'88 944 Turbo S on Carsales

Hi guys

Not long ago started looking around at 944's to buy. I've noticed there's a 944 Turbo S for sale on Carsales which ticks a lot of boxes for me.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-944-1988/SSE-AD-2905334/?Cr=0

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wakerley/cars-vans-utes/1988-porsche-944-turbo-s-coupe-immaculate-condition/1051521067

Seems to be a great car, (perhaps priced on the high side?), but unfortunately I'm down in Sydney and unable to inspect for myself for a little while. Just wondering if anyone has any more info or opinions on this car?

One concern I have is that according to his Gumtree listing it's been for sale for over a year now... so I thought maybe someone on here may have checked it out at some stage and perhaps could share some concerns why this has been slow to move - is it just the price, or because it's a somewhat recent import? Obviously due to distance it would be great to know if there is some underlying issue that someone may have picked up on or can spot from this listing.

I spent a little while a few days ago searching the forums but couldn't seem to find any discussion about this particular listing. Thanks for any help you can provide!

I've been noticing the persistence of this one for ages now and also wonder what the issue/s are, apart from being a UK import.  Price shouldn't be an issue if the vehicle presents as advertised. Happy to have a look if you'd like to drop me a PM.

Hi guys

My preference is that any inspection is done in a sober state but I guess that's out of my control :lol:

Thanks Rob. I guess the lack of response here just adds to the mystery of this car. I'll drop you a PM now and hopefully we can arrange something.

Cheers all

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

I haven't forgotten about you, you will just have to hang on a bit longer :) As I have a holiday booked up on the GC shortly, I decided to wait it out and lay eyes on the car first and hopefully arrange to meet Rob while I'm up there (assuming it's still for sale then :o)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys

Just thought I'd let you know, I had decided not to proceed with purchasing this mainly due to previous rust repairs plus a couple other things. Knowing that, I didn't want to waste Rob's time inspecting or money by paying for an inspection.. Seller seemed pretty helpful though, so if you're interested go check it out for yourself, I'm sure there's someone who isn't concerned about it or perhaps it's not that bad... I'd just prefer to wait and see what else pops up. Big thanks to Rob for his help.

I also gave this motor the once (twice) over. Engine seemed really solid (not sure what your thought Ed?) the amount of repair and minor works were disappointing.. The side skirt had the applied stone chip stipple which was only ok (application was a bit sub par) there was also something weird about the roof, and can only assume either repair or change in the roof somewhere along the line. Been for sale forever, but a very good drive. Price is strong considering it's a recent import from the uk, but seller has an excellent history of the car. Would suit a fun car purchase more than the purist. Wasn't shifting on price much. 

The fact it's an import and has rust issues would scare me off(and that I think the price is too high for an import) but putting that aside, I am not a fan of the cosmetic mods. Silver Turbo badge, 968 mirrors, the painted rear bumper, red brake calipers, dash gauges, shift knob and the engine intake cover thing(polished metal in engine bay) are not to my tastes. I also think the wheels are too big and would question if the castor blocks were upgraded as Porsche suggests when fitting larger wheels. I also would be worried about the new coolant tank(sometimes they have to be replaced after the engine has been cooked), although new ones look much cleaner.

Positives are interior looks mint, it's an S with right upgrade options(LSD etc), and sunroof delete etc, and well documented history.

All of the above are just about my tastes, and it may be a great car, so sorry if it all sounds harsh, but it's just my $0.02 worth :)

Thanks guys. I agree with both of you, It was mainly the undocumented rust repairs & the blingy bits which put me off in the end, plus the aircon wasn't working and was waiting repair by the seller. Kpac you may be on to something, I also had received some info that it wasn't original paint, despite what the seller had claimed but he may not have been aware.

Anyway doesn't matter now, I received a Carsales notification yesterday that it's sold now, so good luck to the new owner and hope they enjoy their ride (at the end of the day their bum is in a 944 and mine isn't :P)

Cheers

It drove exceptional in my opinion. But had seen enough work that it was a fair distance from original. The seller was a decent guy about everything, and knew the motor itself would eventually sell it. And it did. I'm not so sure the AC wasn't working, i assume that was about all you could expect in qld under that much glass?

Archived