Best Cleaner for 944 rear spoiler

Monzta944

G'day Gents,

I have a pretty immaculate 944 S2 that I am confident to clean and polish with all products I've used on my other cars, except the rear wing. I don't want to put the wrong product on it as it has survived like new for 21 years and I don't want to degrade it by using the wrong product.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

Guest vas930

Put a good cover of vaseline on it now and then. Let it soak it up and take of the rest with a rag. It will come up nice and black and keep it soft.

For regular wash and clean I just use armorall. :)

Put a good cover of vaseline on it now and then. Let it soak it up and take of the rest with a rag. It will come up nice and black and keep it soft.

For regular wash and clean I just use armorall. :)

Hi Vas,

Does the same apply for the black parts of a 911 wing??

cheers

Peter

armour all,put on heaps let it sit for 10 or more minutes

then wipe it dry

the more often you do it ,over time will require less

eg ,in the future a slightly dampened rag with armour all then wipe dry and should gleam with limited fuss

also applicable to tyre sidewalls

has anyone seen the accelerated effects of Armour-all...BRITTLE...

over a couple of years it may be ok,but with continued use and lots of exposure i have seen plastic turn to powder...

consider my recipe un this section for soft leather care, it can be used for your wings too.

it is a hell of a lot cheaper, you will use a hell of a lot less and it is better long term with no chemicals in it...

Guest vas930

I have not seen this snowdrift. Have you seen the same issue on rubber or just plastic?

The part in question is rubber(rear wing).

I have not seen this snowdrift. Have you seen the same issue on rubber or just plastic?

The part in question is rubber(rear wing).

don't know what it is but yes i have seen it cause same decay in rubbers, you should see what its done to the steering wheel in our Frontera...

its effects are like barake fluid on paint, very slow...

there is no way in hell i would be putting that on my Porsche, i do have a bottle of Armour-all in my cleaning products...NOTE i said cleaning...

it is good for deep grime but get it off ASAP then if you have to use a quality product like Meguiars or my own personal recipe...

I had heard about Armour-all causing issues several years ago and tend to only use it to clean vinyl surfaces.

Have found the Meguiars product easy to apply and gives a good long term shine, yet rain tends to disolve the treatment and I notice staining on the black duco which almost looks acidic :o (comes away with a polish).

Must say I'm a little hesitant to start smearing vaseline or a combination of oils and soap on my pride an joy; however, I might try a few experiments on a small area to gauge the result.

Cheers,

Stepo

Guest vas930

The vaseline is not for cleaning, its like a moisturiser. A one or two time a year job.

Plenty of products can clean the rubber. Its the moisturiser/conditioner that keeps the rubber soft and looking good over a long time. Vaseline is petroleum jelly, rubber is a petroleum based product. We can wash our skin with soap and make it clean, but to keep it soft we use a moisturiser. Some products try to do both, eg Armourall. Many people have used it for a long time and are happy with the result. Snowdrift makes a good point from his own experience and has come up with a great product of his own.

I say lets put it to the test. I have some rubber Porsche parts left over from my resto.

On saturday I will start the experiment.

4 cleaning products, 3 off the shelf and snowdrifts

4 protection/conditioner based products, inc vaseline.

Lets do this over a year to get a good idea.

Post anything you want me to add to the experiment before saturday and we can come up with a final plan.

At the end we will have some good results to talk over, and some facts.

I will stay with the external rubber, if anyone wants to do the leather or plastic that would be great.

Why do I find this type of thing fun? :D

Try a product called "Plastic Care" from a company called Wurth. It has similar consistency to vaseline and works an absolute treat. It brings all rubbers and plastics up like new. Not Cheap but personally i wouldnt use anything else.

Cheers

Danny

Guest vas930

OK Snowdrift I will put yours in with the cleaner/conditioner test. :)

Anyone want to do a test on leather or plastic? You know I wont let it go. :D

Guest vas930

Yes Doug, something like that.

I think they should be washed now and then also to keep it real.

Open to any ideas.

Starts saturday. :)

Yes Doug, something like that.

I think they should be washed now and then also to keep it real.

Open to any ideas.

Starts saturday. :)

i think you got it vas

wash external parts with usual cleaning products/soaps etc

try to get internal parts a little dusty too

Guys,

what can I say? Awesome support to the thread, looking forward to hearing how it turns out. I don't have any spare parts for the S2 otherwise I'd offer up to test whatever wasn't being done.

• 1 year later...

Archived