06/british-millionaire-paul-bailey-crashes-porsche-into-spectators/6830388

http://tfsport.co.uk/drivers

In scrolling down to Paul Bailey I wonder how much racing pedigree you need before you lose your "No driving talent" tag.  Sometimes "shit just happens."

Mike, I don't think those barriers even had water in them.  In reality they were nothing more than a rope line to keep people off the runway.  Those plastic barriers usually have big warnings on the side saying they are not an impact barrier (full of water or empty)  The organizers need to be held accountable.  

I thought they were empty too until I replayed and it looks like water comes out of one of the barriers

Archived